The Blizzard Diaries

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 09:46 am
It started snowing at 10:30 am here in Charlottesville on the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge mountains.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 9,326 • Replies: 96

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 09:56 am
The snow didn't tease us by starting as flurries. Rather, it attacked us with a vengeance. The asphalt of the roads and driveways didn't even try to resist and surrendered without even any attempt to put up a fight.
George

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 09:56 am
I bet it looks pretty.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000F2p_7Ay4.oY/s/900/20100910-Stock2973.jpg
George

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 09:59 am
You got someone lined up to shovel you out?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 05:51 pm
@realjohnboy,
Interesting observations. It started snowing here about a half hour ago. Just like you, there was no "lead up" by way of flurries or sleet turned to rain. BAM, it just started as a wall of tiny flakes. I cant see the pole lights of my neighbors farm , hes about 1/3 mile away .
Wind's starting to make some noise nd all the sheep and the steers made a bee line for the barns.

Got a fire started in the fireplace, Im watching PAWN STARS, made some brats n onions for supper. Wifes doing the barn watch till 1AM.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 05:55 pm
@farmerman,
This happening just as I'm reading Orhan Pamuk's Snow. I'll recommend it, drawn in after I got used to it.
Be smart, you all, please.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 05:57 pm
Sitting in the Atlanta airport. Lots of unhappy people trying to rebook cancelled flights.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
Why do you have to watch the barn?
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 06:20 pm
@realjohnboy,
its lambing season and , although we have the barn wired for "intercom" sound, in the middle of lambing time, we can have 5 or six ewes deliver a night so youre always back and forth. We do turns doing a few hours watch each. I expect that, with the intense low pressure of the storm, qe will have maybe 6 ewes deliver, and most of them will be twin lambs
The lambing shed is a short "golf cart" ride away from the house .

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 06:30 pm
@farmerman,
[quote="farmerman
I expect that, with the intense low pressure of the storm, we will have maybe 6 ewes deliver, and most of them will be twin lambs.
[/quote]

Low pressure = more lamb births.
I didn't know that.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 07:30 pm
Happy birth day to ewes.

Sorry.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 07:45 pm
@George,
Happy Birthday to ewe two and three and four and five and six and maybe more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 08:05 pm
I am grateful to be near the Gulf, this time of year. We will get a freeze, for a few hours tomorrow, but the only precaution I needed to take was bringing in my wife's potted plant.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 09:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am also grateful to live in Silicon Valley for many reasons including easy access to San Francisco, the Pacific Ocean, and the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 09:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I love California more than the other states. But last time I tried to settle there, I could not get a decent job. With the building boom going on in Houston, this is where I landed.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://i63.tinypic.com/hs5nqs.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/317h2fq.jpg
Taken over an hour ago.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I can deal with the freaking snow, I just don't want to lose power. Please don't tell me to just hook up the generator, we don't have one, and not because I don't want one.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2016 11:41 pm
Hey, I just looked out the window, and it's snowing in the Big Apple. Doesn't look blizzardy--just snow.
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 02:49 am
Washington is closed. Everybody went home. The Dow 30 rose over 200 points. Coincidence?
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jan, 2016 06:47 am
@roger,
Its been fierce. We are in a bit of a lull as an induced "mini low" is sucking up warm air in the Chesapeake Bay and its formed a "dome" of very light snow . This will probably collapse by later this morning as the "eye" passes off to sea.
Weve got over a foot and a half now (weather news from Penn State).

Its traffic free as the road in front of our place is more of a "trench filled-in with a powdery snow).
Its drifting as well as snowing. Anybody caught outside now could be in mortal danger for their lives.

Bought a big new can of Hersheys syrup for hot chocolate.

Be well all.
0 Replies