At what age would you leave a children together (without an adult) at a public pool?

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:56 am
To me no real right or wrong answer - more at what age do you feel comfortable leaving your child with a buddy at a public pool without a known adult.

The pool has life guards, but knowing that life guards even good ones cannot possibly see each child at once. To be honest I am not 100% sure what the policy is at this facility. I asked once, but the person at the desk was not sure herself and gave me a guess.

But I did leave them yesterday - it was so hot and I was working from home --- only about a mile away.

When I was a kid, my friend and I used to walk a little less than a mile to the public together and swim. Do not remember how old we were for sure but had to be some where around 12.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,330 • Replies: 8
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:00 am
@Linkat,
It depends on the kids, of course... and the location of the pool.

I would think that somewhere between the ages of 10 and 12 would be fine.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:21 am
The sign at the pool probably says "All children must be accompanied by adults", right?

The lifeguard is not a babysitter, so don't expect anything from him/her besides making sure your kid is not drowning.

Because . . . there's a whole lot other things happening at the pool.

It depends on the child, but I'd say 12. And that's if the boys are not ruffians.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:33 am
@PUNKEY,
.... so it's OK if the girls are "ruffians"?

You don't think very highly of Linkat's kids. I am sure they have been brought up well and would behave very maturely like they always would. I know I can trust my kids because they act respectfully toward people and things, just as I have taught them.

My 10 year old takes off on her own in the mall. She also walks to the library on her own, almost a mile away. There has never been a problem.
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:35 am
@PUNKEY,
No boys my kids are generally well behaved .... in my daughter's words...."Don't worry mommy I am only naughty with you or grammy." I have never had a teacher say they did behave appropriately in school. They are smart enough to know when they can fool around and when they need to listen to rules.

There wasn't a sign like I have seen at say hotel pools, it isn't a true public pool as in a community pool, but a Y outdoor center with 3 pools where you are supposed to be a member or a guest of a member. 2 girls were 12 and the other two were 16 and 14. With the 16 in charge. I gave specific instructions if the younger ones fooled around I was to be called and I'd come get them.

I just have seen some notices like at hotels that say you have to be a certain age or above or with an adult over 18. But these typically do not a life guard.

They do have an overall gym rule where if you are under 13 you are supposed to be within the Y (not necessarily right where your kid is). My daughter is also just a month shy of 13. And all are very good swimmers - just know personally it doesn't matter how good you are if you slip or something like that. And no one is right there to see it. My uncle did and he swam all the time, almost drown, but his adult son showed up, unfortunately he ended up paralyzed.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:36 am
@Linkat,
12 was the age I thought of what I saw your post. I could be convinced on younger depending on the child, but 12 should work in most cases.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:37 am
@maxdancona,
You are right I have seen girls just as bad as boys, but to be honest, generally boys tend to be a little less mature and a bit more crazy (as my daughter categorizes boys - either the crazy ones or the nice ones - most fall in the crazy category). But she has told me there are some girls who are trouble.

And I appreciate your vote of confidence on my little monsters.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:41 am
@Linkat,
I spent a few years as a teacher. There is nothing more disruptive or disrespectful than a preteen girl. At that age, the boys are jokers... but they fall into line as soon as you set limits. Girls need to push the limits, and in large groups this is nearly impossible to manage.

If you have a 12 year old daughter, you might be starting to notice this. But then again, it is true that every kid is different.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 06:46 am
@Linkat,
Thinking of "Minority Report" 30 maybe 35. Smile
0 Replies