US wasted trillions on warfare instead of infrastructure

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:08 am
Chinese billionaire Jack Ma says US wasted trillions on warfare instead of infrastructure
https://viva-naija.com/chinese-billionaire-jack-ma-says-us-wasted-trillions-warfare-instead-infrastructure/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,374 • Replies: 27
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:32 am

Evil dictatorships always think that civilized democracies shouldn't have military power.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ed, Ora might be right tho can't be sure 'cause his link is stuck. However, I'd certainly nominate at least Iraq and Vietnam

https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=three+US+most+futile+wars

...while we look back on some wars themselves as positively silly. The Japanese eg mostly have that feeling about Pearl Harbor...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 02:34 pm
These current wars are for profit (Guess whose?) In the name of profit the entire middle east is destabilized for generations to come. Nobody will be immune to the violence. I can only hope Trump has the guts to tone down the fighting and get us out of there.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 06:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was not for the the wars I didn't agree with, that is, most all of them, but I started to pay attention to Bosnia. I somewhat understand the background for all that by now, books, articles, but I was not there.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 07:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
I get his point.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 09:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
There is having a strong military and then there is feeding all your resources to the machine.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 10:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Eisenhower tried to warn us in the 1950's but we wouldent listen.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 10:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
this is not news
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 10:32 pm
@RABEL222,
Yes, that's his most famous quote. The realization is the heart of my dissatisfaction, from his time to now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 10:33 pm
@ossobucotemp,
May not be news, but our government has apparently no knowledge of it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 04:55 am
@oralloy,
Which is why China funded America's illegal war in Iraq.

You really don't think these things through do you?

Know your limits, stick to World Of Warcraft ,the real World is way too complicated for one like you.
oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 07:19 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
These current wars are for profit (Guess whose?) In the name of profit the entire middle east is destabilized for generations to come.

The war against al-Qa'ida is because they came here and brutally murdered thousands of innocent people.

The war against Islamic State is because they plan to do the same if we don't stop them first.

edgarblythe wrote:
Nobody will be immune to the violence. I can only hope Trump has the guts to tone down the fighting and get us out of there.

The consequences of halting the war against Islamic State will be that they will grow in power, will slaughter even more people, and will be even harder to kill once reality forces us to go back to war against them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 07:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Which is why China funded America's illegal war in Iraq.
You really don't think these things through do you?

Your odd statement about China and Iraq is no reflection on my thinking.

izzythepush wrote:
Know your limits, stick to World Of Warcraft ,the real World is way too complicated for one like you.

I remind you that I'm a trillion times smarter than you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 09:34 am
If you look at all the actions of the US in that region, it looks like a kid going around kicking over other kids' blocks. Meanwhile killing thousands of combatants and civilians. Those thousands have friends and family. They are not going to be sympathetic to us. In Syria alone, our policy has vacillated so often, you can't follow without a program. It is not so much lack of force or resolve perpetuating these wars, but stupid blunders. And lots and lots of loot for certain parties. The fighting will likely go on, long after we finally declare victory and slink away, and it is the fault of GW Bush and B Obama.
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 09:40 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
May not be news, but our government has apparently no knowledge of it.

Oh they know all right.

The question is - Why aren't the American people outraged about it

A war that goes on 3 times longer than WWII? That ought to tell you something.

And don't get me started on the even longer war against our own citizens
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 11:40 am
@Leadfoot,
No way near as long as the war on drugs.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 11:48 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
If you look at all the actions of the US in that region, it looks like a kid going around kicking over other kids' blocks.

If they don't want us to come and kick over their blocks, they shouldn't be trying to murder us all the time.

edgarblythe wrote:
Meanwhile killing thousands of combatants and civilians. Those thousands have friends and family. They are not going to be sympathetic to us.

That's what they get for trying to murder us all the time.

edgarblythe wrote:
In Syria alone, our policy has vacillated so often, you can't follow without a program.

There has been hardly any vacillation at all.

Mr. Obama determined that unless we are going to launch a major ground invasion of Syria, there isn't much point to trying to topple Assad, so he kept us out of that fight completely.

Mr. Obama did however react to Assad's use of nerve gas against civilians by threatening a large volley of cruise missiles, which led to Assad giving up all of his nerve gas stockpiles. Later in the war when security collapsed, those nerve gas stockpiles had been eliminated and therefore did not fall into the hands of the terrorists.

Islamic State poses a grave threat to the United States, so Mr. Obama made it US policy to destroy them. He organized an alliance where the US provides the air power and the Kurds do all the fighting on the ground. This coalition has inflicted major damage on Islamic State thus far.

All in all a pretty straightforward policy. I might have done a massive invasion and killed Assad if it were my call, but I can't fault Mr. Obama for his decision. It was a hard call to make.

edgarblythe wrote:
It is not so much lack of force or resolve perpetuating these wars, but stupid blunders. And lots and lots of loot for certain parties.

The cause of these wars is aggression from the bad guys.

edgarblythe wrote:
The fighting will likely go on, long after we finally declare victory and slink away, and it is the fault of GW Bush and B Obama.

If we quit the war before we've destroyed our enemy, the fault of the continued fighting will be entirely due to the people who took us out of the war before the enemy was destroyed.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 11:49 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
The question is - Why aren't the American people outraged about it

What are we supposed to be outraged about?

Leadfoot wrote:
A war that goes on 3 times longer than WWII? That ought to tell you something.

It isn't telling me anything. What am I missing?

Leadfoot wrote:

War against our own citizens???
Leadfoot

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2017 05:50 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:

War against our own citizens???

It's the one that Izzy mentioned. He didn't get I was talking about that one either