The Blizzard Diaries

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 06:53 am
@glitterbag,
If it stays powdery We may dodge the power outage bullet. Weve had a new gennie on order from the Generac guys (Our old gennie died last summer). They had to get a larger 18Kw and the installer is waiting for some Amish to lay a concrete pad for the gennie and the air conditioner

Therefore, we too are without a gennie as "Jonas" winds down around us. Ive just piled up lotsa firewood just in case.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 07:17 am
I got up at 4 this morning. Power still on as the predicted winds didn't materialize. It isn't really cold so I am fine with the water.
We have had about 12" with another 12 hours of snow predicted.
Best wishes to folks farther up the east coast.
George

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:18 am
"Powdery" -- I love that word.
Stay powdery, Jonas.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:29 am
@George,
That looks like Clemson. Beautiful. But people are stuck on the interstate in snow drifts. My son is in Cali, and I'm afraid for him to land in ATL. I hope they continue to postpone flights.

The storm is surging. Ugh.
Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:33 am
@realjohnboy,
Oh thank goodness you have power! What an unbearable nightmare to be that cold!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:46 am
The only casualty so far for me has been my poor mailbox by the road. It was killed in the line of duty, probably by a plow. It now lies in the yard, looking like roadkill.
I get my mail elsewhere so it is really no loss.

George's photo is of the amphitheater at UVA.

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:52 am
@realjohnboy,
up north in the "Great Kingdom" N of Albany near Whitefce Mt, they all tie their mailboxes to the posts by long chains. So when the plows come by and the mailboxes get plowed off their posts, the folks can just findthe chains and pull in their boxes and good to go.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 11:53 am
I wonder if CNN knows that there's some other impactful news to report on? This thing is just about played out news-coverage wise.

Just let's bid 1, no Trump!
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 12:01 pm
@Ragman,
Relax, itll pass over. Afterall, its important news to almost 100 MILLION people that live between NC and Boston
Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 12:03 pm
@farmerman,
I get that, but as usual CNN overplays it. I got to admit I liked seeing Gov Christie speak.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 12:14 pm
@Ragman,
well, if youd watch FOX, they get to the bottom about where the blame for this storm resides. IT WAS OBAMA, IGNORING CONGRESS WHO WAS TO BLAME FOR EL NINO.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 12:39 pm
@Ragman,
I'm right here in the middle of the snow and I'm weary of CNN milking every conceivable angle for "hair on fire" snow catastrophe stories. To be fair, local news has been banging the blizzard drum since this past Wednesday with on-air reporters practically shouting to make sure every viewer knows how URGENT this is.
Here in Annapolis, we got 15 inches, and it's powdery so we didn't lose any trees or most importantly lose power. Mr. g'bag is from Raleigh and loves the snow (he's also an amateur meteorologist) so he's been tracking the storm via his weather sites. Dogs seem happy, and I'm still coughing because I haven't completely recovered from the dreaded bronchitis.

A nice cup of hot cocoa seems like a great idea, I'll go fetch a mug.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 12:40 pm
@farmerman,
It's totally his fault and the former Sec. of State should be behind bars.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 12:49 pm
Meantime, here's an article with a video of Tian Tian, panda at the Smithsonian National Zoo, having a good time in the snow ---
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tian-tian-panda-blast-snow-article-1.2507061
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 02:35 pm
There's a somewhat half-hearted snowfall right now in Stoneham. Julius the
Snowblower stands at the ready in my backyard, ready to roar into action.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 02:54 pm
So when are they going to get an actual blizzard there? It's not a real blizzard until you get six or seven feet of snow in a couple of days. That's when you have to throw the snow up over your head when you shovel the sidewalks.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 03:01 pm
It started snowing again, still powdery and we may get between 1 & 3 inches. Moxnix, for the time being.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 03:02 pm
@Setanta,
Got something like that last year.
It'll hold me for a while.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 03:04 pm
The snow has stopped.
The sun is out.
Bring out your dead.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 03:09 pm
@realjohnboy,
man draped over other man's shoulder - I'm not dead yet!
other man - Yes you are!
man draped over other man's shoulder - No! I'm feeling better