Microfiber upholstery: Is it any good?

sozobe

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:19 pm
This has been about a 5 on the 1-10 sick-sozlet-scale. Three barf attacks, none since 4 AM, not enough sleep, has been fitfully napping, still a bit feverish, resting now, she has some appetite though which is good.

That's great about fabric at Ikea, boomer!! I've been thinking of doing the same thing. (None of their curtains are just what I'm looking for, haven't found fabric at regular stores that speaks to me, while I've seen some very cool Ikea fabric that's a great price.)

More shopping serendipity: I swoop through Pottery Barn now and again because they have great sales even though their regularly-priced stuff is way too expensive. I like their gallery frames and have been trying to build up enough of a collection to finally frame a bunch of pics and put them on the wall. I went to PB maybe 3 weeks ago and there was nothing wow except for a pack of 3 mats for an 8 X 10 image, originally $30, for $2.99. Decided to get the mats even though I didn't have a frame they'd fit in. The other day, went to PB Kids with sozlet for the same reason. They had gallery frames there on sale for 75% off that come with lurid bright-pink mats. The previously-bought mats and the lurid pink mats are exactly the same size. Poifect!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:56 pm
Credit the Goddess.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:02 pm
What a great deal!

I go to the fancy frame shop and buy what they call "fall out" or "fall off" mats - it's the mat left over after they have cut a hole in a larger mat for someone else's picture. I find a lot of beautiful linen and suede 16x20 mats at a nearby store for a couple of bucks each. They will ususally cut a hole to your size in it for free or for a couple more bucks.

The cheapest way to buy frames is by buying framed "art" at stores like BigLots, Ross and craft stores. Throw away the "art" and keep the frames! I really have no idea why these frames are so much cheaper than open stock frames but they are.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 09:35 am
That's one thing I have to find, a good frame place. I used to do that -- had one half a block away, great place, I'd get all kinds of mats and fun stuff for cheap. Haven't really located one here yet. I know Michael's and such have framing areas. I need to go in to have a mat I already have custom-cut for a big old photo, will investigate.

I'm looking forward to finally having stuff on the walls! So silly that we haven't done that yet. (We have stuff propped up on surfaces but have only driven maybe two nails for hanging pictures.)

As a random design note, I just solved a problem in a way that made me happy. I had a big red poster frame from Ikea and wanted to put a vintage (1973) Book Week poster in it for sozlet's desk area. There was about a 2-4 inch gap between poster and edge of frame. Just had paper there -- looked shabby. Rooted around in my miscellaneous fabric/ crafts area and came up with a sari border, about 4.5 inches wide, cream-colored with a subtle metallic gold filligree/ floral design on it. Used that, the whole thing looks fabulous now. The Book Week poster ("Read!") has some red, lots of golds, lots of browns and greens and some fresh blues. Looks like a million bucks but it was all stuff I had.

Meanwhile, after an extremely iffy day yesterday including an epic talk-down just before bed (she was super-close to barfing for about 20 minutes, got her through it), sozlet seems to be much better. No fever, no nausea, just weak from not eating much at all for two days. Still very stuffy which seems to be the origin of it all (new cold --> fever --> nausea).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:17 pm
Soz--

Motherhood!

Of course many moments are better than queasy ones.
0 Replies