Fire Pit Instructions?

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:29 pm
I'm almost done with my sunflower garden and I want to build a fire pit next. Some may call this a fire ring.

I did some research and learned I had to dig a circle as big as I want my pit (one site says it doesn't have to be more than 3-4ft). No problem as I've been digging gardens all around my yard.
I have gathered a large amount of rocks (mostly small, but vary in size) and am wondering if I can use these to line the pit for starters.
I know the pit needs to be away from the house, trees, tall grass, etc, so that's all set.

I would just like some advice from all you smart folks out here before I get started.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 7
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:36 pm
get a wheel rim from a truck graveyard or from a McCormack Deering tractor (they have a separate rim) Dig out your pit , line the bottom with rocks and then put rocks around the top of the wheel rim. The dirt wont collapse by ashing, and when you change yer mind again (which will happen in 2 years or less) , you can reclaim the area with some new dirt and remove the metal ring.

We have a big firepit at our camp and its great for just keeping a nice fire going. I had a guy make a stand and some legs out of diamond plate with some holes and we use this as a cook top sometimes.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:40 pm
Hey, thanks for dropping by Farmer and for the advice.

Ok, I line the hole with rocks, put rim on top of those rocks and put more rocks on top of rim.

You think I'll get sick of my pit?

We've got a John Deer place not too far from here and I'm thinking I can probebly get a used one there or at least they can tell me where I can get one.

Thanks again :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:42 pm
Would that rim fit in a normal size trunk?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:47 pm
No, JD rims are not open in the center. You need a rim like adonut no spokes or ****. Just an open circle. This you insert into the hole so that the rim defines the shape of the hole. I suggested that you just line rocks up to the edge of the rim so it doesnt bake the soil. You can lay rocks in the bottom of the pit also. The rim is used to make a nice neat circular hole all lined with metal. Some truck rims can be like 20 inches or more in diameter.

The speedawy in ST STephens has em laying around (they had truck races there) . How far are you from ST STpehen?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:46 pm
Ok, I get ya now. St Stephens is a few hour drive, but I live in tractorville/truckville, so I bet I can find me one of those there rims to go in there.

Sounds like a nice set up. The one you described with the legs sounds really cool.

I've got all this land, so I might as well do something with it and I like the work. It keeps me fit and it's fun :-D

About how wide would you say I should make it?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 04:35 am
I measured our and its a liitle bigger than about 22 Inches in diameter. The ring defines its size . Also the ring makes it esy to clean out the ashes when they get too deep.. I like a fire pit over a permanent stone or block fireplace because evey fireplace I know winds up becoming a trash burning center when the people get tired of the novelty. A fire pit can be moved, disappeared, or otherwise changed in function and it never is seen again.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:11 am
Cool! Thanks Farmer :-D
0 Replies