What are the Best and Worst Disney movies?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 07:42 pm
Well, we don't 100% agree. I think what they do now is fantastic. But I consider some of the old style cartoons masterpieces.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 08:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
My husband got an interview with a very high up person I won't name as he is still around to present his treatment, and came home without their enthusiasm. Three weeks to four weeks later, Disney was putting his idea in development, shown in the trades.

That sucked, he had spent months working that. We saw the announcement of the development. It was a clear capture, but legally ok, I gather, as an idea isn't owned, and they could have changed it enough. I suppose the good news is the movie didn't get made.

Guess what I feel for Disney.
Guess who was bringing in our minor income while he wrote?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I said early on that my opinion of Disney is not what it once was.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 08:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
I edited to be more clear, and edited again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2016 09:53 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

My husband got an interview with a very high up person I won't name as he is still around to present his treatment, and came home without their enthusiasm. Three weeks to four weeks later, Disney was putting his idea in development, shown in the trades.

That sucked, he had spent months working that. We saw the announcement of the development. It was a clear capture, but legally ok, I gather, as an idea isn't owned, and they could have changed it enough. I suppose the good news is the movie didn't get made.

Guess what I feel for Disney.
Guess who was bringing in our minor income while he wrote?

I am guessing that sort of thing happens often. It seems a good idea to find a way to document your encounter. Then, maybe you could not stop them, but you could try to publicly embarrass them.
Kathy2

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 01:55 am
@tsarstepan,
The Best :
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Pollyanna
Escape to Witch Mountain (original)
White Fang
Pirates of the Carribean
Treasure Island
Mastermind
Swiss Family Robinson

The Worst
Gnome
Escape to Witch Mountain (w/ the Rock)
The Tooth Fairy 1 + 2
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2016 10:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Tape recording seems a good idea in retrospect. That was all fairly long ago now.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 08:25 am
Eight Below
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 09:56 am
My favorite Disney films are the modern era of the studio.
Big Hero 6 (2014)
Finding Nemo (2003)
The Incredibles (2004)
Inside Out (2015)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
Ratatouille (2007)
Spirited Away (2001)
Tangled (2010)
Up (2009)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 10:26 am
@tsarstepan,
I did not know Roger Rabbit was Disney. He is a favorite of mine also.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 01:59 pm
I was just floored when I first saw The Little Mermaid, the first of the "New Disney" animated feature films.

The detail in her facial expressions were, and still are, fantastic.

What's more, it was done by hand before they went to CGI animation.

farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2016 03:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
CGI is just a tool. It doesnt eliminate the needs for talent The artists who conceived the various characters still were at the heart of the cartoons. CGI helps the animation, shading,movement, facial expressions etc.
The use of too;ls such as camera obscura, projectors, and matte painting, have long been used in the arts.
One thing about CGI , it certainly creates more jobs than the "cel artists" that were used in the early days of animation.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 06:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I think I will like his new live action Jungle Book.

Looks like they did the 3D properly when they made it:

http://realorfake3d.com/
oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 07:56 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
I think I will like his new live action Jungle Book.

Looks like they did the 3D properly when they made it:
http://realorfake3d.com/

It also looks like they put the 3D effects to very good use in the movie:
http://www.3dor2d.com/reviews/junglebook-2016

(This is a different issue from my first link. My first link considers whether they did the 3D properly on a technical level. This link considers whether their implementation of the 3D was artistic/creative/enjoyable.)
oralloy
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2016 09:13 am
@oralloy,
/grumble

I have the tune to The Bare Necessities running through my head over and over now.

Neutral
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 12:00 am
@engineer,
Interesting, I thought it peaked from Beauty and the Beast to the Lion King, wasn't very interested in any after that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2016 03:19 am
I don't do "best of" questions--however, i do have a comment to make. I greatly enjoyed Lilo and Stitch, which i saw in theatrical release. I didn't see any of the direct to video or television productions. I also greatly enjoyed A Bug's Life. Frozen seems to have been very successful, too--but i've not seen that one.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Sun 22 May, 2016 11:01 pm
IMHO, the very worst of all Disney movies to date has to be "Into the Woods"... This movie is just all wrong, in so many places. I know that a lot of parents just rent or buy it because it's Disney, slap it into the DVD player, and go off to do parent things while the kids sit wide-eyed and silent, watching things on the screen that were probably not intended for young children to see...

Rather crude references to child-bearing by the witch ("There's nothing cooking in there, IS there?").

A rather pointed reference by the witch to the baker having a sister about whom he knew nothing, but this issue was never resolved, and it seems he never meets her in the course of the movie anyway - there is no "joyous reunion" - so what was the point to mentioning her as a sister anyway?

A young girl travelling through the woods loses her innocence to a smooth-talking wolf (who I admit was a villain played most splendidly by Johnny Depp). She ends up wearing the wolf's skin as a cape (what does THAT tell you psychologically?).

A young boy who more-than hints at some sort of "awakening" when he is held against a female giant's breast and "learns things he never knew before"...?

OK to steal from the giants because, well, they're GIANTS. And then it's OK for a young boy to murder the giant who just demands his stolen gold be returned, then to murder the giant's wife who comes to avenge his death.

Parents and grandparents are killed but a minute later the two most obnoxious and LOUD kids I ever saw in any Disney film are happy and smiling, listening to a guy who just lost his wife to a fall in "the pit" sit and tell a story.

VERY thinly-disguised lust and seduction sequence in the woods by a prince (no less) who is searching for his lost fiancé. He perpetrates this on the baker's wife, who then vacillates between guilt, attraction to the prince, and loyalty to her husband. She then dies by falling into a deep pit.

OK for the young boy to rob the dead. He finds the baker's scarf on the dead wife, so he takes it and wears it. The baker sees it on him, takes it away and questions the boy. Only then does the boy inform the baker that his wife is dead.

OK for the king's steward to kill the boy's mother. The baker informs the boy that his mother is dead, killed when the steward pushed her to the ground. The boy wants revenge but the death is rationalized away by the baker, and the boy is mollified.

Over-long and purposeless songs that contribute nothing more than what a single quatrain could have covered easily.

A rather vicious "family-feud" type blaming sequence (in which each character severely guilt-trips each other for all the mishaps and deaths in the story) that is sure to give children nightmares.

And ... Chris Pine singing...

These (and more) are the life lessons and morals we want our kids to see and accept as OK, simply because they came out of a Disney studio? And I recently read that "Song of the South" was banned from being shown in its entirety because of racial content? "Song of the South" would seem rather tame compared to the messages "Into the Woods" send to our kids...

I used to think Disney made primarily "family-friendly" movies, but this one was a total turn-off even for my adult relatives who watched it with me.

(Whew) OK, sorry for that ... rant over ...
roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 12:01 am
@Seizan,
So, you think I should take time to see it?
Seizan

Reply Mon 23 May, 2016 03:39 am
@roger,
Absolutely! It was a blast!

A slow blast, but a blast...

Ka.

Booo.

Ooom...

;-)
0 Replies