Does attitude make a difference?

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 09:18 am
Which of the following do you think has the biggest effect on your happiness?

A: your circumstances;
B: your genes;
C: your attitude.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 3,416 • Replies: 17
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 12:03 pm
@anthony1312002,
Tony, the biggest effect might be realized from different causes at different times

However let's hear from the restaya
anthony1312002

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 12:05 pm
@dalehileman,
What about you personally?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 12:08 pm
@anthony1312002,
At the moment, A, Tony, based on B and C. Sorry can't be more specific but I'll think about it a bit
dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 12:45 pm
@dalehileman,
But Tony you asked, "Does attitude make a difference?" My immediate response, of course it does. However you might wish to elaborate
anthony1312002

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 12:59 pm
@dalehileman,
Well, I agree with you that attitude is is the key. I know of some individuals who have suffered major accidents that have maimed them. But they have some of the most positive attitudes.
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:14 pm
@dalehileman,
The positive attitude of some reminds me of a text found at Proverbs 24:10 which says: "If you become discouraged in the day of distress, your strength will be meager."

As we know pessimism can sap a person of the strength we need to improve our situation or to help us at least deal with it successfully.
0 Replies

behappy99

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 12:11 am
@anthony1312002,
I think personality is also a kind of attitude.
0 Replies

behappy99

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2017 12:13 am
@dalehileman,
I agree. But going back to what the question was my answer would be YES, attitude make a difference towards happiness. The irony is simple, how you take the circumstances.
anthony1312002

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:59 am
@behappy99,
Very true, having a positive viewpoint of your circumstances, no matter what they might be, can truly be an affective way in dealing with negative circumstances. This makes me think of the attitude Jesus had at Hebrews 12:2 "as we look intently at the Chief Agent and Perfecter of our faith, Jesus. For the joy that was set before him he endured a torture stake, despising shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

He was able to look beyond his present circumstances.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:34 am
@anthony1312002,
Quote:
you personally?
Good q, Tony. Prolonged life, excellent Better Half, successful kids; to the extent thy entail attitude
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 02:45 pm
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:
Jesus has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

God must have been beside himself that day.

What was the point in asking your original question? So you can preach or give your self an excuse to toss around Bible quotes?

None of this actually made any sense. And your question was already accurately answered. It depends on the day. Some times attitude is all you need but other times it's not enough.

camlok

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2017 02:55 pm
@Krumple,
First line

Smile
0 Replies

juliacha

Reply Wed 9 Aug, 2017 10:35 pm
@anthony1312002,
All of it. However, your attitude is the one thing that can be controlled.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2017 06:27 am
Which of the following do you think has the biggest effect on your happiness?

A: your circumstances;
B: your genes;
C: your attitude.

Krumple said: Some times attitude is all you need but other times it's not enough.

I agree.
I don't know if circumstances effect happiness. I guess they do. My niece recently had a baby after trying for 8 years and they are over the moon happy. I've seen people in impoverished circumstances who are basically happy. Some say they are happy because they don't know what they are missing and when given the chance to compare their circumstances to someone who supposedly has it better (has more)than they do they become jealous. Instead of focusing on what they have they focus on what they don't have.
Circumstances certainly effect unhappiness, bad things happen. As for me, I feel there is always hope. Jesus gives us reason to hope. I've seen that make a difference in christians' lives and I guess in their attitude and how happy they are.
I've always felt that depression was the result of an imbalance in the chemical makeup of the brain. Whenever I feel depressed I tell myself it's only a chemical imbalance and I just need to endure it until that imbalance eventually straightens itself out, but I believe sometimes , as Krumple says , that is not enough. Sometimes antidepressents , medications, are needed and those often take time, trial and error and endurance, to find the right balance.
I suppose genes could make a difference. I watched this cool documentary on human genes. They found a person's personality is due somewhat to nature and somewhat to nurture and nurture (how a person is brought up or the circumstances they exist in ) does make a difference in how their genetic nature manifests itself. In that case therapy can work for them to make changes, avoid toxic situations, and improve their life.
0 Replies

damonwy

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2017 09:10 am
@anthony1312002,
I'm glad you asked this Anthony! I happen to have a lot of knowledge in this area.
Commonly, people will say that "attitude" plays the biggest role. However likely this is wrong. CIRCUMSTANCE A.K.A Environment is the most powerful factor. Genes are nothing more than the levels you'll be born with.
Attitude however is the most valuable asset for creating new levels of happiness. There are several simple ways to utilize this concept to achieve complete happiness, this is the basis of a popular newsletter I own.

If you're interested in getting on for free, opt in through this link:
damonwylde.com
Hope I've helped.
-Damon
0 Replies

lynn lucka

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2018 08:04 am
@dalehileman,
It's definitely attitude. You are what you think!
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Sun 23 May, 2021 03:52 am
@anthony1312002,
1. Your circumstances can change. And they do alot.
2. Genes is alot of nonsense. Lemme explain. When you look at chromosomes, they mainly only affect the physical reality of things. Hair color, eye color, weight (yes you could technically blame weight on genes, if you have a hormonal problem, though more likely it's lifestyle, which brings us to epigenetics; our choices affect our genes), bones, sex. You should not blame genes for our cirumstances, our personality, our attitude. These things are not inherited. You are bipolar because the overall mood at home was up and down. You are a jerk to others because nobody taught you how people feel. Stuff like that. To say those things are set in stone is to make a copout. But I've met a ton of people who like to make copouts. It's easier than #3.
3. Changing your attitude. Attitude indeed does make a difference. I'm speaking as someone who probably suffers from both schizoid and bipolar. Hooray for me. Offline, I am alot more shy, and my emotions in general are blunted. Amazingly, I was able to hold a job at the library for about two or three years. But usually, that's the limit except when working for myself. My mood typically interferes and is a bad match for employers. I know personally how attitude means the difference between a happy life where you get the girl (sorry lesbians, this notion that you are somehow jinxed romantically is mostly attitude, it's you doing it to yourself) and get to work on something valuable to you, and being stuck in a dead-end job or being unemployed or lonely.

That said, I'm oddly happier when things aren't good or bad. Too much happening is draining even if things seem good. And since I am wary of happiness, I seem to screw it up. I just don't like being alobe. But I can't get along with most people. So in the end, closing off my emotions, and hoping nobody bothers me is what I want I guess. But they always do.

Watch. By the end of today, even though this answer is perfectly fine, I will likely receive two downvotes, if not three. Some people on this forum apparently hate everything I say.
0 Replies