What is all difference?

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 01:53 pm
What is the full identity of difference?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,299 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 04:07 pm
@Thomas33,
Tom I wonder if for the sake of the illiterate (me) you might restate the q as if you were addressing a small kid
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 05:27 pm
@Thomas33,
Do you mean the definition of difference?

dif·fer·ence
[ˈdif(ə)rəns]
NOUN
a point or way in which people or things are not the same:
"the differences between men and women"
synonyms: dissimilarity · contrast · distinction · differentiation · [more]
VERB
heraldry
alter (a coat of arms) to distinguish members or branches of a family.
Thomas33

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 05:32 pm
@dalehileman,
I'm trying to explore what the full scope of difference is. Although it's possible that this isn't possible, because it means to violate the terms of difference.
If I'm part of difference, I don't think it's logical that I can understand something I'm part of.
Thomas33

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 05:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sort of. I mean to literally wonder what all definitions of difference are.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 05:54 pm
@Thomas33,
The world is full of difference. You need to be specific as to what you're asking about. Difference is all around us.

Quote:
If I'm part of difference, I don't think it's logical that I can understand something I'm part of.

Sure you can. Are you white, black, asian, or native american? Is your background one culture or several cultures.

Are your parents from the same background? If not, what are they?

I'm Japanese American. I learned recently, that Japanese are really Korean. It's been proven by DNA. My father was born in Hawaii, and my mother was born in Portland, Oregon. Both are of Japanese ancestry.

Most of our children are married outside of our culture. Even my sister is now married to a Russian. We have German, Polynesian, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russian, and Black in our family. Probably more, because we've not kept in touch with our extended family.
Thomas33

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 06:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks for the reply. I'm actually referring though to the universe, and the full implications of how it operates.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2016 07:11 pm
@Thomas33,
Scientists have pretty much explained our universe. I'm still not in the big bang theory crowd, but almost everything else about it.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:47 am
@cicerone imposter,
Cis I'd defend the Bang
However my reaction to Tom's q is pretty much like yours: It seems the terms are too general to make much sense to your Average Clod (me)
0 Replies

High Strangeness

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:24 pm
For many years most scientists said the universe was expanding like debris from an explosion (the Big Bang), but that it was slowing down because of mutual gravitation attraction.
But in recent years many of them are now saying the universe's expansion is ACCELERATING, not slowing down!
Wish they'd make up their minds..Wink
dalehileman

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:53 pm
@High Strangeness,
Quote:
Wish they'd make up their minds
Indeed Strange
Forgive lousy pun

There's a lot of appeal in eventual slowing, then stop, then the Big Crunch. We'd suppose when the Crunch got heavy enough it would explode....ad infinitum
0 Replies