Old threads, gold, silver, or rust?

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 04:31 pm
Some folks here I generally admire are quite irritated with newbies not noticing thread and posting timings. There was a complaint today about a new person answering a two month old thread.

Me, I think newbies from far and wide find the threads via google or similar for some key word, and am not irritated. Isn't that what keywords are for? to find something to read that has to do with your question?
We all differ, no big deal. I get arguing with me on this.

However, some of these have brought me back to frankly wondrous threads that I will gladly reread for the pleasure of it.

Is there some general community thought that one must pay attention here on a2k to the now and be reprimanded if not? I suppose now is good in a general way but to me some of the old threads are rich, and can be added to over time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 1,403 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 07:10 pm
@ossobuco,
This is slightly hard for me to believe, that none of us care about past circumstances.
Is the the past boring?

I've been reading some amazing books about times in
germany and france.
Are our times worth recording?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't see the big deal with posting on old threads, though I admit I feel badly for people hoping to get responses from posters who haven't posted in years.

No irritation from me about the newbies posting on old threads. I'm more likely to be irritated by the oldtimers who fuss about it - it's hard to resist saying something snarky to them. I'm not always successful.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 07:36 pm
@ehBeth,
I've seen oldie threads spark again and don't get the hostility.
Agree re the lone venturer just meeting sand.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 07:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm hardly a newbie, but I've posted on old threads when they pop up. I don't always notice the date, and I'm even worse noticing the thumbs up/down.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 07:46 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah, but you are you, I never not read, whether or not we agree on any given day.
<chukles>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 08:03 pm
I see myself as pissy on this, in disagreement with posters I am all for as people and generally re opinions, that people should only react to new threads.
The slapping of newbies has been annoying me.

I do get letting them know that the last person may not be around to respond.
Just not the tone.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 08:04 pm
Some of it is happening because the dates are in a rather small font and are hard to see on most phones.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 11:20 am
@ossobuco,
I will sometimes point out that the original question is quite old -- in part so they realize they may not get any further input on it --- and sometimes I can make fun of them in the process as well.

I, myself, will be guilty of answering a very old thread. Usually as a result of someone new answering it so it shows up as a new post so I continue with the idiocy -- and then someone in turn will make fun of me. All good.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 05:44 pm
Personally, i don't never make that mistake . . .

. . . i am also never rude to anyone, and i never, ever lie!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Dec, 2015 05:57 pm
@Setanta,
Me either, laughing.

In the meantime though, some old threads are treasures, for at least part of the time.
We should probably make a list.

Not me tonight, as I still haven't put together my burritos. or the ingredients may shrivel.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 03:23 pm
@ossobuco,
Some old threads are obsolete. Few may care about a 2010 college football game. But others contain rich insights. I enjoy an occasional sojourn.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 03:29 pm
@neologist,
Linkat started a thread to make a list, and people have been bringing some excellent favorites:

List Your favorite old thread with link if possible
http://able2know.org/topic/306059-1

Almost better than good books..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 04:44 pm
If a thread interests me, I don't care when it was started.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2015 05:32 pm
If I started a thread ten years ago and there have been many, many posts, I get irritated when a newbie comes along, reads page 1, and posts a response. The response may be well intended, but it's usually irrelevant.

I'm not suggesting that someone has to read fifty or more pages of posts, but how about reading a few of the more recent pages.
0 Replies