Microfiber upholstery: Is it any good?

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 03:03 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Would Mo fit between the stretchers and the tabletop?
If so, go for it!

<snork>

Mr. B is a lumber/wood know it all so he would be able to figure out if it is or not. I'll send him you're warning though!

I do remember hearing something about that but it seems it was the more log type stuff that was being removed.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:17 pm
Boomer--

I'm with ehBeth on eschewing pressure treated lumber--you can't even burn the stuff without releasing toxins.

If Mo keeps his weight spread, the table should be able to survive "High Road/Low Road" games.

Sozobe--

Consider getting a chunk of Plexiglass cut to fit the top of the Sozelet's Studio Table. This will not only protect the top, but she'll be able to feature art work between the wood and the plastic.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:21 pm
That's a great idea -- about the glass on top.

One of the things I really miss about my old dining room table is that it had a big piece of glass over the wood. We displayed a big map of the world underneath the glass. It was great to have geography so handy!

I know nothing about wood so even if I were to see that stuff I wouldn't have any idea if it were pressure treated or not. Mr. B's business is wood. He's the one who would have to check it out, tear it down and haul it over here so for sure he would be the one looking at it.

It seems that this structure came along with the house they bought and they just want someone to get it out of there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:23 pm
GREAT idea, Noddy! Any idea of where to get it/ what the cost would be?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:36 pm
When I had one cut for my table I just took the table pads in -- they recommened that or to paper a paper pattern of the top so that they knew how to cut it.

I think we paid about $60.00 for a 1/2 thick sheet of glass that covered probably a 40x60 inch table (maybe bigger).

We got it at some place under "glass" in the yellow pages.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:47 pm
Plexiglass is a clear plastic which is more expensive than glass and scratches easily, but it won't break.

With "real" glass, you'd definitely want the nice people to be sure the edges were beveled.

As Boomer said, check the Yellow Pages under glass. I love the yellow pages.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:50 pm
P.S.--

Get prices and then if any of the Sozelet's extended family want suggestions for Christmas....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:55 pm
Shniff. I miss the Crate and Barrel outlet. They had a rack in the back that was always full of glass table coverings -- I got one for like $10 that fit perfectly on two of our small bookcases, back to back. They had yucky tops (they were from a UW warehouse sale, salvaged from dorms) so I put down the end of a sari under the glass, looks very nice.

Anyway, $60 is more than I was hoping for (and plexiglass is MORE expensive...) but this is a little smaller so maybe cheaper. I think ~ 42" X 24", or thereabouts.

At any rate, definitely looking into it, thanks!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:57 pm
Oh, good point, Noddy!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:03 pm
I find autoglass shops very helpful with all sorts of things in this area - glass with rounded/bevelled edges - mirror glass to put in old/salvaged/saved from the garbage picture frames - some even have plexiglass. They're usually pretty happy to be doing something other than windshields - glad to have the opportunity to be creative - and the prices are good.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:06 pm
Thanks for the tip!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:29 pm
I love our local glass place.... great wooden floors. Yes, an antique autoglass etc. place, kind of barnlike.

You could have, at some expense of course, the glass be tempered.

I am sadly leaving behind four, count'em four, pieces of old pattern thickish tempered glass that I order for several doors that had "windows" when I moved here. Yeah, 1" too short. I know better. Maybe it was them and not me, as they are all the same. Never did look up the original order, though that is unlike me too. In any case, there they are, stacked in the breakfast nook. Too late now by several years to go whine about it. I can't bring them with me when I move, both for the heavy weight and because they work with this house. Sort of a present to the new owner.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:00 am
How's the sofa working out? I'm looking at a microsuede one now. (Is that the same as microfiber?)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:21 pm
It is definately looking more lived in. That's fine - I like lived in.

This sofa is nubuck, not microfiber. Nubuck is the leather like suede shoes are made from; very thick and plush.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:21 pm
It is definately looking more lived in. That's fine - I like lived in.

This sofa is nubuck, not microfiber. Nubuck is the leather like suede shoes are made from; very thick and plush.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:28 pm
Ah, right. I found the right thread but didn't refresh my memory adequately about the winning sofa, sorry.

Found some good stuff from General Tsao (what a gem) on the first page.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:31 pm
So this year I actually actually used my Christmas/ birthday money to buy something. The leather sofa that I'd identified as being the best for the family room went on sale -- 50% off -- and I dragged E.G. over to see it and he loved it and we got it.

It's gorgeous and transforms the room and I'm so glad we got it. It's a dark chocolate leather, nice proportions, very comfy.

I'm writing now to say that leather has demonstrated its first big benefit -- sozlet barfed all over and and it wiped right off. Yay.

(Less yay on the barfing, she turned perky right after so hoping it's one of the brief ones.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 06:47 am
Soz--

Glad the new sofa survived. Is the old daughter on the mend or did she make a night of her purging?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 10:47 am
I wish sozlet had found a different way to test the sofa! I hope she's feeling better now.

Don't you just love it when exactly what you want goes on sale!?

Sometimes to me just finding what I want seems impossible. Recently I was going to make some curtains because I couldn't find what I wanted at an affordable price. I went out looking at fabric to get an idea of the price range, then came home to look on the internet for "how to". During that search I found exactly what I wanted at Ikea for about a third of what it would have cost me to make them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 11:21 am
If this was a polytheistic time, I'm sure there would be a Goddess of Shopping Serendipity.
0 Replies