Who's familiar with the conversion? - "In 15 years' ship-time they could reach Andromeda

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:14 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Quote:

Considering the Hafele–Keating experiment in a frame of reference at rest with respect to the center of the earth, a clock aboard the plane moving eastward, in the direction of the Earth's rotation, had a greater velocity (resulting in a relative time loss) than one that remained on the ground, while a clock aboard the plane moving westward, against the Earth's rotation, had a lower velocity than one on the ground.

That is NOT what SR predicts. It does not predict that motion in two different directions will produce difference clock rates in vehicles going away from the starting point at the same speed.

You are wrong Layman. You are now just making stuff up. You clearly don't understand the mathematics of SR. Part of your misunderstanding is that the Earth Frame is a non-inertial frame (it orbits and rotates) and that these are part of the calculations. But I don't think that matters... you have no understanding of how SR works and as you have said repeatedly you don't want to learn it.

SR (as taught in a college physics course) made a prediction. The experiment showed the results as predicted by SR. Further studies did the same with more accuracy.

layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:23 pm
@layman,
What "does" SR predict in cases like this? Well, nothing comprehensible. It basically predicts that all of the 3 clocks (the one moving east, the one moving west, and the one staying on the ground) will ALL be slower than the other two.

Each clock would make it's own "prediction" about the other two clocks and that prediction would NECESSARILY (by the dictates of SR) CONFLICT with the predictions made by the other two clocks.

Sound like "reality" (as you so quaintly put it) to you, Max?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are wrong Layman.

Do three things, Max, OK?

1. Learn to read, then
2. Learn some physics, then
3. Come back.

All you've done in this thread is make one unsupported flat assertion after another. You understand nothing, so naturally you can't explain what you assert.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:32 pm
@layman,
That's funny, Layman.

You define 'Physics" as the stuff that you think makes sense to you from reading random pages on the Internet after you quit studying math because you couldn't accept basic geometry. If that is how you define "physics" then you win.

I will hold to my belief that the Physics I learned in years reading, solving problems and doing laboratory work in a University earning a Physics degree is the real Physics.

But that's just my opinion (well, the people designing aircraft, building GPS systems and landing robots on Mars agree with me).
layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:42 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You define 'Physics" as the stuff that you think makes sense to you from reading random pages on the Internet...

Heh, Max. You cited the wiki page "randomly" (in the sense you neither read nor understood what the page said). You understood the words in the erroneous conclusion you selectively quoted, but you didn't (and don't) understand the content.

You don't understand the concepts at all.

I notice that you never, including now, have a word of substance to direct toward any of my posts. Just claims that I'm wrong.

Why not address the content of my posts?

Why just give your unqualified, unexplained conclusion, unadorned by reason, facts, evidence or logic?

Care to challenge the SUBSTANCE of any of the scientific articles I've posted on this subject or the EXPLANATIONS I give for the claims I make?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:56 pm
@layman,
Sure,

Several times I have provided the links to the mathematics. I have patiently tried to explain to you the concepts. I have even worked with your own examples (i.e. the dragster) and answered your questions about the CBR frame.

You are making fallacious claims about what you think SR means without being willing to work through the mathematics. It is one thing for you to say you don't accept that Physics or SR... it is another thing to invent your own version of SR since you don't understand the mathematics behind the real SR.

I could send you a another link that explains the twin paradox according to SR and would answer your questions. Would that help?
layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:59 pm
@maxdancona,

Quote:
I could send you a another link that explains the twin paradox according to SR

Just address the post, Max. Let's just take one claim I made regarding the twin paradox:

Is it true, as I said, that every physicist will tell you that ONLY ONE of the two clocks is "really" running slower than the other?

Yes, or no?
layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
SR (as taught in a college physics course) made a prediction. The experiment showed the results as predicted by SR. Further studies did the same with more accuracy.

And, as you finally conceded after your initial vehement denials, LR makes the exact same prediction. Has LR been proven now?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:13 pm
@layman,
No.

(And now that I have answered your question, I will try to explain to you why you are misunderstanding the physics).

Both clocks start out in the Earth frame of reference. This is an non-inertial frame and is rotating about it's axis. From any inertial frame, the Clock attached to the Earth will show an acceleration toward the center of the earth and an acceleration toward the sun.

The airplane going east is traveling along with the clock on the earth, it's speed an acceleration wrt the earth clock is less than the airplane going West. (notice I am using the "wrt" term you used in an attempt to help you understand).

This experiment ends up being measured in the Earth's frame of reference (which is as valid as any). The easiest way to understand this experiment is to do all the calculations wrt the Earth.

You can do the calculations from other frames of reference. If you had a clock that was fixed to be motionless in the CBR frame, you would get a different answer.

How do you consider this problem Layman? Do you consider the Earth to be motionless? Or do you think that we should consider this as if the clock were fixed to the CBR frame?

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:15 pm
@layman,
Quote:
And, as you finally conceded after your initial vehement denials, LR makes the exact same prediction. Has LR been proven now?

How is LR different than SR?

I think you are suggesting that there is one true "correct" frame of reference. The way you define a frame of reference is by telling me what it means to be "motionless".

So tell me (I have asked this a couple of times now). What exactly do you consider to be motionless? Is it the Earth? Is it the CBR frame? Is it something else?

You seem to be claiming that the Earth doesn't move. I don't think that is what you mean.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
No. And now that I have answered your question..

What question is that supposed to be answering?

Quote:
This experiment ends up being measured in the Earth's frame of reference (which is as valid as any).

Wrong on two counts:

1. The clock on the earth's surface is NOT used. No clock in that frame (or in the planes' frame(s), for that matter) is used. Why not? Because it does NOT accurately predict the ACTUAL time differences found by the experiment, that's why. A (non-rotating) ECI (earth-centered inertial) frame is used, not "the earth's, to make the correct prediction.

2. For the reasons just stated NONE of the 3 clocks frame "is as valid as any." Only ONE (preferred) frame allows you to make the CORRECT predictions, i.e., the ECI frame which Hafele and Keating actually used.

I have to leave for the afternoon. Read the post below, and the two following it. Those explain (in summary form) what's happening and why as between SR and LR. See if you can understand it. I'll be back later.

http://able2know.org/topic/301703-18#post-6075848
layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:30 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
How is LR different than SR?

I referred you to an explanation in my prior post.

More technically, the difference is in different fundamental postulates, the application of which dictate different method of determining simultaneity.

LR posits absolute simultaneity.

SR posits relative simultaneity.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:33 pm
@layman,
You are just making stuff up. There was an actual clock that was attached to the surface of the earth that was used in the experiment.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 01:37 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are just making stuff up. There was an actual clock that was attached to the surface of the earth that was used in the experiment.

Of course, I've already said that. It was one of THREE clocks "used" in terms of getting different readings.

But that frame was NOT used to get the correct answer. It gave the WRONG answer.

From wiki:

Quote:
Considering the Hafele–Keating experiment in a frame of reference at rest with respect to the center of the earth, a clock aboard the plane moving eastward, in the direction of the Earth's rotation, had a greater velocity (resulting in a relative time loss) than one that remained on the ground, while a clock aboard the plane moving westward, against the Earth's rotation, had a lower velocity than one on the ground.

The CENTER of the earth is NOT the surface of the earth. The ECI frame was used. That, by the way, is the same frame used for the purpose of synchronizing clocks and getting the CORRECT readings for purposes of the GPS.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 02:47 pm
@layman,
Back for a second, Max. For your convenience I will repost 2 of the 3 I referred you to. The one preceding this summarizes a paper published in Applied Physics Research in 2013, and elaborates on the EXPERIMENTAL facts:

Quote:
The Lorentz transforms (LT) say that a moving clock will run slower than a stationary one. Both special relativity (SR) and Lorentzian relativity (LR) use the LT. So what's the difference?

Well, start with two "observers" who are moving with respect to each other, call them A and B.

In SR, A will say that he is stationary, so B is the one moving, so therefore B's clock is running slow. At the same time...

B will say that he is stationary, so A is the one moving, so therefore A's clock is running slow.

Then SR says they are both right. Each clock "really does" run slower than the other. See if you can figure that one out, eh?

LR will say that, as between the two, there can be only one "moving" clock. This could simply mean that one is moving "faster" than the other, because the faster you go, the more time slows down for you. Neither A nor B has to be seen as "absolutely motionless" as in SR. They could both be moving.

In LR, if it is A that is moving faster, then A's clock is slower than B's and, needless to say, B's clock is running FASTER than A's (not slower).

Which one makes more sense, I ask ya?

With respect to the original assertions being made, LR would say it's impossible to go 14 billion light years in just 23 years WITHOUT exceeding the speed of light.

SR? Sure, you can do that, in "theory" at least. How (why) is that possible? Well, because in SR you can never go the speed of light in YOUR frame of reference. Nor can you go 1 mile an hour for that matter. In SR your speed is always ZERO, no matter how much you may have accelerated.

Do you understand that basic difference at all, Max?

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:29 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Do you understand that basic difference at all, Max?

What you are saying is in this case only one is truly stationary.

Am I correct?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:33 pm
@layman,
Quote:
This could simply mean that one is moving "faster" than the other, because the faster you go, the more time slows down for you.

This doesn't make any sense. What does "time slows down for you" mean? I mean would you measure a second passing by at less than a second?

Please tell me how you would measure time "slowing down for you"?

I am moving (since the Earth is moving at a million or so miles an hour in the CBR frame)... and yet a second still passes by every second.

layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
What you are saying is in this case only one is truly stationary.

Am I correct?

No, you are incorrect. That's not what I said, not with respect to LR, anyway. I even PUT IT IN BOLD in a failed attempt to call your attention to what I was saying. Lotta good that did, eh?

In SR (but NOT LR) each one claims he is ABSOLUTELY motionless. He is "the ether."

But LR does NOT say that. It says the (faster) moving clock slows down. BOTH clocks could be in motion. NEITHER has to be motionless. Either way, it is the one which is moving faster that you can abbreviate as the "moving" clock.

Get it?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:52 pm
@layman,
No, you haven't answered the basic question.

In your view of Physics, what is motionless? If there is an object that is motionless, how is it moving wrt the Earth?

Answer the question please.
layman

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 03:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This doesn't make any sense. What does "time slows down for you" mean?

Time dilation is precisely what your treasured (even if you misunderstand it) formula (the LT, which you posted in it's entirety) measures. There's a "mathematical" answer for you. It means IF you are moving then your clock will slow down and record less time elapsed than IF you weren't moving. Likewise, it means that if you speed up, then your clock will now be running slower than it was BEFORE you sped up. That is the LT.

I already discussed this, at some length, in various prior posts. For example:

Quote:
I head down to Cape Canaveral to watch a rocket get blasted into space. I see the ignition and the ship starts heading toward the moon.

Or does it? SR would say no, it doesn't, from it's "frame of reference." What evidently happens is that, when ignited, the fuel in the spaceship pushed the earth away from it, while it remains motionless. At that same instant, the moon starts moving toward the spaceship.

Wanna believe that? Help yourself.

I do think you have conceded that my act of "positing" that a spaceship is motionless does not make it STOP as a matter of physical reality.

Of course, according to the astronaut on the rocked, at that same time, the clocks slowed down on the earth and on the moon. And here I always thought that astronauts had at least a modicum of intelligence. Go figure.

Being the dumbass that I am, if I was that astronaut. I would stupidly say: "Hey, I'm moving. That means MY clock has slowed down, not those on earth." Einstein would certainly not recruit me to use the Lorentz transformations "properly," eh?

http://able2know.org/topic/301703-19#post-6076648

Quote:
Suppose I'm that astronaut and I stupidly think that because I'm the one moving, MY clock has slowed down. Now I start to wonder how much my clock has slowed down. How could I know that?

Easy: Use the Lorentz transforms to calculate it.

Do you even begin to see the point, Max? You have totally missed it for years now, so I expect the answer is "no."

It not the math formula that's in question here. That is exactly the same in either SR or LR. It's how it's APPLIED that is in question.

The LT ONLY tells you that it is the MOVING clock which slows down. Being nothing more than a stupid math formula it doesn't, and can't, tell you which one is moving. You have to figure that out for yourself. Once you figure that out, the LT will tell you the degree to which the moving clock has slowed down. That's ALL it does.

The LT doesn't MAKE anything move faster or slower. It doesn't have that power. It is not a "force." It's a stupid-ass math formula, that's all.

Needless to say, a "frame of reference" is not a force either. A frame of reference does not, and can not, MAKE anything move faster or slower. Defining a "frame of reference" as "that which determines the motion of an external object" is a serious error. But that's what has been done when one says:

"It is possible to traverse 14 billion light years in just 23 years WITHOUT ever exceeding the speed of light."

I aint buying what you're trying to sell, sorry.

http://able2know.org/topic/301703-19#post-6076917

Have you read, and/or made any attempt to understand, anything I've said in prior posts, Max?