The Blizzard Diaries

glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 03:59 pm
The weather in Maryland is nuts. Most of Nov was fairly mild, in fact so mild that the grass had to be mowed on December 9th. Now we are up to our keister in blustery snow.
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 04:37 pm
@glitterbag,
I went out to the far barn on the "golf cart" and forgot my crutches. So I was hobbling through the snow and , its so deep that I found I could sorta SLIIIDE my foot cast on the snow like a sled. I have it all wrapped up in a sweatshirt and its stuffed into a big plastic garbage bag.

Im tinking of a new invention here.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 04:50 pm
@farmerman,
Go for it..
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 04:55 pm
@farmerman,
I does sound like fun!! Oh wait a minute, are you still taking the happy pills?
rosborne979

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 07:55 pm
Could I just say how weird it is to be hearing about a blizzard on the east coast in January and to NOT be part of it. We haven't seen even a flake of snow in Southern NH from this storm. It feels like the rest of the east coast kicked us out of the blizzard club or something.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:04 pm
@Lash,
I would be more afraid for him in Colombia.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 08:13 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, there is always February and March, don't despair.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 09:31 pm
@glitterbag,
That was a spit by me. Many californians, now dying out, hated had the word Cali to describe the state, sort of like people in the San Francisco area hated the word Frisco, still true far as I know.

I've lived there in california something like 45 years, Lash was there for a few. She may be right, people she knew didn't think that way.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 09:54 pm
@glitterbag,
no more drugs. He gave me some OXy and Im dead scared to get hooked so I only used about 3 days worth an then tossed em in the John.
Ive been taking Tylenol or aspirin and its fine. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain so when it started too subside from the initial throbbing, it was easy to stop the drugs.

The "golf cart" has a Lift Kit and oversize tires so it stays fairl;y high. Now, its stuck halway from barn 2 to the main one. Thats about 500 ft . The snow has drifted to maybe 5 ft drifts in the field so, the cart is not going anywhere. Ill take out the tractor tomorrow, its supposed to begin a warming trend.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 10:54 pm
@farmerman,
The second wave of snow dropped 5 inches, more than we expected. The total here is about 20 inches. The County snow plows haven't touched our community so we can't get out to the main road, but I still have eggs and chicken salad, oh and of course we have bread we can toast. I am however, very grateful that we never lost power. I'm calling the Generac guys Tuesday. I'd call Monday, but they won't be dug out until Tues. or Wed.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 11:01 pm
Jonas = Snow bomb
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:14 am
There's no traffic allowed on the streets! This is a shock to me. Doesn't happen often. The last time was 9/11.

Officials are not taking advantage of the absence of traffic. The roads aren't be cleared. In fact, that's where people are walking. In the middle of the road. I saw somebody making a snow angel--right in the middle of Lexington Avenue.

Will they allow traffic tomorrow? Dunno. Will stores be open? Dunno. For reasons beyond my ken, I'm never consulted in such matters.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:55 am
I wanna go out and play. Crying or Very sad
glitterbag

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 01:31 am
@Roberta,
Me too
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 05:35 am
@George,
We've had three of those seven-footers in the last decade, and it's usually in late January or early February. We get a warm, moist air mass coming up from the States, which picks up more moisture over the lake, and then hits the arctic air mass which likes to hang around here in the winter. Instant snow dump--several feet at a time, and as i say, six to seven feet in a few days, three times in the last decade. I'm gettin' too old to shovel that much snow.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 05:40 am
This happens to be Buffalo, which is just down the road, but you get the picture:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03113/buffalo_3113350b.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 06:48 am
@Roberta,
You got enough egg cremes to tide you over?
Roberta

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 06:52 am
@dlowan,
I have all the fixings I need for egg creams. Haven't made one in a while. You brung it up, bunny. Now I'm inspired.

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 07:19 am
@glitterbag,
But you know how he lies.
Talking about that dead man who said he's feeling a lot better , of course...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2016 08:01 am
well, we got between 32 and 34 inches depending on where the yardsticks were.
Theyre out on the township roads with front end loaders and PennDot has this bigass snow blower . We live on a "milk route" where the farmers MUST get their milk loads into tank trucks at loeast every 3 days. They only have a three day tankage . We will have road access by this PM and Its too deep for my tractor to handle so Ive got a bigger loader coming in the afternoon.

Ill drive a path into the paddock field so the sheep can get out nd walk through the snow in my tracks. The snow is so deep that qe cant even see the sheep in the wheel tracks.

Im glad I dont live in the "lake effect snow belt" on the Lee sides of the great lakes. We get a nice big snow maybe once or twice a year TOPS. Those guys in Buffalo and Rochester get this **** every weekend and it piles up an packs down so that people can enter their houses from the second floor windows. Thats insane.