Color help

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:08 pm
We're thinking of painting our kitchen approximately this color:

http://www.materials-world.com/paint-colors/sherwin_williams/color_options/images/SW-ColorOpt-13.gif

It's a 1920's green that we both like, and about the color that it was originally painted (we can tell from where other layers of paint have come off a door).

The problem is, the dining room is currently approximately this color:

http://www.materials-world.com/paint-colors/sherwin_williams/color_options/images/SW-ColorOpt-13.gif

And that's too monochromatic for me, to have adjacent rooms that close in color. (I think the previous homeowners also went by the door, but went a shade darker.)

The kitchen is currently a cream/ ivory color.

We have a pretty open layout, the dining room is right in the middle and can be seen from three other rooms; kitchen, living room, and family room. Living room currently has a neutral wallpaper that will be going eventually, family room is painted a sort of light taupe. Colors throughout tend to be dark green (the big couch in the living room is a very dark piney green), red (oriental rugs, some furniture), cream (some furniture, many walls) and wood of a few shades (fairly light oak wood floors in dining room and kitchen, darker wood windowsills and built-in cabinet in the dining room, darker yet wood table and chairs in dining room, etc).

The kitchen and dining room are on the north side of the house -- the kitchen is small and tends towards dark, but there is so little actual wallspace (not taken up by windows or doors or cabinets or appliances) that some medium (not too dark) color should be fine.

The dining room is currently quite dark.

If the starting point is that we paint the kitchen that 1920's green (walls) with cream colored cabinets, what would you suggest for the dining room?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,143 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:10 pm
Aw heck, tried to select just the one color but didn't work, I guess. First one (kitchen, possibly) is Eco Green; approximate current color of dining room is Kilkenny.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:22 pm
If those were watercolors, I'd take Vegan and mix in a bit of Eco Green and a tiny bit of Organic Green to get the green on the door that we're going for.

And Eco Green with a bit of Espalier for what we have in the dining room.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:30 pm
Well, I'm not much of a judge from here, but I'd go with Gleeful or Melange if the dining room can be seen from elsewhere. It's a tad warmer but doesn't stand out too much, and it's neutral without being nonexistant.

But hey, have fun! I love love love painting. Well, not the actual painting, but the instant transformation. We painted a very small kitchen a lovely bright green in our first house (with white cabinets) and I loved it. It made me feel cheery just to be in there. It was a sort of a more yellow Picnic or Organic Green.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:38 pm
That sounds like a very similar idea though, cool! Glad you liked it so much.

To clarify, the dining room can be ANYTHING -- red, or yellow, or WHATEVER. I thought I was selecting the individual color swatch, but it turned out I selected the whole bunch of them. Can't seem to find one by itself. (Some flash stuff, can get 'em if I have to using timber's method...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:41 pm
And I'm more toward choosing Melange, since I like contrast at the same time colors make sense together. But that's me. I'm not in my sophisticated phase at the moment - but, who knows, maybe I'll get back to it. Home magazines seem to be trudging back from obvious color changes. Well, that's this year, and those particular mags.

One thing we had to do in the gallery was add more white - by a long shot, lots more white - to a secondary room meant to be the same color. Because of the diff in light hitting the walls, the exact same paint looked nearly black in the darker room.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:47 pm
Oh, ok, any color. Hmmm. All I know is that I'd head warmer. Let me see what I can find.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
Me too.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:55 pm
Very cool tool on the benjamin moore site. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper_pcv.asp?L=owner&K=intproj&N=intproj

I did one where three rooms were visible (like one was your dining room) and painted one of them green like your choice above, but could't come up with anything that knocked my socks off.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:56 pm
Oh yeah, what color is the trim?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:00 pm
If you stick with the same row on a paint chip sheet you really can't go wrong -- they'll always complement each other.

Do you ever do glazes?

I really couldn't live without them -- that or textured paints.

Here is what I would do (if I'm following correctly - that the dining room is Kilkenny (is that a South Park reference?) and can be any color but the kitchen needs to blend with several other rooms):

I'd do a glaze of Laua over the Kilkenny to tone it down a bit.

Then, because light glaze over dark is a bit "cloudy" (which can be very nice) I'd think about hitting it with a real thing glaze of Gekko.

Then I'd consider Lime Rickey for the kitchen.

I should probably mention that most of my walls have at least three coats of paint because I LOVE to paint walls.

I can't wait for Mo to get to school so I can start painting walls again......
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:02 pm
In the dining room right now, cream.

Yeah, this whole adventure started on the Sherwin-Williams site -- I painted various combinations but nothing went WHOO!! Then I tried to grab the colors, and couldn't, and tried to find a swatch online that WAS grabbable, and...

So, should have done this from the beginning, sorry, here are the colors by themselves (the result of a screen capture):

Current dining room (approximate):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/Kilkenny.jpg

(Actual color is a bit lighter, but it bounces off of itself and is in a dark room so that's about how it reads.)

Possible kitchen (approximate):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/EcoGreen.jpg

Would probably be a tiny bit lighter than that in reality.

Don't want those two right next to each other, but like the idea of 1920's green for the kitchen. So if 1920's green for the kitchen, what color for the dining room?

(Ignore the charts in my first post from now on...)

Something bright and warm sounds good.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:05 pm
The dining room is the one that's in the middle of everything. It's sort of like:

[_K_][_D_][_F_]
[___L___]

Where K is kitchen, D is dining room, F is family room, and L is living room. You can see K, F and L from D, and D and K from F, and D from L (but you can't see K or F from L.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:11 pm
I'm still confused is the dining room currently cream or green?

I like that color for the kitchen!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:15 pm
FreeDuck- That was some site. Really great! Did you read about the pro version? For ten bucks, you can take digital pictures of your house, upload them, and then play with the colors.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:18 pm
The dining room is currently green.

The trim (crown molding, or whatever it's called, by the ceiling) in the dining room is currently cream, as is the ceiling.

The windowsills, floor molding (I know it has a word, sozlet's being very interrupty and I'm blanking) and a built-in china cabinet are all medium-dark wood. (75-year-old poplar.)

The floors are newer and lighter oak.

The kitchen is currently all cream, the whole shebang. We're planning to re-paint the cupboards cream (they're looking a bit shabby) and paint the walls the lighter green of the above two swatches (Eco Green, or thereabouts).

The kitchen was probably originally that color when the house was built in the 20's, judging by the back of an original door there. (Peeling off in a few places, and there are several layers of paint over that green but seems to have only primer under it.)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:27 pm
Phoenix, yeah, that site rocks. I can't believe I couldn't find it when I was painting my old house. Oh well.

There's a color in the greens/yellows on there called Artichoke Hearts that I like. I painted one wall that color with that green (as close as I could get) behind it (like the kitchen) and a taupish color in front and I liked it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:00 pm
OK, I was playing around with the Sherwin-Williams site a bit more (followed your link, FreeDuck, but couldn't find the analogous part on the Benjamin Moore site) and found a set-up that is very similar and might help visualize things:

This is close to what I have now:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/Now.jpg

It's just a plan doorway between the dining room and kitchen, but the floor color and furniture colors are similar. I colored the dining room walls, and kitchen walls and ceiling about what they are now.

Here's one with a possible future scenario, don't think I like the color I chose for the dining room but to give you an idea (with kitchen colored about what we're thinking of painting it):

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/Later.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:29 pm
soz : i'm sure this isn't going to help you at all, but...
when we moved into our house about 40+ years ago, we painted all rooms in different colours : light brown - living room, light green - master bed,
light blue - ehbeth's room, kitchen - eggshell white.some years ago we started wallpapering, and now allrooms are wallpapered including kitchen, halls and bathrooms (kitchen and bathrooms also have partial tile-walls). we have pictures all over the place and of all different descriptions : oil-painting, water-colour, prints and photographs - some newer ones and a lot of old (second-hand ones , courtesy of ehbeth/goodwill).
my point is, that you have to choose what you like ! i have watched some home-decorating shows ... and some of the sstuff would never appeal to us.
as time goes by, you will no doubt redecorate as you get new ideas and - perhaps - your taste changes.
if you don't like a colour, you can always paint over it - won't that be fun (the true test of a good marriage is for wife and husband to wallpaper together - preferably in a room that's not quite square; it's a lot of fun !).
have fun decorating ! hbg

ps some people have commented that our house, which is not very big, looks like a museum. - we take it as a complement.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
hamburger wrote:
(the true test of a good marriage is for wife and husband to wallpaper together - preferably in a room that's not quite square; it's a lot of fun !).

Laughing

Always appreciate your advice, hamburger.

You remind me (not that this thread needs more complication!) that I'm also curious about ideas for a hallway upstairs. It'd be a quick and easy paint job, so I'm thinking of starting with that. It's currently white, the same cream/ offwhite that is all over this house and I'm ready to start obliterating (heh), and will be the site of a gallery of sorts, lots of family pictures, mostly in dark brown wood frames. It's pretty self-contained, don't have to take many colors into account.

Maybe a rich red with brown tones, with lots of cream-colored mats for the photos?
0 Replies