The point of it all?

JLNobody

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 11:20 pm
Val, I see your point. While societies seem to need to objectify their principal social values, the absolutization of values runs severe risks. Those "elite" who can live in the world realistically, with an awareness of the cultural and relativistic nature of such values, will less likely be the source of violence. Of course absolutists believe that relativism, particularly moral relativism, is the cause of much evil. That merely shows what I said before, that society insists, somewhat realistically and pragmatically, on the necessity of absolutism and the objectification of its moral code.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 06:56 am
Does water seek it's own level?
watching
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:46 am
The point of it all is that we are fortunate enough to be able to ask such questions.

The prime act of sentience is the act of perception of the knower as part of the known. This translates to the transcendent perceiving in time and space the actuality of a singularity. But one precedes the other in our perceptions. It indicates that the creator is the creation, and I would if I could sing the Grateful Dead song to you. "We are the eyes of the world" and arrive at the same point, and have more fun getting there too.

"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world,
the heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own.
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the mornin' brings,
But the heart has it's seasons, it's evenin's and songs of it's own."

Hunter/Garcia

It is the nature of our multi-dimensional existences that we are both knowers and the known and simultaneously creators and the created. We are, in short, the original idea creating other ideas.

Again, the point of it all is that we are fortunate enough to be able to ask such questions.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 01:53 pm
sigh...why do we always ask questions to which we already know the answers.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 06:45 pm
Personally, I believe that there is no point; that nothing we do matters in any grand plan et cetera. However, there is a paradoxical result of this in nihilism: once you decide there is no inherent point or meaning in anything, you are free to color in your own interpretation of reality and decide for yourself what meaning your life has. For me, the "meaning" or "point" of life is that everyone is going to die eventually, so I might as well be happy while I'm here. Anyone who tries to ruin that is a pitiful wretch, and is only worthy of my pity, not my hate, so when I die, it will be sans regrets, with a boatload of good thoughts and memories sending me off into the great abyss.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 08:45 pm
Taliesin, that sounds very wise to me.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 08:59 pm
Isn't it the point of it all to be somewhat idealistic, somewhat optimistic,
somewhat hopeful for those who replace ourselves?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:24 pm
Shepaints, I guess it all depends on one's frame of reference, but what has been said here is quite positive to me.
BTW, is Palette18 still in business?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 07:05 am
Yes, JL...still in business, but sleeping!
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
Thanks, JL. I was inspired by the second season of Joss Whedon's Angel; it tackles why the main character exists, and what his purpose is.
0 Replies

always dreaming

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 01:51 pm
wuts the point of life?

the point of life is to live. in order to live we must eat. inorder to eat we must have money. in order to have money we must work. we work to survive. so the point of life is to survive?

idk...im just sorta makin this up as i go along Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:24 pm
always dreaming wrote:
wuts the point of life?

the point of life is to live. in order to live we must eat. inorder to eat we must have money. in order to have money we must work. we work to survive. so the point of life is to survive?

idk...im just sorta makin this up as i go along Laughing

Yeah...we could tell!

See yer Laughing ...and raise you :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

always dreaming

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 02:59 pm
hahaha....okay i call...nemore bets or can i show my royal flush Laughing
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 09:38 pm
The moment you apply a meaning to life, it loses all its meaning.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 03:52 am
CerealKiller wrote:

Well...this thread IS in the Philosophy section...so it should come to no surprise to anyone that a philosopher should eventually show up.

How ya doin',CK? :wink:

Have a good Thanksgiving?

I'm all ate out myself!
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:35 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:

Well...this thread IS in the Philosophy section...so it should come to no surprise to anyone that a philosopher should eventually show up.

I'm all ate out myself!

I was hoping the Detroit/Indy game would have been more competitive but other than that it was a good day.

Any day when I don't have to work 2 jobs is a good day in my book. :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 01:07 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:

I'm all ate out myself!

I was hoping the Detroit/Indy game would have been more competitive but other than that it was a good day.

Any day when I don't have to work 2 jobs is a good day in my book. :wink:

Indy's Manning is simply tearing up the league...but I suspect our (Giants) Manning will eventually do what he has done all his life so far...eclipse what his father and older brother have done.

Damn do I hope that!
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:59 pm
I'm pretty good at answering these questions!

The answer:

Theres no point!
I'd kill myself except the possibility I might be wrong (but I'm not) Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:26 pm
binnyboy wrote:
I'm pretty good at answering these questions!

The answer:

Theres no point!
I'd kill myself except the possibility I might be wrong (but I'm not) Smile

Binny...is your life that deep in the toilet...or were you just engaging in gross overstatement?
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
Nope... that's where I am
Crying or Very sad

That's the reality of nihilism hitting you in the face.
I'd probably not fell exactly the way I do if I hadn't rejected Christianity as a teenager and found nothing to replace it with. But then I'd just have some other false notion that my life was built on. All of them are false... the notions lives are built on that is.
But yeah that's where I am. But even my own sadness is irrelevant.
0 Replies