Deja Vu???

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 08:23 pm
I was curios to know if anybody has any specific thoughts on Deja Vu and also if they know of any testing that has been done on the subject. I know it's a phenomena that wev'e all experienced numerous times but yet there is so little known about it. Why is this? Because most humans cannot control it at this point in our evolution.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,794 • Replies: 48
No top replies

annifa

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:10 pm
Its a glitch in the matrix, just ask keanu.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:38 pm
I feel like you've asked this before...

Here's an interesting link and info:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/question657.htm

"As much as 70 percent of the population reports having experienced some form of déjà vu. A higher number of incidents occurs in people 15 to 25 years old than in any other age group.
Déjà vu has been firmly associated with temporal-lobe epilepsy. Reportedly, déjà vu can occur just prior to a temporal-lobe epileptic attack. People suffering an epileptic seizure of this kind can experience déjà vu during the actual seizure activity or in the moments between convulsions.
Since déjà vu occurs in individuals with and without a medical condition, there is much speculation as to how and why this phenomenon happens. Several psychoanalysts attribute déjà vu to simple fantasy or wish fulfillment, while some psychiatrists ascribe it to a mismatching in the brain that causes the brain to mistake the present for the past. Many parapsychologists believe it is related to a past-life experience. Obviously, there is more investigation to be done. "
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:28 pm
Here's a kind of deja vu that I sometimes have. It appears to have some neurological basis. Have any of you experienced it? When meeting and talking to someone (usually women, don't ask why), I suddenly get the impression that I've talked to or seen them before. Out of curiosity I always ask if they've seen me before. They always say no, and some of them have never been to my parts of the world. When I first saw them they looked unfamiliar, but after a very short period of time they look familiar. It's as if the short period of time is stretched out in my mind to a long period of time. Thus the few minutes earlier, when I met them, seems like a distant past. Make sense?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:35 pm
I think i may have posted my theory on the cycle of the world before, but it really has many holes and I just don't have any evidence to back it up. But I think that maybe, an exact world was present LOTS of years back and it wiped itself out, as humans are likely to do, and it will start all over again, and the exact same world will result, a clone if you will. So, maybe there is a link to this and maybe it happened in the far past.
0 Replies

silver nekode

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:30 am
i have noticed a strange occurence when i personally experience deja vu. i have noticed that things seems familiar in great detail, even bordering on presque vu; i feel like i have not only been there before, but i know what is about to happen, however, it is always something controlled by me; or i dont know exactly what will happen, just that something will happen, and then when it happens i almost seem to remember that i knew that was what would happen. sorry, its really hard to explain the feeling. the thing is, i obviously know that i dont know whats about to happen, so im am wondering, is this some kind of a delusion, an hallucination, or is it simply my brain compensating for feeling something i shouldn't be. should i be concerned that i feel these things in my mind that are so impossibly far fetched, or simply write it off as another phenomenon of the human mind?
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 04:25 am
Bookmarking - interesting topic.

KP
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 06:52 am
Thats the exact same feeling I get.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:11 am
Sometimes I get inaccurate deja vu. I'll remember I did something before in a dream, but it wasn't quite the same. Jubal said "I like going swimming in the summer" instead of "I like going to the pool when it's hot."

Or Vera will smile and blush instead of giggle.

Or I'll end up going to a different restaurant and having the same conversation.

Or it will be in the evening instead of the morning.

Or Sully will be wearing the wrong shirt.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 04:31 pm
One possible explanation of this is if you see something out of the corner of your eye, but are not focussing on it because you are concentrating on something else. When you then look at it, you've already seen it unconsciously so it feels like you've seen it before (and you kind of have.)
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 04:36 pm
that's odd, i could have sworn that i posted this comment on this thread, before! Shocked

[unfortunately, biology is not as reliable as silicon, and frequently messages in the nervous system get incorrectly routed, or 'tagged', resulting in inexplicable mental lapses, hot items feeling cold, etc., etc.]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 08:30 pm
Very interesting and plausible conjecture, Thalion.
Silver...I personally choose to write off such experiences as interesting and natural but, at present, inexplicable. Or at least insufficiently understood.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 09:13 pm
Actually about an hour ago i had Deja Vu. It was about the thought of telling my father about my recent fascination of country western movies, while hearing and reading a commercial in front of me. I knew exactly what would happen but had never seen the commercial before. It was this unique knowing that convinces me it wasn't a vague memory of something that happened before but was similar to what happened before. This is because I thought of that right after it happened, because I'd read these posts before, and I confirmed it is not a vague recollection.
0 Replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 11:14 pm
I have deja vu quite differently. When I experience it I flash back to a dream I've had, and I know exactly when I've had it. For eg: When I feel deja vu I instantly think back to when I was four, eight, ten, and having the dream at that time. Don't ask me how or why it happens, I think it's more than a scientific explination. I think the human mind has an enormous capacity of potential and in that potential lies millions of secrets. One of them deja vu, an unrecognized, unremembered glimps into the future.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:37 pm
Well, I wouldn't go THAT far.
But that's no proof it isn't so.
0 Replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 10:33 pm
You don't believe it could happen? I think there's a lot more to reality than materialistic things, and things that need to be proved.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:40 pm
Scarlettmarsden, I just balked at the claim to be able to "see" (glimpse) the future, since, as far as I can tell, it doesn't even exist yet. That does not mean that I believe that only "materialistic" reality (whatever that means) exists. The world is more complicated than that. I might even be SLIGHTLY open to the possibility that the past and the future exist in a timeless eternity and that under the most exotic circumstances one can tap into both. But I seriously doubt it. Or at least I see no reason not to doubt it.
0 Replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:00 pm
Well, you don't know you've seen them until it happens. That's what I was trying to explain before, at the sense of Deja Vu its a recollection of having been there, or seen it before. Of course the world is more complicated than materialistic things. Thats what I was pointing out. But to see the future, as it hasn't happened yet, I expect is entirely possible. It is of one future that is possible, and if we make a choice we smother that possibility and change it to another future. But I still think it is possible- as anything is possible- to have dreamt of that moment. Do people not have premonitions? Dreams that tap into the world unknown?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:03 pm
Provocative questions, but not reasons to believe.
I once characterized somewhere on Able2Know our cultural model of time by way of a kind of "visual aid" conception. Picture, if you will, a river with a boat traveling upstream to the future. The boat represents the present and behind it, downstream, is the past. We tend to imagine time in this linear sense--like a river. And because we do, we are able to enjoy, to find sensible, fantasies of time travel. A person can, in this linear conception, leave the boat and run faster than the boat is traveling upstream into the future, or go back downstream to the past. Because upstream and downstream exist objectively, apart from the present, they are felt to be accessible, in the case of future/upstream AHEAD of their time.
Now compare this linear model to an image of a pond. It has no downstream (past) or upstream (future), but its surface is characterized by constant change. This change is always in the present. People who think of time in a manner similar to this non-linear model are less likely to make sense of a time travel movie or story.
I recognize that this simpistic conception of time ignores new possibilities suggested by contemporary physics.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 09:12 am
Scarlettmarsden wrote:
I have deja vu quite differently. When I experience it I flash back to a dream I've had, and I know exactly when I've had it. For eg: When I feel deja vu I instantly think back to when I was four, eight, ten, and having the dream at that time. Don't ask me how or why it happens, I think it's more than a scientific explination. I think the human mind has an enormous capacity of potential and in that potential lies millions of secrets. One of them deja vu, an unrecognized, unremembered glimps into the future.

This is an excellent example; deja vu is a transitory, or permanent connection failure in the brain allowing missassignment of a stimulus to the wrong brain centre for processing; the parallel dream inclusion, would indicate that in this case there is a permanent circuitry fault (hopefully not harmful!) that is triggered by the same process, frequently, and reliably.
0 Replies