Sixty Years Ago at Dawn

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 09:59 am
Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-1945
Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-1945
Max Hastings

Description: British historian Max Hastings discusses his book, "Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-1945." In it, he explains how the allied armies overtook Berlin in the final months of World War II. The author researched previously unreleased Russian archival documents as well as transcripts from interviews with Russian veterans. "Armageddon" also deals with how civilians were treated during this offensive, including their murders, numbered in the thousands, during the final eight months of World War II.

Author Bio: Max Hastings has written eighteen books including "The Korean War" and "Bomber Command." He has worked as a foreign correspondent and editor of Britain's Evening Standard and Daily Telegraph.

Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf 1745 Broadway New York, NY 10019
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:05 am
I don't know that American and British troops slaughtered German civilians but it's known that Russian troops exacted a terrible revenge for the slaughter of Russian civilians.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:06 am
Well I fail to see the correlation in this case Panzade. You'll have to explain it. Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 10:07 am
You cutie...I admit I don't see it either. Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana.

"Those who mis-remember the past are bound to get it wrong." -- Some guy from Chicago.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:55 am
Panzade Smile
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:58 am
joefromchicago wrote:
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana.

"Those who mis-remember the past are bound to get it wrong." -- Some guy from Chicago.

GWB was telling us not long ago that WWII started when the Japanese attacked Hawaii.
Looks like the guy from Chicago was right on the money.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:08 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

I think the efforts of some to appropriate certain episodes of American history for their own partisan political ends is shameful.

I agree. And not just American history, either. At the beginning of this sorry Iraq campaign Blair's speechwriters and also Bush's compared this juncture with conditions facing Winston Churchill in 1939/40, and sought to draw flattering comparisons.

This would be shameful too, were it not so risible.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 12:12 pm
panzade wrote:
You cutie...I admit I don't see it either. Very Happy

Well you son-of-a-agricultural implement. Laughing
0 Replies