The point of it all?

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 12:17 pm
The question is pretty self explanitory, what do you believe is the point of it all? Why do we live? why are we here? How did we get here? Where is the beginning and where is the end? Whats the point of our work when we must labor? and so on.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,116 • Replies: 96
No top replies

blueSky

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 01:07 pm
I beleive...
What do you believe is the point of it all? Why do we live? Why are we here?
To fulfill potential for something, to each his/her/its own

Where is the beginning?
When first conceived the potential of that something

How did we get here?
From…… …… … … Space… wind… fire… rain… sand… had been here for long… as a tadpole… as a fish… as a pig… as a stake… many shapes, many names. Each blending and merging into the next

And where is the end?
Contented detachment. Close eyes with a faint smile.

What's the point of our work when we must labor?
To use it to loose it. Like abs.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 01:28 pm
To assume there is a point is to miss the point.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 01:58 pm
Ancient philosophers never solved the problem of how many angels can dance on the point of a needle. The point is to seek the point. It takes a long time.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 02:09 pm
There could be many points.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 02:41 pm
The journey is all that matters. Points are just realizations along the road. Make of them what you will.
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 02:52 pm
Quote:
what do you believe is the point of it all?

...to increase the odds of something happening?
0 Replies

Sign Related

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 02:53 pm
The point of it all is that it all may be.

Life is here to manifest.

By the universe.

Where the beginning is there is the end, where the end is there is the beginning. And where something is ended at, something begins.

Work is to survive away from endangerment.

"in the end it doesnt even matter"--Linkin Park
0 Replies

Not Too Swift

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 03:08 pm
...Let me put it another way.

...the POINT is to find the point in pointless - something no philosopher has yet discovered...but I'm patient!
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 04:13 am
Re: The point of it all?
I agree with cavfancier. The point of life is living it. And I think this is a marvellous adventure.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 06:44 am
Beats me!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 08:41 am
"The stars in their courses have no destinations; the chain of events will arrive at no station. The inner and ultimate self of us all is dancing on nothing and having a ball."—Alan Watts
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:13 am
So is the point just perception of the point meaning that there is no definite point that someone can explain? Whats the point of that? Does this universe not operate on absolutes? So why can't there be an absolute in the point, a final point and not an opinion?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:21 am
furiousflee wrote:
So is the point just perception of the point meaning that there is no definite point that someone can explain? Whats the point of that? Does this universe not operate on absolutes? So why can't there be an absolute in the point, a final point and not an opinion?

The question was:

What is the point of life?

My answer was: "Beats me!"

By acknowledging that I do not know the answer to that question....I am not saying that there is no point.

I do not know if there is a point to life or not.

If there is...and there may be...I do not know what it is....and I suspect neither does anyone else.

Nothing wrong with guessing that there is a point...and nothing wrong with guessing about what the point is...

...but any of that stuff IS JUST GUESSING.

Why not just go with "I do not know if there is a point or not...and any guess I make might just as well be made by flipping a coin?
0 Replies

leithy

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:31 am
Maybe we need to view the question from the perspective of one who has lived life, and had the experiences.

What do the elderly think the point is? ...but then what is elderly?
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:33 am
The point of this thread is to question the questions we dare to question, So frank, the point of this thread is to find the point of the thread, the point of everything....I have my definition but who says ist is right?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:46 am
furiousflee wrote:
The point of this thread is to question the questions we dare to question, So frank, the point of this thread is to find the point of the thread, the point of everything....I have my definition but who says ist is right?

So what is your point?

You asked a question....and I answered it.

I think my answer makes lots of sense.

Apparently none of us know what the point of life is.

We can guess about it...but the guesses are just guesses.

So why guess?

Why not answer your original question with the truth...which apparently is: "We do not know if there is a "point" to life...and if there is, we cannot say witha any degree of confidence what that point is."

Do you find something objectionable about my reasoning?
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 11:58 am
of course not frank, I agree with you, but I believe that through a series of questions we might come to a more concrete answer about the point. I know that we all have some point of view about the point, but maybe through a global outlook on the point we can deduce a more acurate point....
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:44 pm
But if the point is making a point of there being no point in guessing, is that nevertheless not still a point?
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sat 9 Oct, 2004 12:47 pm
good point... Laughing
0 Replies