Stupid meteorology!

roger

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 01:17 pm
@JPB,
Sure. That's what temperate means. Freeze in the winter; bake in the summer; average it out and it's pretty nice.

Kind of like riding a bicycle on hills. As long as you return to your starting point, on average your ride is perfectly flat.
JPB

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 01:40 pm
@roger,
true dat!

We knew this was coming so we closed up the house early this morning while it was still in the 60s outside. Then, I took a page out of Grandma's past and fixed our main meal at noontime while the house was still cool. It's still only 70 inside and it's 92 outside, even after making rice and a stir fry for lunch (dinner? Grandma calls the mid-day meal dinner). We'll have something simple and cool for supper.

We're forecast for three days of 90s and then back into the 70s on Thursday (49 for a low). I generally don't turn my AC on unless it gets well into the 80s inside and there's no end in site. I hate paying ComEd to cool my house when I'll be bitching about how cold it is within a day or two.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:23 pm
@JPB,
We've been having unusually cool weather for this time of year in Silicon Valley. It's still in the mid-sixties when we should be in the mid-seventies range. We're also still getting rain, which is very unusual for June. It still feels like March for us.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Actually, these temperatures in California weren't too bad - for us Wink
(We arrived four weeks ago in snow and had had temperatures in the low 30's for two days, drove through sandstorms in Nevada and now, they've forecast temperatures in the 90's, up to 100 .... when we'll fly home.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 07:35 am
Our weather guy is saying that today could be the hottest day in Chicago in 5 - 6 years. Then, by Friday, the lows will be in the 40s and the highs in the 60s! Stupid meteorology!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:03 am
Today

http://maps.wunderground.com/data/ndfdimages/T201106081800_us.png

Tomorrow
http://maps.wunderground.com/data/ndfdimages/T201106091800_us.png

Friday
http://maps.wunderground.com/data/ndfdimages/T201106101800_us.png

Come OOOOOOOONNNNNNNN, cold front!!!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 12:22 pm
@JPB,
The forecast for our area is 72; the warmest it's been for quite some time.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:35 pm
@JPB,
That's it! I'm moving to Montana.
roger

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:39 pm
@Thomas,
Yeah, great place if you don't like boring weather.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:46 pm
We had a hell of a storm tonight . . . but no meteors.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 12:15 pm

north of here.
pretty amazing view of the lightning strikes from up here on the 6th floor...

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/tornadowarning.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:07 pm
Eek
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:09 pm
For the past couple of hours, there have been a bunch of red blobs moving menacingly towards us, and I keep waiting to be slammed and it keeps not happening. It's like there is a large force field over the whole city of Columbus -- the blobs go north, the blobs go south, the blobs dissipate just before they reach us.

I don't want 75-mph winds (which is evidently the top speed of some of the blobs) and more damage and power outages -- but I DO want rain, very much. And taking the edge off of this heat would be nice, too.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 01:39 pm
Quote:
July 2012 was hottest month on record for contiguous U.S.
since record keeping began in 1895, NOAA says

The average temperature across the Lower 48 was 77.6 degrees Fahrenheit, 3.3 degrees above the 20th-century average,
the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration reported. That edged out the previous high mark, set in 1936,
by two-tenths of a degree, NOAA said.

In addition, the seven months of 2012 to date are the warmest of any year on record and were drier than average as well,
NOAA said. U.S. forecasters started keeping records in 1895.
(cnn)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 06:52 am

at the other end of the spectrum, it is currently F in bahstin...
Ragman

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 06:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Pretty densely foggy in sw FL coast here today. Warmish not bad 62 F and will be going to the low 70s, so the forecasters say. Another day in paradise.

We have had a drier than normal year...not quite a drought..yet. Also we've had a mild 'winter', by s/w FL standards. I'd call what they have here more like mid-fall. At the worst, in late January and Feb it could cross below the freezing mark a few times at night for a few hours ... but nothing close yet!

In the summer, you don't wanna know. Sticky hot (72-74 deg F dew points and 90+ deg temp) but the saving grace is the sea breeze as we live within a few miles of the Gulf. Without that ... well you have Orlando...who roasts in hell at summer (April-November) without a breeze. BTW, add 10 degrees to whatever weather reports you see in the weather news for Orlando.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 12:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
In warm, sunny New Mexico, it was also 5 F last night. I been robbed.
jespah

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2013 04:35 pm
@roger,
Dammit, it is COLD in Bahstin.

I went outside for a 30 minute walk. I have been home since then for 90 minutes. The space heater is crankin' and I am still chilled.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 07:01 am
Wish-casting is a word used by weather geeks when they want an impending storm to go elsewhere from where it's forecast to go. It can also mean wishing for a strong storm to watch. In this case I don't want it to go elsewhere or to get stronger, I want it to go away! We're on a 2-6" band for overnight tonight. That's nothing compared to the 2-3' that some folks are going to get out of this storm. And, there's another one headed for New England over the weekend. ENOUGH ALREADY!!! Go away!

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xradarb3.gif
jespah

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 07:55 am
Argh.

Boston.com agrees. No wonder I'm cranky. The weekends have recently really sucked around here.
0 Replies