Help in identifying painter

Mbshafeena

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 10:48 am
@izzythepush,
Could this be a possible depiction of the Good Samaritan woman?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 12:47 pm
@Mbshafeena,
It could. I'm no expert. The real problem with the art world is that they jealously hide auction prices and named artists. If you want to find out anything useful it costs. There are websites that charge you access to this information but they usually cost thousands to join. (not kidding)

I've got a painting by a known artist, (not as old as yours though) all I can find is one of her paintings that sold which is nothing like mine. I think it's worth a fair bit, but not as much as joining the club.

Good luck.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 01:26 pm
Looking at it more it occurs to me that the frame looks all wrong and maybe that might be because the original frame might have been replaced as too dark or severe if the painting came from a decommissioned church or rectory.
Mbshafeena

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:05 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You are absolutely correct about the frame. This is not the original frame and I was too young back then to remember what it looked like when it was at my grandfather's and displayed at his home before he passed and gave to my father. This frame, I believe, is something from my parents. My mother has Alzheimer's so I don't think she would be able to give me an answer or remember and my Dad just recently passed. I have sent a message to my aunt, one of my Dad's sister's who is still living, if she can tell me about it. I have a box of pictures I am going through to see if the painting is visible in any of the pics taken at my grandfather's house before he passed. My dad's mom passed at a fairly early age, 55, so it really limits me to see if I can find out more. The stumpler in all of this is one of the tags at the back that has Charles Roberson and the address in England. I searched and found that many well known artists of the day and bought painting supplies from his business. They were known for their paints, etc. now apparently the books they kept for sales survived so that would be one avenue for me to continue searching.
Mbshafeena

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:12 pm
@Mbshafeena,
http://www.npg.org.uk/research/programmes/directory-of-suppliers/r.php

This site talks extensively about Charles Roberson and this my only real lead to this painting. I know for sure the canvass used came from his business as the name appears as well as the address listed. I reside in Canada and Roberson was in England.
Mbshafeena

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2015 06:35 pm
@Mbshafeena,
http://www.tate.org.uk/learn/online-resources/ophelia/conservation-ophelia/back-painting

The tag that appears on the painting mentioned in the link, the one for Charles Roberson & Co is what we have behind our painting. There is also another tag, it looked like a moving tag, that need to look at and get the information from and see if that helps solve this mystery. Anyways, if nothing else, they say the fun is in the hunt. :-)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 12:12 am
@Mbshafeena,
Its a long shot without a name and date, but if you could find a photo with a "brownwood" frame it would support my thought it was originally a church/parochial classroom hung painting.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:16 am
@Mbshafeena,
It's still going. It was started in 1810, so your painting won't be older than that.

Good luck.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 02:25 am
Just googled famous 19th Century Welsh Women images. The leek screams out Welsh. I found a picture of Elizabeth Fry as a middle aged woman, when I clicked on it this came up as related images.

http://07465c38cbfca457379e-d0f848c2bdc18515f00a82ee9e5204a6.r6.cf3.rackcdn.com/1291_medium.jpg

More than a passing resemblance wouldn't you say?

This is a link to the auction house that sold the painting. It's quite a long list and the painting isn't on the first two pages, so it will take a bit of time scrolling down. I'll let you do that.
http://www.bamfords-auctions.co.uk/buying/auctions/ThreeDay-Antiques-and-Fine-Art-Sale--March-2010/page-26/<br />
Mbshafeena

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 07:47 pm
@izzythepush,
I was back at the condo today and took pics of the back of the painting. As mentioned it had the tag " prepared by Charles Roberson" but the address listed is 99 Long Acre, London which was their address after 1867. The other tag says "Streets ( Removers) Ltd, 11 Gloucester Place, Brighton, England". I found out there was a gentleman by the name of John Allfree who resided at that address at one point and he was a headmaster at a school in Brighton. At some point the Streets Ltd took over that address and it had to be before 1932 because apparently these buildings from 11-14 were destroyed to make room for the Aster theatre. So I guess this painting is going to remain a mystery. On my reading and searching I did find an interesting story about a woman who became infamous and who resided on that street at one point and was known as The Chocolate Cream Poisoner". It is interesting that someone thought that perhaps the woman depicted was perhaps the saint known as the one to protect from being poisoned.

http://postimg.org/gallery/szvf40zy/
Mbshafeena

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2015 07:59 pm
@Mbshafeena,
Here is the story about The Chocolate Poisoner

http://www.oldpolicecellsmuseum.org.uk/page_id__502_path__0p303p310p.aspx
Mbshafeena

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 12:19 pm
@Mbshafeena,
Sorry my above post should have said Astoria Theatre and not Aster. The theatre was constructed in place of 10 to 14 Gloucester Place addresses. I wanted to say thank you to all who tried to shed some light on this painting for me. It had been interesting and educating.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2015 02:52 pm
@Mbshafeena,
You're welcome. It's an interesting painting and you're a nice poster.
0 Replies