Am I stupid because of my PSAT score?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 04:13 pm
RBHS, PSAT is only a practice for the SAT, so don't lose any sleep over it. The only reason you want a good SAT score is to apply for the "better" schools, but not everybody that goes to Harvard or Stanford are successful in their career field. The one leg up of graduating from Harvard or Stanford is the fact that more doors will be open for you in the employment market. Everything else depends on your performance on the job.
0 Replies

RBHSwr17

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:00 pm
Well, I plan on going to a Midwest school anyways so unfortunately the SAT isn't going to do much for me. The only reason im taking it is to know where I stand... and I'm also trying to bid for a chance at making Columbia University. If I do well enough on the SAT do you think I can make it, with a 3.8 in a school system with nonweighted grades?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:07 pm
[My "English as foreign language test's (TOEFL)" result was exactly 600 (excellent), the one in written English 6.0 (which means, I left more 98% of all participants behind me). Mrs. Walter calls me now and then 'stupid' - alone this evening three times!]
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:27 pm
I'm confused about your concerns here. You got a combined score of 148? The max is only 160.

To convert your PSAT to the SAT scoring system you add tack a "0" onto the end of each score which means the comparison wold the equeal to a 1480 on the SATs.

The National average SAT score for 2002-2003 was 1026 so your would be well ahead of the average.

???????
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:55 pm
That's 200 points higher than I scored and I'm a friggin genius, so go figure. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:58 pm
Hey, friggin genius, are you a multi-millionaire yet? LOL
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:03 pm
I'm working on it c.i., working on it... Wink
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:05 pm
I never realized though that you simply added a zero to your PSAT score. I think I had 145 if I remember correctly. So I musta screwed up on the real deal. Sad Very Happy
0 Replies

MinervaMoon

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:33 pm
PSATs are very important! If you score well on them, and become a National Merit Finalists, colleges will simply drool all over you. This is not to say that the SAT is inconsequential, but the PSAT is not "practice" -- that's what SAT prep workbooks are for.

Furthermore, a combined 147 equals about 1470 out of 1600 when judged on the SAT scale, and I don't want anyone saying that a score in the high 1400s is poor. Don't feel stupid; You did quite well. Better than me!

Then again, PSATs for sophomores DO NOT count, so they're basically a good judge for how you're going to do the next year. And if you want to change, don't be discouraged. I personally boosted my score damn near 200 points from the PSAT to the SAT (1320 to 1500), simply with a week or two of practice in an SAT Math workbook.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 06:44 pm
Minerava, For 99 percent of students who take the PSAT, it's practice. Trust me on this one. LOL
0 Replies

wolftj

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:36 pm
PSAT scores, corrections...
I hate to say all of you are wrong but...

"You are correct when you note that a "perfect" PSAT score is 2400, not 1600 (that's if you add a zero to your total to compare it to the SAT scoring system). The PSAT scoring system, as explained by the College Board, is below:

The PSAT/NMSQT score reports provide three different scores on the 20-to-80 scale. One each for verbal skills, math skills, and writing skills. The average verbal, math, and writing skills score for juniors is about 49.

Also on your score report is the Selection Index, which is the sum of the three scores (V + M + W). The Selection Index ranges from 60 to 240. The average Selection Index of juniors is about 147.

Those who have told you that your score was actually a 1490 out of 1600 are probably confused because the old PSAT was composed of only two scores--not three--since the writing component was recently added. "

Quote from College Confidential, January 7, 2005
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2005 09:49 pm
That makes me feel much better. I am a friggin genius after all, just an uniformed friggin genius. Very Happy
0 Replies

bando247

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:00 pm
i'm a freshman in high school, and i scored a 188. 65 in both math and reading, and 58 in writing(grammar kills me!). How is this score compared to anyone elses?

also- this is my first post!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:06 pm
bando, First of all, Welcome to A2K. Others familiar with your score will need to answer your question, but looking at it as an old man, I think it's a very good score.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2005 11:37 pm
Yep, good score kid.
0 Replies

kloverfc

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:19 pm
How can you get that score?
On the PSAT the maximum score in two subjects is 160 so how is it you managed 188. 65?
0 Replies

kloverfc

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2005 11:27 pm
I finally got my scores
and they were pretty good. I now have the chance to be a national merit scholar, my over all score is a 1840; 62 on reading, 58 in math, 64 in writing I just hope I meet all the other requirements to be a NMS, the PSAT scores are only the first step, so wish me luck! That's all really bye
0 Replies

MinervaMoon

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2005 01:57 am
All right, I was referencing my PSAT scores from last year. I just got this year's back.

Out of 160, I got 149 (it's not bad, but I did better on the real SAT: 1500).

Counting the writing part, out of 240, I got 229, which was 99th percentile, and higher than everyone else I have seen from my class (i.e. grade) except one who got 230.

I, too, would hate to correct, but if you added all three together, your score is 149/240, not 149/1600.

And speaking as the pending valedictorian from what Newsweek calls the 24th best high school in the country (probably because we graduate about a hundred IB students a year), I say: People might take the PSAT as practice, but we take it seriously, and as you can get so many full, practice SATs from prep books, simply using the PSAT as preparation is a dumb thing to do.

Trust me on this.

[http://www.stpetehigh.com/]
0 Replies

mlvdan

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:54 am
my son who is a sophmore took the SATs as a freshman just as practice to get over test anxiety and scored 950. He just got his PSAT scores back and got a 43 in CR, 60 in Math and 50 in W for a total of 153...

Any other scores to compare ... are these good ?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:45 am
PSAT was a bit more than practice when i took it, back before the writing test was added and the maximum possible score was 160. i say this because it correlates closely to SAT scores--at least in my case it did. for instance, if it qualifies you for a merit scholarship, you still need to achieve a roughly equal score on the SAT to stay in contention. on the other hand, if you're trying to get into a school where you need a certain SAT, multiplying the PSAT by 10 will give you a good idea how much test prep if any you need to be accepted.
0 Replies