boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:05 pm
Oh I love all these pumpkin recipes. I'm going to be cutting our pumpkins up for jack-o-lanterns sometime next week and I was wondering what I would do with the pumpkin insides.

We grew white pumpkins -- will they work too?

Here's the onion pie I made last night. It was pretty tasty:

Pastry for a single pie crust
<snicker>

Prebake pie shell and let cool

4 Walla Walla (or other sweet onions) sliced - about six cups total
1 T olive oil
3 T butter

Saute the sliced onions in the olive oil and butter.

Mix:
2 eggs
1 cup half and half
2 T flour
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg
2 oz shredded gruyere cheese (divided - mix in half now and sprinkle remaining half on top before baking)

Add the onions
Pour into pie shell <snicker>
Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes.

I think this would have been really good with some spinach or some mushrooms mixed in.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:07 pm
Wow. How'd that happen?

I thought I was posting this on my kitchen rant thing.

Not that I'm not happy to be here!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 02:10 pm
Heh, it was the link for the Pierre Bertineau minipumpkin recipe...

Glad your pie came out well. I've only used wallawallas once, and found they didn't need to be saute'd as long as, oh, spanish - yellow - onions.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 09:29 pm
The current issue of La Cucina Italiana has some good-looking pumpkin recipes.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:13 pm
Hello Ossobuco. I would of never saw this thread if you hadn't of posted it again.
I've pureed pumpkins, simmered on the stovetop, then served gazpacho style.
Also, sliced thin, sauteed in butter, sprinkled with powdered sugar.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:27 pm
@alex240101,
Hi, Alex!

Time for me to add I've had some great parsnips (see page 2, or was it 3)... I am guessing they were quick sauteed as parsnip sticks with whatever spice added, at Vivace Ristorante here in Abq. What have I been missing all these years, eh?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:34 pm
@ossobuco,
I should add I'm slowing adding tags to all the food and drink threads, er, 38 pages x 50.. (I'm starting again on page 13).
which of course others could do as well, not that my tags are some kind of winners.

I'm cutting out "food and drink" on my own new thread tags in order to get more specific. Started out tagging them as food, and I'll probably be stopping that too and just going to, say, vegetables.... or whatever. Add 'recipes' to the tags if there seem to be any, have made cooking technique, well... lots of stuff into categories.

Theory being, and it seems to occur in practice, that if you are looking for threads about pumpkins, you put the word 'pumpkins' in the Search Tags box to the left of the main a2k page you open to. (Have to double check if I tagged this one, how soon I forget.) This time I remembered the magazine the recipe I liked was in, and punched it into the Google window at the top of the page, and sure enough, this thread came up.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Alex should be happy to find there are some "pickles" threads...

and, going berserk, I labeled most of those threads about eastern and western breakfasts.. in a kind of shorthand, as " western breakfast" - got around thirty of them. Seemed like more at the time, I must say.
jespah

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:46 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks for reviving this topic. I want to get into eating more seasonal foods and pumpkins would be, well, #1 out there. Something savory and low cal, preferably without too much salt.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:19 pm
@jespah,
OK, folks, here's more than we ever thought of knowing about pumpkins..

It's a NYTimes list of past articles, with a Navigation List for Pumpkin recipes.

Egads..

All things pumpkin

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:24 pm
@ossobuco,
<continuing saying egads..>

Here's one I want to try right away -

Pumpkin Panna Cotta by Mark Bittman

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9500E4DE173AF931A15752C1A9669C8B63
littlek

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:04 pm
@ossobuco,
I pretty much look for a pumpkin kibbeh recipe every year - this year I am finding them!

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=206015

Quote:
Pumpkin Kibbeh
Ingredients :

2 cup Mashed pumpkin or squash
1 cup Fine bulgar (soak in boiling water, drain before adding 2 t salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Coriander
1 tsp Allspice
3/4 tsp Cumin
1/4 tsp Cayenne
1 med Onion chopped
4 x Cloves garlic
1/2 cup Flour
Olive oil

* Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the pumpkin, buglar, salt, pepper, coriander, allspice, cumin, cayenne, onion, garlic, and flour in a food processer until thoroughly blended. (Alternatively, in a large bowl mix all these ingredients by hand.) Taste for seasoning and add more salt or spices as required. If the mixture seems to moist, add a little bit more flour and mix it in.
* Grease an 8-inch square pan with olive oil. Pour the mixture into it, smooth the surface and pour a tablespoon of olive oil over the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the surface looks dry. (The inside will be moist.) Alternatively you can form the mixture into 2-inch patties and fry them in olive oil.
* This makes a great main dish for those of us who not eat meat. I also do not add olive oil to mine, so that it stays into the guidelines of eating fat free.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 05:21 pm
I make a pumpkin coconut soup. I don't really have a recipe. I just throw in a can of pumpkin (or a cooked, smashed pie pumpkin from the garden), a can of Thai coconut milk and all the spices plus onions littlek lists in the above recipe. A little water can be added if it's too thick. Serve with a dollop of yogurt.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 09:43 am
@Green Witch,
Pumpkin in Japan:
https://i.imgur.com/oHuiltS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/28xPzqA.jpg
48 Hours in Gifu
0 Replies