What are those black rubber hoses for any way?

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:29 am
Any one ever notice that sometimes there are these things - looks like black rubber hoses - laying across a road or highway exit? You drive over them and you feel a little bump. Lately I have seen lots of them along many exits off the highway south of Boston. What are they there for?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,592 • Replies: 20

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:44 am
I believe they are to count the number of cars passing over them ... for traffic studies. At least that's what I've always thought.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:51 am
That is what my educated guess is too - seems logical. It was either that or they put them down to annoy me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:52 am
Do you think if I kept backing up and driving over and over them I would screw the whole stats up?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:53 am
The devices are pneumatic. A car drives over the hose and air pressure cause the counter to record a vehicle. I had a friend who had an MG (this was in the 60's) who used to go around and lift the back end over the hose thinking it would record one half a car. I'm not certain that works.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 01:55 pm
I think it would be a waste of time (and dangerous) as trucks passing over them would record one and a half vehicles.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
i thought they could monitor speed.....

thats why i wear tinfoil..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:07 pm
I was thinking that once too Shewolfnm, but then I realized I would have had several speeding tickets as a result.

Then I thought - maybe they were just left there because of construction or something (there is always some sort of construction going on. But this is the first time I noticed several in once area - all on exit ramps - so I suspected that there was more to it than just random hoses left around.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:34 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
i thought they could monitor speed.....

thats why i wear tinfoil..

Laughing That's what we were always told growing up.

Then, a friend of mine brought up how it would be impossible to measure the speed of a car by measuring the time between the front tires and the back tires of a car going 65 plus mph.

When I was a new driver though, I would always slow down if I saw one. Like as if there were a cop sitting there measuring it.

Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 09:20 am
i was thinking the same thing

not that they can identify the specific car that was going by at that speed...
but.. it was a way to find the places in town that had the MOST speeders and with in the next 24 hours, i thought, there would be a cop where the black hose was..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:40 am
And thanks to my question, we are all a little bit smarter today.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 10:48 am
so

lets all go out and find some black hoses~
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:58 am
Indeed older speed measuring devices used the black hoses but with the advent of radar they were phased out. They are used now for counting vehicles.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 09:24 am
I am bringing this back as in my town there has shown up a plethora of these black hoses. I am now driving back and forth and over and over on these hoses just to mess up the counting.

So why do you think all of a sudden there are several located throughout my town? What are they planning? Hopefully it is good spending for my tax money. Maybe I will call town hall to find out what is happening.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 12:36 pm
@Linkat,
They often have to do with determining where traffic lights will be put in.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 12:48 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

They often have to do with determining where traffic lights will be put in.

This^ or trying to determine speed limit changes in a given area.
Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 12:55 pm
@ehBeth,
It would make sense, but they are in random areas - not at street crossings where you would expect potential lights - two are nearby the schools (high school and middle school) the other is on a high traffic area but just random in the middle of the route - not at any sort of intersection - not too far though from a busy intersection that already has lights.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 01:02 pm
@Linkat,
The school examples just helps my speed checking theory.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 01:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
true - we had some a while ago that resulted in our block being turned into a one-way (just our block, not our street)

also had some that resulted in a flashing light going in at the top of the street - two blocks over they got a new set of lights
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2015 01:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Its funny they do not have any school zone signs --- I always found that odd. And the middle school is on a very busy highly traffic road - granted they have a long road into the school itself, but the road has a fairly high speed limit.
0 Replies