Am I stupid because of my PSAT score?

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:45 pm
Im a sophomore and I took the PSAT and I got the results back today. I got a combined score of 148. To me this seemd low and I should of got a higher score because I score between 120-150 on IQ tests. Does this mean i am stupid?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 81,011 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 09:58 pm
Your posting shows some confusion in basic English grammar.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:13 am
Lightbulb, These standardized tests have been challenged a number of times because of cultural bias. No one is stupid, but some lack test-taking skills. Many have said that the PSAT is a good predictor of success in college, and I'm not surprised, because some colleges are just extensions of high school.

That score does seem rather low, and I think you should question it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:43 am
Quote:
I score between 120-150 on IQ tests.

People do not usually score on such a wide range in IQ tests. What tests are you taking? The average IQ is 100. Scores between 120-150 are quite a bit above average.

I would suggest that you get a good book on preparing for the SATs.

If you study it, you will get a good idea of where you need to improve. In that way, you can concentrate in those areas where you are weak.

BTW, how are your grades in math and English? A low score on a PSAT does not mean that you are stupid. All it means is that you are not as well prepared in the areas that the PSAT tests, than other students in your grade.

Quote:
Information on the Score Report
The PSAT/NMSQT score reports provide three different scores on the 20-to-80 scale. One each for critical reading skills, math skills, and writing skills. The average critical reading, math, and writing skills score for juniors is about 49.

Also on your score report is the Selection Index, which is the sum of the three scores (CR + M + W). The Selection Index ranges from 60 to 240. The average Selection Index of juniors is about 147.

Score reports include percentiles, which allow you to compare your scores with those of other juniors who will be applying to college. For example, a student with a percentile of 53 has earned a score better than 53 out of every 100 college-bound juniors who took the test. Go to Score Report Plus for more information about your score report.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/psat/scores.html#info

You are only a sophomore. According to the College Board, the average selection score of juniors is 147. Check out your percentiles. It will tell you how you scored in comparison with others in your grade.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:23 pm
lightbulb, Welcome to A2K. Since the good people of A2K have pretty much answered your question, I'll just sit back and extend my welcome. Wink No, you are not stupid. Don't ever denegrate yourself; always think positive. No one single event in life is that important.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:26 pm
I believe that IQ, is nothing more than a simple test, which means nothing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:37 pm
Well, it was first devised by Alfred Binet who simply wanted to separate the educable from the non educable, then Stanford took it over. If one tends to be creative, then it may be possible to have a low score.

PoeticMisterE, Do you write poetry, or is that just a handle?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:44 pm
This might clarify things a bit:

http://www.audiblox2000.com/dyslexia_dyslexic/dyslexia014.htm

Trying to remember the name of the fellow who tried to measure creativity. I'll check it out.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:58 pm
PME sounds so much like some kind of women ailment. LOL
0 Replies

RBHSwr17

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:19 pm
Wait guys... Im a junior I've been looking for my PSAT score for a while. Where can you go to look it up?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:21 pm
standardized tests are tough for some people because some people just don't test well. Doesn't mean your dumb.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:22 pm
RBHSwr, Welcome to A2K from a guy that barely got into college, but still finished in the top 25 percent of my class.
0 Replies

RBHSwr17

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:28 pm
where did you go to college, Impostor
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:30 pm
CSU Hayward in California.
0 Replies

RBHSwr17

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:41 pm
Cool... and i know i should know this, but how is the PSAT graded, how much is it out of and all?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:49 pm
The PSAT is just that, a practice test. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Focus on your SAT.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
RBHSwr17--

Ask someone in your school guidance office for your scores.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
yes. hopelesly. dropout now and go apply at Wal Mart.
0 Replies

RBHSwr17

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 04:07 pm
Got it. For another thing, does PSAT even matter unless youre one of the very few who make it to be National Merit Semifinalists?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 04:12 pm
The PSAT's are mostly practice, but if you score poorly on the SAT's (which many colleges require) a good PSAT score may show that your poor scores are not typical.
0 Replies