Hydrotech Water Softner with Fleck 5600 or 2510?

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 12:01 am
Is anyone familiar with Hydrotech water softeners? www.hydrotechwater.com

I was looking at getting either the 5600 or 5600SE Valve or the 2510.
It would be used in a house with 2 adults and 2 children. 2100 sqft and 3 baths.

Any thoughts?

Is there any big advantage to getting the SE version?

Also, I was going to get a PuROLine-4000 Reverse Osmosis System. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for any advice
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 14,343 • Replies: 39
Topic Closed
No top replies

NickFun

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 12:16 am
I know all about them. They suck. Get yourself some bottled water.
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 06:45 am
Any water treatment wil be an improvement in nearly all situations with both the whole house and drinking water applications.

As you can imagine quality in water treatment equipment can go a long way or take some unfortunate shortcuts.

The water softener valves you see are simply the same generic valves you can get from a reputable plumbing supply store you can find locally. Check prices locally before you buy on the net. Try to include in your estimation water analysis, plumbing check and installation costs. I prefer to have someone actually present to inspect the work before it happens.

Fleck makes valves for a large number of companies and often the company puts their label on them and then advertise how they have an engineering and R&N departments to assure top quality.

These valves work well and have a warranty that reflects the manufacturer's trust in the reliability of their own products.

Fleck also makes a couple of twin valves so you wouldn't have to figure the number of people, baths or gallons used on a day-to-day basis.

Before sure to get an accurate water analysis before you buy anything.

The RO is as basic as they come. I rather doubt under real circumstances that it will product 35 gpd. Those figures are gathered in lab conditions with higher than typical pressure and temperature. Actual production is in the neighborhood or 12-15 gpd.

I have seen the same model number with two prefilters and with one, so not sure which you are talking about.

I would imagine that it has an automatic shut-off as most of even the cheapest ROs have. However, if it doesn't advertise it; make sure that it offers that so the water is not running all the time.

It allows for generic filter replacement that may not be recommended into housings that need to be serviced. The tank is a bladder-style tank that holds app. 1.5 gallons of water and operated by an air bladder. As the bladder expands the pressure at the faucet will drop. It will refill at about 0.5 gph.

Warranty may not include membrane.

Naturally, there are higher quality models offered and price often reflects quality, warranty, reliability and production.

Andy Christensen
0 Replies

magicman

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:43 am
I got a quote of $1600 for both the water softner (5600 valve) and the RO. That price also includes installation. Is that a good price?
Is it worth getting the SE version? Or the 2510 valve?

Thanks
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:47 am
Re: Hydrotech Water Softner with Fleck 5600 or 2510?
magicman wrote:
Is anyone familiar with Hydrotech water softeners? www.hydrotechwater.com

I was looking at getting either the 5600 or 5600SE Valve or the 2510.
It would be used in a house with 2 adults and 2 children. 2100 sqft and 3 baths.

Any thoughts?

Is there any big advantage to getting the SE version?

Also, I was going to get a PuROLine-4000 Reverse Osmosis System. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for any advice

Unless you are a dealer, you can't buy from Hydrotech. If you were a dealer you'd know the difference between the different valves you mention so I assume you are a DIYer wanting to buy over the internet and install the equipment yourself.

All the valves you mention are good and come in mechanical metered or electronic metered, or 12 day timer versions. The SE is the electronic version of both and you wouldn't want a day timer.

The SE version allows changing of the length of time of each cycle position of a regeneration, which only a dealer would know what length of time was needed so for the consumer, that usually isn't a benefit unless your water quality changed drastically in the future.

No Fleck valve can be easily rebuilt by the consumer.

They all require special control valve model specific Fleck tools.

A much better choice for a DIYer is the latest and greatly improved version of the Fleck line of valves and that is the Clack WS-1. It is the same one moving part in the water stream piston, seals and spacers design as the Fleck valves but with many fewer and less expensive parts that are replaced in only a few minutes by a novice DIYer. You can totally rebuid one in less than 30 minutes even if you have no mechanical abilities. And all you need is a pair of channel lock (slip joint or water pump) pliers. Except for the power, meter and motor cables, there are no other wires, or contact switches on a Clack; unlike Fleck valves.

Most people that buy an RO don't need one unless they have something in the water that an RO is used to reduce; which would be a health related contaminate

A 2 stage under counter filter with a high quality carbon block cartridge and Ro faucet is a less expensive choice and maintenance is much less expensive while the filter doesn't have a storage tank to break or take up valuable under sink space and you have full line water pressure rather than 7-10 lbs out of an RO's storage tank. Thereby it is a much better choice unless you have contaminated water; not to include any type of bacteria. You should not use either on water that is contaminated by bacteria.

So check out a Clack WS-1 control valve on a correctly sized softener. You'll like it much more than a Fleck valve.
0 Replies

magicman

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 08:57 am
Thanks for the info Gary, actually I am going through a local dealer and was quoted $1600 for the 5600 valve water softner and RO and they will install it for me.

I'm trying to decide if the water softner and RO they are selling me is good and if the price is reasonable.

From all my research so far it sounds like Fleck is a very good valve, but I don't know what kind to get (5600 or 2510)and if it should be metered or electronic metered or the SE version.

Since it sounds like either of the valves are good, what about the company Hydrotech? Is the overall product good?

Thanks for all your help on this so far!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:05 am
magicman wrote:

From all my research so far it sounds like Fleck is a very good valve, but I don't know what kind to get (5600 or 2510)and if it should be metered or electronic metered or the SE version.

The metered 2510SE has served my clients well. They are low maintenance.
0 Replies

magicman

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:48 am
Thanks H20_MAN,

What are the main differences between the 5600 and 2510? Besides low maintenance what makes the 2510SE better? I think that is the one I am leaning towards.

Do you have any experience with Hydrotech water softeners?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 10:56 am
magicman wrote:
Thanks H20_MAN,

What are the main differences between the 5600 and 2510? Besides low maintenance what makes the 2510SE better? I think that is the one I am leaning towards.

Do you have any experience with Hydrotech water softeners?

The 5600 line is the low end Fleck valve. The problematic RainSoft Silver and Gold series valves are built on the 5600 platform...

The 2510 is much more robust, easier to work on and offers higher flow rates.

I have had no dealings with Hydrotech.

Keep in mind, Fleck makes the valve - not the softener.
I suggest you find a local dealer that offers a softener with the 2510SE.

HTH ~
0 Replies

magicman

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 11:00 am
Thanks for the info. It sounds like I should go with the 2510SE. I am working with a local dealer that offers a Hydrotech with the 2510 or 5600.

They were going to install both the 5600 and a RO for $1600. I'll see how much it will be for the 2510SE. It sounds like it will be worth it though.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 12:48 pm
The physical size in cubic feet dictates the price and I doubt you know the size but... maybe they gave you a K figure.

For either control valve the $1600 is a bit high for a local dealer and WAY high compared to the internet for the same thing minus installation and the RO. I sell both of those models and the highest delivered price is roughly $500-700 for up a 1.0 to 1.5 cubic foot (48K). Installation can be hired for usually less than $400. Or you can buy the soldering kit at Lowe's etc, for like $55 and practice for 30 minutes and learn to solder; I've taught many wannbe DIYers how to solder. And you get to keep the tools when ya git'r done (in about 2.5-3 hrs).

Hydrotech supplies dealers (a wholesaler). Your warranty will be back to the component parts' manufacturer through the dealer then Hydrotech to Fleck, Structural Fibers, Purolite etc.. The same when you buy over the internet.

So what does the additional money you pay the local dealer get you?
0 Replies

magicman

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:32 pm
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your input on this. So are you saying I would be better off buying this online and then trying to do it myself or hiring a local plumber to do it for me?

If so do you recommend any particular website? Would I then just go to the yellow pages and pick a plumber and see if they can install it?

I'm in Las Vegas, if you happen to know any dealers that you would recommend let me know.

Thanks
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 02:39 pm
magicman wrote:

They were going to install both the 5600 and a RO for $1600. I'll see how much it will be for the 2510SE. It sounds like it will be worth it though.

Maybe you can get the SE installed for no additional charge - that would be an excellent deal.

Vegas has every single brand name known to man represented - look for the company with the best customer service 1st. best price 2nd.

HTH ~
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Tue 20 Mar, 2007 05:43 pm
magicman wrote:
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your input on this. So are you saying I would be better off buying this online and then trying to do it myself or hiring a local plumber to do it for me?

You're welcome. If you describe better off as saving hundreds of bucks, yes.

Quote:
If so do you recommend any particular website? Would I then just go to the yellow pages and pick a plumber and see if they can install it?

There are many web sites selling what you are looking at. Do a search for either of them and compare prices and what you get for the price.

[quote}I'm in Las Vegas, if you happen to know any dealers that you would recommend let me know.[/quote]

I have customers in Las Vegas but no names of anyone that does installations. If my customers are an example, maybe 98% of the people buying over the internet do their own installations. My guess is the others use the yellow pages looking for a plumber or dealer to do the installation.

I still say you should take a look at the Clack WS-1.
0 Replies

magicman

Sat 24 Mar, 2007 10:58 am
H2O_MAN I know you like the 2510 Valve Softeners and when I talked to my dealer they said it is very good as well, but they also said I should look into the ProFlo Valve Softeners. Do you have any thoughts on this?
0 Replies

magicman

Sat 24 Mar, 2007 11:00 am
Here is a link to the ProFlo Valve Softeners...

http://www.hydrotechwater.com/Water%20Softeners/ProFlo%20Valve%20US.htm

Let me know what you guys think.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 26 Mar, 2007 06:22 am
magicman wrote:
Let me know what you guys think.

I can tell the ProFlo valve is made by Fleck, but that's all I know about it.
It looks like it uses the 5600. The 2510SE is a better valve...
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Mon 26 Mar, 2007 10:26 am
The ProFlo has been around for 10+ years; it is a full 1" ported valve. It is way different than the 5600; a full ported 3/4" valve. The 2510 is 3/4" also.

It was originally called the 5000. It is made in only the electronic version, no more mechanical metered. It is not very popular due to it's bad rep from the begining days due to mechanical problems. The same as the mechanical 8500, now the TwinFlo 100e, which is a gret twin tank control valve but it is limited in size. I would not go with the ProFlo for a softener, a large heavy mineral filter I would use it if not for the Clack WS-1 (full ported 1") or the 1.25 (full ported 1.25").
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sun 1 Apr, 2007 12:30 pm
Gary Slusser wrote:
The ProFlo has been around for 10+ years; ... It is not very popular due to it's bad rep from the begining days due to mechanical problems.

That explains why I never used a ProFlo ~ thanks.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Sun 1 Apr, 2007 05:34 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
That explains why I never used a ProFlo ~ thanks.

I'm glad to help. I see you're quick to judge but you might want to look at the Proflo, it is a better valve than the 2510. It isn't near as good as the Clack WS-1 though.
0 Replies