Stupid meteorology!

roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 03:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
2packs might be from Missouri. Somewhere down there, anyway.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 03:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
2 Packs lives in Missouri and Snood and Arella Mae live in Louisiana, but I'm fuzzy on exactly where.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 03:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Yup 2Packs was my first thought. He hasn't posted in months, but still, I worry.
JPB

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 11:15 am
Today could be a very rough day in the southern plains.

Quote:
"This is a very serious situation brewing," center director Russell Schneider said.

The center cited a "moderate risk" of severe weather in central and southeast Kansas and southwestern Missouri, which could include Joplin. It raised the warning for severe weather in central Oklahoma, southern Kansas and north Texas to "high risk," indicating that tornadoes will hit in those areas.

The center also issued a high-risk warning before the deadly outbreak last month that killed 314 people across the South over two days.

Speaking from London, President Barack Obama said he would travel to Joplin on Sunday. The death toll rose to 117 Tuesday, making it the single deadliest U.S. tornado in more than six decades.

Some 1,500 people were reported missing, according to Keith Stammer of Jasper County Emergency Management. That tally could include many who simply have not yet been able to let relatives know they are fine, authorities said. More
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 11:19 am
@ehBeth,
I heard from 2packs last week. He was wet but drying out as of then. He's been dealing with a bunch of other stuff too. Hopefully he escaped the latest rounds of weather related issues.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:34 pm
Tonight's squall line is pretty ugly too.

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xradarb4_anim.gif

I just heard that there was a tornado touched down outside of Columbus. I assume that's Columbus OH. Stay safe out there!
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:21 pm
@JPB,
It isn't going to be over anytime soon. The winds in ABQ are finally starting to calm down tonight so there will be a very short break, but they are to pick up again and by Sunday be up to 60 mph gusts.

If there was just a little more dust in the air, we could probably hang our pots and dishes out on a line and let the wind sandblast them clean rather than using up the precious water.
roger

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:39 pm
@Butrflynet,
At least you don't have to go to Arizona when Arizona comes to you.

I'm going to mount a plow upside down and send a plowing invoice to Kingman.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:52 pm
When we were close to Reno, vehicles on the I 80 hd to stop a couple of times: gusts with more than 80 mph (according to local tv stations) and you couldn't see the front of your own car because of the sand/dust.

But some drivers must have a good radar in their cars installed: no headlights on and driving close to the speed limit ...

Now, two hours later, it has calmed a bit .... and all the mountains around Reno are covered in .... SNOW.
roger

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Dust, like snow and fog reflects the headlight beams in a blinding manner. Better to just turn them off and hope no slow cars get in front of you.

In Reno, it's best to reject any guide offers from anyone named Donner. Just advice for the next time, you know.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I was wondering if you had passed the area of concern on the weather maps.
Those drivers seem like dumkopfs, to me anyway, re the speed. I dunno, I haven't driven much in dust/sandstorms. Fog, yes... and that only in daylight.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 10:23 pm
@roger,
I disagree re headlights: of course, full beam would be foolish, but low beam would at least give me a chance to notice the car in the rear mirror ... and rear lights would be nice as well.

(Twice today, that wouldn't have been any help, since for a few moments I even couln't see where my car's - a Camray, not a stretched limousine! - front was.)
roger

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 10:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Aha! Sure, the low beam would help you see them approach from the rear. And if they are overtaking from the rear, well, you just might be going to slowly.

When I was a kid in South Florida, we adjusted the left headlight down and to the right. Missed most of the glare, and somewhat illuminated the edge of the road.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:24 pm
KABOOOM!!!!!

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/640x480/2xradara4_anim.gif
Thomas

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 01:40 pm
@JPB,
Oh how I wish we could have your thunderstorm!
JPB

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 01:43 pm
@Thomas,
I thought the east coast was supposed to get nailed this weekend? Are you in a drought too? Or, do you just like loud noises?
Thomas

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 02:35 pm
@JPB,
I am in heat and humidity, devoid of thunderstorms and rain. Stupid meteorology!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 02:39 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas, You gotta move to the west coast where the climate is moderate and comfortable. One can easily visit the ocean, mountains, and many places of interest from here.
roger

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 02:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yer too late. He's already seen New Mexico.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:17 am
It's gonna be a hot one today in the middle of the country.

http://maps.wunderground.com/data/ndfdimages/T201106061800_us.png