Got any good, easy recipes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,757 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:20 pm
Yep, buy frozen stuffed phyllo stuff. Laughing But seriously, are you looking for savoury or sweet?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:23 pm
http://www.athens.com/graphics/recipe_photos/0020.jpg
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:29 pm
Mmm...apple strudel....
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:30 pm
Anything to use it up! I saw a recipe online that looked yum-yum good: with hamburger and vegetables, so I bought the frozen phyllo dough, but then misplaced the recipe. Embarrassed So, now I need to think of something to do with it... Any ideas are terrific!

Let's see, what do I have in the house to work with? Um, cream cheese, eggplant, hamburger, onions, peaches... It's the end of the month, so I'm trying to use up what I have... Anything you can think of do make that is good and most people probably have on stock, I probvably have... I am something of a food hoarder... Embarrassed
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:33 pm
ground beef, chopped onions, parsley and carrots, seasoning.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:41 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
ground beef, chopped onions, parsley and carrots, seasoning.

OK, but what and how? I need a recipe. Cooking is not my strong suit.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:44 pm
Oh, ok. I'm making this up but I would brown the meat in a pan with the chopped carrots and onions and seasonings. When it smells good I'd put spoonfuls onto phyllo squares and find some way to pinch them closed or roll them or something. Then I'd bake them. Don't hate me if it tastes like crap.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:29 pm
One of the things I really like about phyllo is the fun you can have folding things into different shapes.

One of the cool ideas from the cooking forum I frequent is using a mister to get melted butter, or olive oil, on the sheets. Not ripping the phyllo when you're oiling can be the trickiest bit.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 08:48 pm
I finally located the recipe I wanted to make originally. Here it is; doesn't it sound good?

Quote:
Phyllo Hamburger Samosas

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp minced fresh ginger (I used 1/2 tsp powder)
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne
3/4 lb lean ground beef (I use extra lean)
1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
salt to taste
12 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
1/3 cup butter, melted

In non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in curry powder, coriander, cumin, black pepper and cayenne. Add ground beef; cook, stirring to break meat up well, until no longer pink. Stire in peas. Add salt to taste, and more cayenne or hot sauce if desired. Let cool.

Place one sheet of phyllo on work surface (horizontally, with long edge toward you). Cut phyllo vertically into 3 strips. Fold each strip in half lengthwise. Brush lightly with melted butter. Working with one strip at a time, place a scant tablespoon of filling at bottom end of strip. Fold up one corner of phyllo so that bottom edge meets side edge of strip, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up and continue folding to end of strip, as if folding a flag. Repeat with remining phyllo and filling. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops lightly with melted butter. Bake in 375F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Makes 36.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:54 pm
I'm bumping this thread up since I've got some phyllo dough in the freezer and need to learn to use it. EhBeth's comment was particularly helpful re the spray bottle for applying butter - oil. I've only worked with phyllo once before, a long time ago, and gave up on it and tossed it... when apparently every one else knows how to use it easily.

Wonder if one can make decent croissants with it...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:59 pm
@princesspupule,
Found this link. My eyes lit up when I saw, "baklava"! It looks llike a very easy recipe!

http://www.athens.com/consumers/recipes.aspx
0 Replies