Camm Murder Case

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:43 am
The David Camm triple murder case is the legal equivalent of the thing about the irrestable force and the immovable object; King Soloman would have a seriously hard time with it.

The guy had 11 alibi witnesses putting him at a church basketball game at the time his wife and two kids were murdered four years ago; nonetheless the prosecutors were able to show blood spatter on his T-shirt which one expert claimed was a definitive signature left only by blood flying from a gunshot at close range and the guy was convicted and sentenced to 195 years in prison. The Indiana appeals court recently tossed that verdict , the DA made known his intentions to try Camm again, and Camm was released on $20,000 bond which anybody would interpret as the judge telling the prosecutors he didn't think they had a case.

The story turns up when you do google searches on "david camm" and "murder" and you might want to refine the search to include only web pages which have been updated within three months.

This one whets curiosity. I'd appreciate hearing from anybody who knows any more about the case than what you see the news.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,920 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 06:52 am
This seems to be the latest:

Quote:
Families Have Mixed Emotions About Camm's Release

By James Zambroski

(NEW ALBANY, Ind., January 28th, 2005) -- David Camm traded three hots and a cot Thursday for the luxury of his uncle's home, after family members posted a $20,000 bond and gained his release from the Floyd County jail. WAVE 3 Investigator James Zambroski reports.

Camm was driven to the Community Corrections Center around 4 p.m., where he was fitted with an electronic monitoring device around his ankle. The judge granting the bond restricted his movements to Floyd, Clark and Warrick counties. The ankle bracelet will allow police to know his whereabouts 24 hours a day.

Camm faces a second trial in Warrick County, Indiana on August 8 for the murders of his wife, Kim and their two children, Bradley and Jill. Camm says he discovered them shot to death in the family's Georgetown home on September 28th, 2000.

He was arrested three days later, convicted of the murders in 2002, and sentenced to almost 200 years in prison. But an Indiana appellate court threw out those convictions, ruling testimony about Camm's extramarital affairs was improper.

The Camm family gathered Thursday night at the home of Sam Lockhart, Camm's uncle, who has championed his nephew's cause in more than four years of legal proceedings. The court order granting him bail requires that Camm live with Lockhart.

Donnie Camm, David Camm's brother, was ecstatic over his brother's release. "He just said, 'I love you; thanks for all you've done. We're getting there,'" Donnie Camm told WAVE 3 Investigator James Zambroski. "We didn't say a lot of words; we hugged for about five minutes and I told him I loved him."

Murder suspects are not guaranteed bail in Indiana; experts say it's relatively rare. Prosecutors say the relatively low amount of Camm's bail could impact the jury in his upcoming trial.

"Any reasonable jury would say to themselves, 'well, if the criminal justice system doesn't think this guy's a danger enough to keep him in jail, then why should we think he's a danger enough to convict him?" said Steve Stewart, Floyd County assistant prosecutor.

Nick Stein represents Frank and Janice Renn, Kim Camm's parents. He said they were stunned by the order granting bail. "I think they're shocked; they didn't think it would go this way. As Janice said, 'my mind is mush.'"

But the Renns and their extended family remain convinced that police have the right man.

"They still believe in the bottom of their hearts that David Camm committed these crimes," Stein said. "It hasn't shaken their resolve one bit."

Camm will be allowed to work for his family's business but not allowed to travel. Even with the restrictions, the family believes the criminal justice system is starting to turn in their favor.

"It's been a long time coming," said Donnie Camm.
Source
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2005 07:03 am
Without knowing any more than I've seen on this one I have to figure that an honest juror would figure that 11 alibi witnesses were every bit of a "reasonable doubt" and tell the DA to shove it.

Any able2knowers living out that way who know any more on the subject??
0 Replies

albanyman

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:27 pm
He Did It
Born and raised in New Albany. Left after college, returned in 2000 just before the murder. Actually graduated with Camm. Remember his wife who was one year behind us and an attractive cheerleader.

Couldn't believe it when it happened. Then he made an appearance a couple of days later in front of the cameras. Jaw dropped to the floor when he was not uncontrollable but instead pretending to cry without shedding a tear. Evidence really began to stack up against him. His friends and former colleagues from the State Trooper were the ones that figured out something was wrong and suspected him. They questioned him at length many times on separate occasions. Apparently he just kept digging himself a deaper and deaper hole until they arrested him.

Today, 3-9-05, they rearrested him. They finally found an accomplice who squeeled. They've got him good now. No appeal this time. He's done.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 06:37 pm
Wow!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:08 pm
Re: He Did It
albanyman wrote:

Today, 3-9-05, they rearrested him. They finally found an accomplice who squeeled. They've got him good now. No appeal this time. He's done.

Got a url for that?

I mean, I still see this as a case for King Solomon. Even WITH a squeeling accomplice who might or might not be trying to save his own ass from some other sort of rap, somebody would have to convince me that eleven alibi witnesses was something other than a reasonable doubt.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 12:11 am
Re: He Did It
gungasnake wrote:
Got a url for that?

One, two, three .... an online search will show you dozens more.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:35 am
The judge who will preside over the second trial for Camm, assuming it takes place, has all but called the presecutor an idiot. I'd bet heavily that Camm goes free if they actually do try him again.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:45 am
gungasnake wrote:
The judge who will preside over the second trial for Camm, assuming it takes place, has all but called the presecutor an idiot.

Doesn't that lead to a challenge due to bias? (Would be certainly here so.)
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:07 am
Re: Camm Murder Case
What you've got here is a case in which a man was convicted of murder despite eleven alibi witnesses who placed him at a church basketball game at the time the murders took place, the state appeals court overturned the conviction due to what amounted to prosecutorial misconduct, and the presumptive judge for the new trial allowing the defendant his freedom on a $20,000 bond in a capital case and THAT amounts to a hint to the prosecution that they have no case in the judge's view and that they might want to consider the possibility that others are starting to view them as idiots.

There's nothing illegal or immoral in that.

That's aside from the fact that another man has now been arrested for the murders of course...
0 Replies