Vacation in Waterville, Maine?

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:20 am
E.G. will be going to a conference in Waterville, Maine this summer. We are trying to figure out if it would be worth it to go as a family. We would probably have bare-bones accomodations provided -- a dorm room. Confused I have been looking on the internet for more info about Waterville and it looks nice and picturesque but I'm not super impressed yet.

Any opinions?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,192 • Replies: 19
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:27 am
Sorry, I've never been there.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 09:34 am
When I first got married (1965) the Maine turnpike stopped at Waterville Maine. It now continues to the Canadian border where you enter Canada at Houlton Maine. There are many coastal towns with wonderful views and satisfying eateries within striking distance.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:35 am
sorry soz..I havent been there either. Maine is for the most part a pleasant place to visit, at least in the summer.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:37 am
You'd be right in the heart of the Belgrade Lakes region and not to far from Augusta (State Cap.) or the coast down in Boothbay Harbor, Rockland and Bar Harbor.

The "to do" list for Maine is pretty much touring the coast, boating/fishing on the lakes or wandering in the woods (I'm surprised that haven't made climbing Mt. Katahdin a requirement once you enter the state. Smile ). If you aren't into the outdoors or coastal cruising there is a whole lot else that is "big" going on most of the year.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:14 am
I've vacationed in Maine a few times. I've never had a bad time, always found a lot to do - hiking, climbing, falling off the side of the state (when Setanta and I visited Marley Francis Billions and Billions of Stars), taking photos ... walking some more.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:23 am
We're very into the outdoors. I haven't found anything yet that gives details of what's available. The coast seems to be about 30 miles away (?) Are the lakes swimmable?

(Note to ehBeth -- the sozlet still LOVES your deerhuaha. She thinks it's a reindeer, though.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:18 pm
Will you have access to a rental while you're there? There are so many little trips you can take in that area. I'd recommend skipping Bar Harbor. On the far side of tourist-trappy. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:36 pm
Yeah, looking to avoid tourist-trappy.

If we do it, we'd get a rental car. But it would be a more attractive trip if we wouldn't have to travel far to the good stuff.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:40 pm
The lakes are clean enough to swim in but they may be a tad cold. Brrrrrr. Very Happy

For some outdoorsy ideas you might take a peek at:
http://www.kennebecvalley.org/
http://www.kennebechighlands.org/project.html

If you have some time and are willing to travel some you could toodle on up to Baxter State Park.

I'm not sure what kind of schedule EG has or how long you'll be in that area but for some possible accomodations that aren't your standard hotel:
http://www.belgradecottages.com/camps.asp
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:42 pm
Oh, good stuff. Thanks, fishin'!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:42 pm
I aim to please mam! Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:46 pm
BTW there Soz.. If you happen to be up there the 3rd week of July you could hit the Rockland Blues festival. Wink
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:48 pm
Oh you're serious? Very cool! That is exactly precisely the week we (well, at least E.G.) plan to be up there. Hmmm!

I wrote to the cottages place for more info. Looks NICE!! Much better than a dorm. Confused
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:48 pm
http://www.maineguide.com/waterville/

WELCOME TO
WATERVILLE, MAINE

Welcome! Today is Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Located just 20 miles northeast of Augusta, Waterville is centrally located in Maine. Numerous hospitals, colleges, resident industries and corporations make Waterville a thriving small Maine community. Access to several lakes, snowmobiling trails and more is within driving distance. A wide variety of affordable accommodations makes Waterville a friendly place to visit.

Use the search utility to easily find business web sites.
enter keywords

Travel & Vacation Links:

Accommodations
Restaurants
Real Estate
Local Augusta Weather
Outdoor Recreation
Campgrounds

Map Links:

Kennebec Valley Regional Map

Area Attractions:

Community Links and General Interest: [ Suggest a Link ]

Real Estate:
Fortin and Redmond Associates We buy land and harvest it, and resell the land. Our land is throughout Maine, N.H. and Vermont.

Municipal / Government:
Town of Pittsfield The town of Pittsfield is online with this municiple web site with information about the area.

Colleges and Universities:
Colby College
Kennebec Valley Technical College
Thomas College

Add URL
Tell a Friend

GENERAL MAINE
INFORMATION
SITE SEARCH
MaineGuide.com
Explore Maine
Travel Information
MaineVacationRentals.com
MaineAutoMall.com
MaineChat.com
MaineEvents.com
MaineOutdoors.com
Real Estate
News and Weather

MAINE REGIONS
South Coast
Mid Coast
Western Mountains
Kennebec-Moose River
Down East - Acadia
Katahdin-Moosehead
Aroostook County

QUALITY MAINE PRODUCTS
Delorme Maps
Maine Lobster
Christmas Wreaths
The Gift Shop
YOUR MAINE UPDATE
An Electronic Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list (simply input your email address) and you'll receive site updates, special offers and other online news from Maine!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:51 pm
Blues festival info:
http://www.northatlanticbluesfestival.com/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 12:52 pm
We're on a roll! I was decidedly "eh" just a bit ago, now I'm gettin' interested.

Thanks bobsmyth, good link.

Gonna check out the blues fest info now...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 01:04 pm
Holy cannolli!!!!

I used to attend summer camp in an adjacent town named Bingham.

There are many lovely attractions in the area. Try Wyman Lake, which was manmade over an old town (Wyman, of course). Somewhere under where you swim, there are headstones. But it's very cold this time of year - you do better the later in the summer you go.

About an hour or so North is Baxter State Park, wherein you can see Mt. Katahdin, the highest mountain in Maine and the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. You could even take the sozlet to Chimney Pond on Katahdin - it's a safe (albeit probably a bit long and steeper than a standard street) walk which, with a child, would take perhaps a day. They have cabins by the lake (bring bug spray; trust me on this - you'll need it far more than sunscreen) so you can hike up one day, sleep over and hang out, then hike back the following day. You can then say you've hiked a part of the AT, plus Chimney Pond is pretty. There's a ranger station there (at least there was when I was a kid). I believe you'll need reservations if you want to stay in the cabins. You'd need to bring food, can't recall if you need to bring cooking gear. I'm sure the ranger will know, of course.

Outlet shopping (LL Bean) is maybe an hour or more South of Waterville. Of course it's touristy but it's also cheap. :-D

Head a couple of hours further South and you'll hit Boston. Should we leave the light on for ya?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:44 pm
Soz- I suppose yourgoing to be at the boys school near Skowhegan (since thats the only private school that I know that sponsors conferences)
Youre actually in the middle of everything, fine antiquing at Union and Jackman Station (on the road to Quebec City), About 1/2 way between Waterville and Jackman is the Appalachian Trail s most rigorous area, it goes from swamp to mountains and starts whats called "The hundred mile wilderness"
Skowhegan is kind of not so great but there are great RV campgrounds nearby on the tribs to the Kennebec.
Youre real close to the island ferry to Monhegan Island(a neat day trip)
Find Port Clyde, the ferry leaves there.
If you like art , the Farnsworth museum in Rockland is a real little gem cause it has one of the largest collections of Wyeths and Kent
if you like natural history, the Acadian seashore is just beyond BAr HArbor and its a magnificent piece of hillside. Youre also in the heart of "Rockhound" country , with tourmaline and beryl mines near bethel, Rumford, paris and Wilton.
Theres a real Shaker village ion Sabbathday LAke (and it has the only remaining cluster of living Shakers)

Then you can go to the shore areas and , unless you have a boat available, its just a view cause NOBODY in Maine swims in the ocean . In mid summer the waters about 45 degrees
In a day you can see the real downeast by heading north on rt 1 ( Take 95 N to Hamden and then get on alt rt1) thisll take you to the BAr Harbor areaq, but head N into WASHINGTON County to Millbridge, Jonesport, Rogue Bluffs and Eastport and Lubec. These are Unf *ed up towns that dont even cater to tourists as their main industry. At Jonesport you can get boat rides on fish farming vessels and see the gazillions of islands and bays .
We live in EAstport most summers and its our favorite place on the planet, right at the head of the BAy of Fundy.

If you like to paint its gonna be a real treat for scenes. I sketch daily (in between fishing for cod or tuna.

I would, and I had some major photos taken by a hermit friend of ours. However the server at NEMAINE.COM went down in Feb and hasnt come back up. You can look at web cams in BAr Harbor or Mt Desret Island NAt PArk and Acadia NAt PArk ( youll have to check google for them but almost every town has a web site)
Baxter State park is the Mt Katahdin view, its a long ride also and a little tricky. Youll have to go to Dover Foxcroft and take rt 6 to Milo and then 11 to Millinocket, but its worth it. If you remember one rule about backwoods MAine driving, becareful and look out for moose cause they are incredibly stupid and oblivious to traffic and they are prehistorically big. So consider F=Mv** , where M (moose mass) is rather big and they can move fast so v is equally a big number. =car loses.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 03:47 pm
wow wow wow thanks Jes and Farmerman!

Actually it's a college/ university, forget the name right now.
0 Replies