Gun Laws in the USA

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 02:40 am
Another day, another slaying in the US.
Why do Americans cling to their guns like a drowning man to a straw?
Is it because they fancy themselves as Randolph Scott, or Calamity Jane?
Or because they think every other American is Al Capone?

Surely they can see the damage they cause.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 16 • Views: 4,704 • Replies: 63

oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 05:43 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Why do Americans cling to their guns like a drowning man to a straw?

We intend to retain our freedom. Period.

I could ask why non-Americans so eagerly reject freedom. It seems appalling to me. But in the end, I have to accept that people outside America choose to reject freedom.

I suggest that people outside America also accept that Americans choose to remain free.

McTag wrote:
Surely they can see the damage they cause.

No damage is perceived.

But if there were such damage, it would make no difference.

Freedom until death!
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 06:13 am
@McTag,
proliferation of the image in western movies/TV programs, and glorification of the me-first philosophy...RAMBO!
McTag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 07:03 am
@Ragman,

A high proportion of mass-market films seem to portray the hero shooting at things.
McTag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 07:04 am
@oralloy,

Quote:
No damage is perceived.

None so blind as he who will not see.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 07:34 am
@McTag,
No.. the shooting was at PEOPLE - not things.

Remember Rifleman TV show? How about Rambo, Apocalypse Now.
McTag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 08:04 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
No.. the shooting was at PEOPLE - not things.

Give me a break. I think we're both on the same page here.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 08:27 am
@Ragman,
What about the A Team? Lots of shooting but nobody ever gets hit.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:42 am
@McTag,
Do the maths. Three-hundred and twenty million people in the land mass of around three Europes. Considering the country was born in violence it might be comparable to the early middle ages for European countries, based on the U.S.'s age? Meaning, one didn't safely leave one's European village in those days.

The U.S. is doing quite well, especially since we are not a homogeneous population that most European countries had until recently.

Plus, shouldn't the U.S. get an "A+" for the peaceable way Catholics and Protestants live? At least give credit where credit is due.

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:50 am
@Foofie,
with our access to guns , would a Hitler last longer than didWilliam Henry Harrison?
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:50 am
@Ragman,
I guess it is another example of my cheese whiz taste, but I like Rambo. It wasn't like he wasn't provoked. All he was doing was walking down the road and wanted something to eat, then he was arrested and abused in the jail. Kinda like today's black man.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 03:26 pm
@Foofie,

Foofie makes jokes. Perhaps it is amusing to some, in a gated compound with the doors locked.
NSFW (view)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 05:12 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Are you saying that Terry Fuckwit's a virgin?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 07:42 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Foofie makes jokes. Perhaps it is amusing to some, in a gated compound with the doors locked.

Youse guys seem to analyze (note the spelling with a "z") the U.S., based on your own country/culture/mindset. The U.S., and its citizens, are different than your country and its citizens. I'm not saying we are correct/right, whatever; however, youse guys might need to realize your nose should be stuck into the affairs of perhaps your Commonwealth countries, and leave us out of your concerns. There are enough Episcopaleans here, so we'll always come to your rescue, in my opinion. Just stop with the criticism; its our country, and we need to fix it, not you over there. Like we do not criticize your Royals. That's your schtick. In my opinion youse guys need to stop acting so self-rightous; how do you expect us to be a non-violent nation? In economic terms the U.S. might have gone beyond the size of economies of scale? No one is saying violence is good, but your criticism is not constructive, since I believe it feeds the illusion that Brits still have an Empire with no setting sun.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2015 10:43 pm
@McTag,
They think of them selves as John Wayne. You know, the actor that most Americans believe single handedly tamed the west.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
saab

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 01:45 am
I have a feeling that a few decades ago Americans were not such gunlovers as now.
Yes many did have guns, but it did not seem to be a necesseity to carry guns and play wesstern sheriff or have a collection at home.
Around 1980 1990 I have a feeling things really developed as a masshysteria
that one should carry a gun and have guns at home.
It is clear from shootings and accidents most of all the gunlovers do not know how to handle a gun.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:02 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
I have a feeling that a few decades ago Americans were not such gunlovers as now.

Your feeling is mistaken. Americans have always valued freedom.

saab wrote:
Yes many did have guns, but it did not seem to be a necesseity to carry guns and play wesstern sheriff or have a collection at home.

You are approaching this from the viewpoint of a European serf, as opposed to the viewpoint of a free American.

The term "necessity" may well apply to you, if you are only allowed to have guns if your government feels like letting you have them.

However, the term "necessity" has no place when it comes to free Americans. If an American chooses to carry a gun in public, that is their right. Whether anyone thinks it is a "necessity" or not couldn't be less relevant.

Also, that "play western sheriff" thing is nonsensical gibberish. Whatever it is even supposed to mean, no one is doing it.

saab wrote:
Around 1980 1990 I have a feeling things really developed as a masshysteria
that one should carry a gun and have guns at home.

No. The mass hysteria is on the part of Freedom Haters, who cannot stand the idea that Americans choose to remain free.

saab wrote:
It is clear from shootings and accidents most of all the gunlovers do not know how to handle a gun.

Nonsense. Speak for yourself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:04 am
@saab,
You'd be completely wrong about that--you are completely wrong about that. The Supreme Court found that the Federal government had only a limited right to restrict firearms, but that the second amendment constrained only the Federal government and Congress, not the several states, in Presser versus Illinois, 1886. The Court, however, defended the National Firearms Act (1934), saying, in effect, that the provisions of Article One, Section Eight gave Congress the right to determine what types of firearms were destined for the militia in The United States versus Miller, 1939. Foreigners who have not carefully studied these matters really ought not to vaguely speculate in such a manner.