The Blizzard Diaries

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 09:41 am
@farmerman,
Speaking of sheep, I'm sheepishly looking at the sun blazing away here (trying to sneak past 50 deg) in so FL coldest day and night (40 deg) so far in the season.

Been thinking how these old bones don't miss the shoveling snow. I had it up to here...(holding arms up) with that crap. Once I went bionic in 2003, I planned my getaway from it. I'm broke but I'm warm and snow-and- ice-free, by jinky.

I really sympathize and empathize with friends in the great white north. Come on Down!
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 10:01 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Come on Down!
Now STOP that! You're gonna ruin the place that way. And don't go tell'n em about the right place to escape to when FL turns to hell in about 4 months.
Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 10:07 am
@Leadfoot,
Hey, the hell here just cooled off as recently as 3 weeks ago. We had the '80s and schvitzing heat..not that long ago. It's not actually the Paradise as the claims say.

FWIW, I think FL is a lot closer to Calif population now than ever. (38.8m vs nearly 21 M) but I can handle the heat..even the humidity. At least we can run A/c and you don't have to shovel heat.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 10:13 am
@Ragman,
I lived in New Orleans ,w hich is even more of a jungle climate than Fla IMHO. I loved the town , but the spring , summer, and fall were jjust unbearable. Id much rather live where seasons do what they are supposed to.
I spent much time in Imokolee doing work for the Phosphate mining industry. I recall chasing alligators out of our drainage ditches in 99 degree heat.
NAAAH,
Thats why they invented cabs on tractors and snowblowers. (Just like you rely on AC to make life liveable, we hve other hunks of technology that reduces discomfort.
ANyway, I still like cross country skiing. (Qlthough not this year)

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 10:19 am
@farmerman,
what was a show-stopper for me...wasn't the cold, or even the snow. It's having a week of ice-storms where you couldn't do a bloody thing..no food shopping. And even if you could go out ...drive down your street. A week long power outage..not at my house..but for about 250,000 neighbors.

We had the power generator, plenty of firewood..a good wood stove and dogs to keep me company. I just couldn't take that isolation and cabin fever and lack of sunlight. At the age (then) of 60 years and a heart condition, it was time to get out of the lack of sunlight and ice-bowl.

I saw my getaway, and skee-daddled. Not that I'm intending to compare or argue the point, but being on a fixed, lower income, I couldn't manage as you do with the devices and machinery and tech you had/have.

That all being said, I still have my x-country skiis stashed on my balcony here..that I bought in 1980s..and the boots (just no poles), ready to go and ski FL at the first signs of snow.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 11:37 am
@Ragman,
try to stay cool. (We get the opposite wish)
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 11:49 am
In southeast Texas, we do get the heat; no question. But this time of year, I have to keep heat on all day long, most days. I am content to have two seasons. As I get older, I appreciate warmth more than I did, even five years ago.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
I put my socks on (infrequent until this time of the year) instead of sandals, had to wear long pants while walking the dog and even wore a windbreaker at night...because of the breeze.

Stop the madness!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 01:55 pm
@farmerman,
Crutches Farmerman?!
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 04:34 pm
@dlowan,
just for a little while yet. A steer busted my instep by stomping me . On Friday I told him how much I like steak diane.
dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 10:04 pm
@farmerman,
Oh. That must have hurt.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 11:56 pm
@dlowan,
Hell no, I enjoy reciting recipes to my cattle.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 12:22 am
@farmerman,
You talk to your steer, and I talk to myself. You're way ahead of me!
roger

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 01:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
Only if the steer talks back.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 11:26 am
@roger,
We still have a little less than 20"s of snow on the roads in my neighborhood. The county may not get to us until Wed. I don't have cabin fever yet, the dogs seem to have a love-hate deal going on with the snow. They can't wait to get out, and when they do they barrel back to the house. The only thing I would really like to get is some Mucinex to get rid of the cough that took up residence in my lungs.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 11:47 am
We are into our second day of sun and above freezing temperatures. There is some serious melting going on.
My porch and steps still look a bit treacherous, though, and I left my cane in the car. I tend to leave it places often; so much so that I wrote my phone number on it in the event someone finds it.
Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 05:03 pm
Yesterday there was lots of slush. Slip-sliding away. Today there is still plenty of slush, but we've entered the lake stage. At the corners are very large deep puddles. These will last a long time, unless it gets cold again. Then the puddles will turn to ice. Not good.

There are two very large high mounds across the street from me. I think there's a car under one (not sure) and that the second is just a pile of snow.

Yesterday when I was out, I wanted to throw a snowball. Today I just wanted to get back in.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 05:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
melting was big time. Our new building had apparently allowed some wind blown snow into the roof vents, so weve got about a half inch of snow here and there and when it starts melting , yukk. So Ive got some guys coming in to shovel the snow from beams and the plywood "attic floor"
glitterbag

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2016 07:26 pm
@farmerman,
It's getting serious, very low on dog food. If I don't restock by Wed afternoon, we will be in deep kimchi.
farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 05:46 am
@glitterbag,
dogs will feats on your bones if you dont get out and buy some kibbles n bits