littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:16 pm
Ossobucco teased us with a little pumpkin recipe elsewhere on A2K and then didn't continue on with a recipe. I am trying to lure her, and anyone else, to add some pumkin recipes here.

I love pumpkins and just bought 3 mini sugar Ps which I am hoping I can use in a recipe that osso (I'll beg!) will provide (I even bought gruyere!).

So, post recipes here for new ways to use pumpkins. I'm not talking about pumpkin pie, but maybe pumkin bread..... definitely pumpkin butter, or pumkin soup, or pumkin risotto (one of my favorites).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 9,200 • Replies: 73
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:18 pm
ooooh, after a page of boring pumpkin recipes I found this site: http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=pumpkin
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:26 pm
Sorry, littlek, I felt I was hijacking the thread as it was, and just gave a reference. The picture (only, with a description and not the recipe, that I could find) is in this month's Traditional Home. The recipe is on the website, along with more recipes for thanksgiving by french cooks... all of which sounded good. I'll go cut and paste the recipe... back in a minute.

Ok, here it is -
for the rest of the recipes, go to http://www.traditionalhome.com and click on November Recipes..

Chef Philippe Bertineau's Baked Baby Pumpkins

6 baby pumpkins or 3 small halved
     and seeded acorn squash
Salt and ground black pepper
1 cup white bread cubes
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Swiss
     or Gruyere cheese
3/4 cup milk
Olive oil (optional)
Parmesan Cheese Sauce (see recipe)

Preheat oven to 450. Wash pumpkins, if using, and cut top off each about 1 inch from stem keeping stem attached; set tops aside. Scoop out seeds with small, sharp-edged spoon. Season inside of pumpkins (or acorn squash halves) with salt and ground black pepper.
    Divide bread cubes and cheese among pumpkins or squash halves. Add 2 tablespoons milk to each. Replace tops on pumpkins. Wrap in foil. For squash halves, cover tops with lightly greased foil, leaving space so filling does not stick to foil. Place pumpkin shells or squash halves on baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour.
    Unwrap squash halves or remove pumpkin tops. Shred pulp of each squash half or pumpkin with fork, mixing pulp with other filling ingredients. Replace pumpkin tops. If desired, brush outsides of pumpkins or squash halves with olive oil. Serve warm with Parmesan Cream Sauce. Makes 6 servings.
    Parmesan Cream Sauce: In small saucepan bring 3/4 cup whipping cream and 2 tablespoons milk to boil. Whisk in 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese until melted and smooth. Season to taste with salt and ground white pepper. Serve immediately or cover and chill. To serve, heat to boiling, whisking until smooth.
    Makes about 1 cup.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:29 pm
yippee!
(I couldn't even remember which thread you'd posted on).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:30 pm
How about pumpkin seeds alla vodka? Poke a hole in the pumpkin, shove a bottle of vodka in the hole, and then once you're done carving the pumpkin, put the seeds in the oven and bake 'em like you normally would.

Getting drunk on pumpkin seeds is really what halloween is all about, isn't it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:35 pm
Kicky have you actually tried this?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:36 pm
Osso, if you're too busy, I've gone and found the website already. I could post the recipe to the thread.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:38 pm
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that sounds good too! (Hmm, will my oven catch fire?)

Kicky is probably kidding, but it sounds great..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:41 pm
I dunno about Kicky's recipe. I have done this with a watermellon, but we ate the saturated flesh of the mellon, not the seeds. I dunno if I buy that the seeds will absorb the alcohol.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:42 pm
Pumpkin Gnocchi are nice too.

http://images.derstandard.at/20031022/k9c_c0.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:45 pm
We cross posted, you probably see the recipe above now...
and that pumpkin site is wonderful.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:53 pm
Ul - pumpkin gnocchi are nice! There's a trattoia here that makes them (melt-in-your-mouth gnocchi) with a browned butter-sage sauce. It's perfectly simple deliciousness.

Thanks for posting the recipe osso!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:53 pm
I don't really have any innovative pumpkin recipes to contribute. But, I would like to see other peoples recipes...like "seeds alla vodka" Cool (is this a real recipe kicky?)

By the way, you can sprinkle a light amount of cinnamon into a carved pumpkin just before lighting the candle...this will add a nice little spicy scent to your home.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:55 pm
colorbook - sprinkling jackolanterns with cinnamon is a great tip!
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:57 pm
I've also heard of people using both cinnamon and sugar...I've never tried the sugar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 03:59 pm
Hi, Ul, good to see you!

I had trouble at first with the pumpkin gnocchi picture, but saw it once I took off the /img] at the end.
I bet they are good with a sage butter sauce..
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:07 pm
Sage butter Sauce - great idea. I serve them with spinach, pine seeds and Parmesan. Easy to cook.

Sorry about the url-

Nice to see YOU.
0 Replies

littlek

ul wrote:
Pumpkin Gnocchi are nice too.

0 Replies

littlek

ooooh, pretty!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 04:27 pm
mmmmmmm
those look good
and the baked pumpkin/squash recipe looks fine

I've only ever had pumpkin once. About 30 years ago. In a vile pie.

I love butternut squash and other squashes. Is pumpkin really like butternut squash (if it's not in a skanky pie.)?
0 Replies