Worlds Largest City by land mass

Francis

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 03:13 am
Andy - why couldn't we discuss meaningless statistics?

Isn't it full of meaningless subjects on A2K? :wink:
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 05:38 am
Francis wrote:
Andy - why couldn't we discuss meaningless statistics?

Isn't it full of meaningless subjects on A2K? :wink:

You're quite right, Francis. It was late at night when I typed that; I was tired; the moon is full...
0 Replies

gareth79uk

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:50 am
Worlds largest city by land mass
Im nearly 100% sure its Tokyo in Japan with Los Angeles coming in second, this is including main city and suburbs out to city limits.
0 Replies

Bodo

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 02:33 pm
Out of curiosity, how is this measured? Merely by the formal borders drawn for a city, or by the size of the surrounding metropolitan area? Arguably, cities like New York, Houston, Sao Paolo, Buenos Aires, etc would all be in competition if we were talking about the size of the surrounding metropolitan areas.
0 Replies

cme2know

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:47 pm
largest city by area
Sorry everyone, belive it or not it is LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA.
0 Replies

Zenden2003

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:57 pm
LA? Bah! Toronto, Canada is the unknown quantity here. It was in fact, in 1996, over 7060 square kilometers or 2726 square miles in size and in the past 10 years has grown even larger - more recent land area stats are not yet available. Population is under 5 million so density isn't a factor, yet.
0 Replies

Idris 1981

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:49 am
Jacksonville, Fl is larger than London
Jacksonville has a land area of 758 sq mi so its larger than London by land, but only has a population of 777,704.
0 Replies

rsalbre

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:54 pm
I got a new one for everyone. Considering the time we live in, how about the worlds most "polluted" city.

I heard it was Mexico City, but I found this(granted it was recorded in 97'): http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=49246
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:00 pm
rsalbre wrote:
I got a new one for everyone. Considering the time we live in, how about the worlds most "polluted" city.

I heard it was Mexico City, but I found this(granted it was recorded in 97'): http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/content_pages/record.asp?recordid=49246

Dzerzhinsk, Russia, eh? How apt for a city named after a mass murderer.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:12 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
You could, theoratically, hhave the world's largest city with a populations in the double digits. Would a 5,000 sq. km area with a population of 23 be counted as a city?

No.

However, a probable top contender for the statistic of largest-city-with-comparatively-smallest-population would be Ulan Bator, the capital of Mongolia. Many inhabitants still live in the traditional tents, yurts - an extensive use of space. That means that, although a prolific view of the city looks like this (ie, rather Soviet), much of the city is arranged like this (picture of the aerial view of a so-called yurt-quarter, where former nomads settled with their tents, building make-shift sheds and the like around it).

All in all, the territory of Ulan Bator capital is 1,815 sq. miles (or 4,700km²), while the population is only 812,500 (link). That means an average of only 173 inhabitants per square kilometre. Exclamation

And on that magnificently trivial note, I'm going to bed.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:03 pm
I never imagined a thread about largest city would go so far, I figured it'd be over in 2 posts. but I've been wrong more than once...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:26 pm
FactMonster:
Quote:
The vast Los Angeles metropolitan area covers five counties (Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura) and encompasses 34,000 sq mi (88,000 sq km) with over 14.5 million people.
0 Replies

izzlesmith

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 01:22 am
Largest "city"
Actually the largest "city" in the world is Sitka Alaska. Sitka is 2874 square miles. But it only has a population of 10,000 people so its not really a city.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:29 pm
second largest city in the world is Kiruna in Sweden

Small facts about Kiruna
Area: 19 447 km2 = 1,2 inhabitants/km2
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 12:54 pm
Re: Largest "city"
izzlesmith wrote:
Actually the largest "city" in the world is Sitka Alaska. Sitka is 2874 square miles. But it only has a population of 10,000 people so its not really a city.

Thats less than 10% of the 34,000-plus-square-mile area encompassed by Metro LA, partner.
mrmyronn

Reply Mon 15 May, 2006 07:01 pm
Largest Land Mass City
Sorry to inform you all but I think Calgary Canada still IS the largest city in the World. And I do not live there but I do live in Canada.

Laughing
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 06:52 am
Kiruna became a Swedish city in 1948, and was at one time listed as the largest city in the world by area, but after the Swedish municipality reform in the 1970s, the term "city" has been discontinued. Kiruna is today the second largest municipality in the world by area, roughly 20 000 km2 after Mount Isa, Queensland, Australia, 42 904 km2.

The largest city is Mount Isa, Queensland and Kiruna the second largest in the world by area - which was the question
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:24 am
Then the largest municipality is Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico
53,155 square kms.
260,000 inhabitants
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 26 May, 2006 07:47 am
saab wrote:
Kiruna became a Swedish city in 1948, and was at one time listed as the largest city in the world by area, but after the Swedish municipality reform in the 1970s, the term "city" has been discontinued. Kiruna is today the second largest municipality in the world by area, roughly 20 000 km2 after Mount Isa, Queensland, Australia, 42 904 km2.

The largest city is Mount Isa, Queensland and Kiruna the second largest in the world by area - which was the question

43,000± km² works out to less than 50% of Greater L.A.'s 34,000± square miles. Within Contiguous Greater LA are more than 2 dozen communities having populations greater than 100,000. Were Greater L.A. to be one of the US states, its 18 Million+ inhabitants would rank 5th in population, while in terms of land area it would be just slightly smaller than Virginia (itself larger in area than Hungary), and larger than a dozen other states.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Map_of_California_hightlighting_the_LA_Metro_Area.PNG
Greater Los Angeles
0 Replies

captainmike

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:59 pm
Sorry folks, but your all wrong...

Honolulu is the largest city in the world. According to the state constitution any island (or islet) not named as belonging to a county belongs to Honolulu. This makes all islands within the Hawaiian Archipelago that stretch to Midway Island (1,500 miles northwest of Hawaii) part of the City of Honolulu. Honolulu is about 1,500 miles long or in other words it would streach halfway across the continental US making it by far the largest city in the world.
0 Replies