How Bible principles can help

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:10 am
In light today's social climate of violence and hate, how beneficial do you think it would be if everyone made determined effort to apply this Bible standard?

Matthew 5:43 You heard that it was said: ‘You must love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise on both the wicked and the good and makes it rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 633 • Replies: 9
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:14 am
@anthony1312002,
Come on Anthony, no Christian actually believes the Sermon on the mount. Everyone interprets this away.

Quote:
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Show me a church that actually follows this teaching.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:15 am
@anthony1312002,
It would also help if the Christians on Able2know didn't act like assholes to other members.
anthony1312002

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:42 am
@maxdancona,
Actually there are many who live by this. Jehovah's Witnesses are well known for this even by governments opposed to any religious beliefs such as Russia is today.
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:49 am
@maxdancona,
Well, in trying to choose a better expression. It may be that these ones who act this way are such in name only. Jesus revealed that there would be many pretenders at Matthew cheaper 7 where he stated:

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!

Note in verse 23 he rejects the notion that these pretenders ever had a relationship with him even though they claimed that they did.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 07:28 am
@anthony1312002,
First of all, How do you explain the nastiness coming from Christians on able2know? (I think they are, in fact, Jehovah's witnesses).

The biggest "enemy" we have in the US are Islamic extremists. Are Jehovah's witnesses loving Islamic extremists?
mark noble

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 07:44 am
@anthony1312002,
Hate...?
Yeah, that'll work.
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 07:50 am
@maxdancona,
Well, I have no doubt that you have had some bad experiences with those who claim to be Christian. Even by some who claim to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses. And if you have been mistreated by some who claim to be Jehovah's Witnesses, they are among the very ones Jesus spoke of at Matthew 7:21-23. They are in fact impostors, Jehovah’s Witnesses in name only.

And no, we have no love for nor do we associate with those who believe and or behave in that manner.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 08:36 am
@anthony1312002,
Quote:
And no, we have no love for nor do we associate with those who believe and or behave in that manner.

What if the people who "believe and or behave in that manner" happen to be your enemies... then do you have love for them?
anthony1312002

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:04 am
@maxdancona,
From the Bible’s standpoint, yes. It comes down to loving them in a principled way. That is, being willing to treat people in a manner that shows you are concerned for their welfare and at the same time provide them with an example of integrity that they might emulate because of becoming ashamed of their conduct. Note how this is highlighted at Proverbs 25:21, 22:

21 "If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat; If he is thirsty, give him water to drink, 22 For you will be heaping burning coals on his head, And Jehovah will reward you."

The expression "heaping burning coals on his head" relates to the effect a course of integrity can have on those who may at the time act as our enemies, moving them to want to be better than they are. Granted, from a human point of view this might appear as weakness. But in actuality, to stand your ground by being willing to live by Bible principles, regardless of the response of others takes great courage.
0 Replies