Gun Laws in the USA

saab

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:22 am
@Setanta,
I am talking about my personal impression of Americans in general and not about some Firearms Act or laws.
I am terrible sorry that I am as a foreigner took the freedom to say something about a country I have spent a lot of time in and the impression I have gotten over the years.
I still maintain that my personal impression is there were less talk about guns 40 years ago than today.
I still wonder why.
#Guess I have to continue to wonder about that as I as a non American are not allowed to express my impression according to - am I right a Canadian.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:35 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
I still maintain that my personal impression is there were less talk about guns 40 years ago than today.

There was less talk about it back then because people were not trying to abolish American freedom back then.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:37 am
@saab,
God you're a snotty bitch. You make some wild claim about Americans and their attitudes toward guns, and when you called on it, you get all pissy.

Let's put it in clearer terms. You don't know what the hell you're talking about, and you opinion doesn't mean sh*t, because you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

No one is curtailing your freedom of expression by telling you that you are ignorant.
McTag

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:52 am
@Setanta,

Quote:
you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

President Obama was interviewed by the BBC this week, prior to his Africa trip.
He should be well informed on this.
He said Americans killed by terrorists since 9/11 number around 100. Those killed by other Americans with handguns, in the tens or thousands.
You don't have to argue endlessly about the Second Amendment, you only have to look around you and use your common sense.
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:56 am
@McTag,
Your remarks are completely irrelevant to a claim that Americans have only gotten obsessed with guns since 1990, which was Saab's claim.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:58 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
I have a feeling that a few decades ago Americans were not such gunlovers as now.
Yes many did have guns, but it did not seem to be a necesseity to carry guns and play wesstern sheriff or have a collection at home.
Around 1980 1990 I have a feeling things really developed as a masshysteria
that one should carry a gun and have guns at home.
It is clear from shootings and accidents most of all the gunlovers do not know how to handle a gun.

This was her claim, and it's bullsh*t.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:15 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
President Obama was interviewed by the BBC this week, prior to his Africa trip.
He should be well informed on this.
He said Americans killed by terrorists since 9/11 number around 100. Those killed by other Americans with handguns, in the tens or thousands.

He was making an apples and oranges comparison.

On one hand we have deaths by terrorists, with no mention or consideration of what method the terrorists used to kill.

On the other hand we have deaths by murderers, with no mention or consideration of the murderers, and hysterical focus on the method that the murderers used to kill.

But even if he had made a legitimate comparison, it would amount to useless trivia. Who cares that murderers in the US use guns to kill people? Their victims would be just as dead if they were killed with knives.

McTag wrote:
You don't have to argue endlessly about the Second Amendment, you only have to look around you and use your common sense.

I have a better idea. How about you guys in the UK vote in a government that restores your freedom, so that everyone in London can carry a handgun whenever they go about in public?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:24 am
@Setanta,
Saab likely has a point with

Quote:
Around 1980 1990 I have a feeling things really developed as a masshysteria

given that a high crime era

http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/warrenthrockmorton/files/2013/06/UCR_Vio_11.gif
was followed by the gun control laws of the early 90's. After all those years being reminded of how much a gun comes in handy the government working to restrict guns would be a problem.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:43 am
re the OP:

About 1/3 of homes has at least one gun, so 2/3 do not. Claims of a gun craze must keep this in mind. Also the reason those with guns have guns are varied.

We cant get rid of guns because any effort to do so would require a large scale government police action, actually the military would probably be required. We dont trust the state that much, and besides the constitution says we can have them. Resistance would also be strong, and this government knows that it would likely fall if it tried to disarm the citizens.
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:49 am
@hawkeye10,
There is no correlation between violent crime rates and attitudes toward guns, nor any alleged "mass hysteria." Is this becoming the fuzzy thinking thread? The second amendment was ratified in 1791 (Sweden didn't even have their new, phony-baloney royal house yet). The FBI was not established until 1908 and the ATF not until 1927. So attempting to characterize crimes and firearms use and control of the 220 years since the Bill of Rights was ratified can hardly be fulfilled by a pretty chart.

You're an idiot.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 04:00 am
@hawkeye10,
If a person is forced tto give up his/hers gun and feel it is necessary to have one they get one.
Violence in Scandinavia has increased during the same time - also without guns. Knives, fights, mobbing, racisim. And of course there are reasons to have a gun in the house: hunters, police, military.
My father had a hunting licence and guns, but did not like to hunt except very very seldom. So I was close to be a teenager before I realized we had guns in the house.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 09:01 am
204 mass shooting in the US this year – 204 days into 2015
Quote:
“Those who live in America, or visit it, might do best to regard [mass shootings] the way one regards air pollution in China: an endemic local health hazard which, for deep-rooted cultural, social, economic and political reasons, the country is incapable of addressing,” The Economist wrote in response to the Charleston massacre. “This may, however, be a bit unfair. China seems to be making progress on pollution.”
Source
RABEL222

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 11:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter your source dosent work.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 12:03 pm
@RABEL222,
Thanks.

Fixed source for my above response.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:59 pm
@McTag,

Quote:
in the tens or thousands.

Sorry, typo, that should be " in the tens of thousands".

Perhaps that guy walking towards you with a gun in his pocket thinks he is a part of a well-ordered militia, but I don't.
No doubt he thinks he is a good guy, maybe a bit misunderstood.
Maybe he has a grudge, like most of us have.
If he doesn't have a gun, he's not important.
But he wants to be important.
And he can easily get a gun.
oralloy

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 01:01 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Perhaps that guy walking towards you with a gun in his pocket thinks he is a part of a well-ordered militia, but I don't.

The term is well-regulated militia. It was used to refer to a militia that had trained to the extent that they could fight as a single coordinated unit as opposed to fighting as a bunch of random individuals.

The guy with the gun in a holster knows that it does not matter one iota whether or not anyone thinks he is a member of a militia.

McTag wrote:
No doubt he thinks he is a good guy, maybe a bit misunderstood.

No doubt he is a good guy. After all, he is exercising his rights as a free American.

McTag wrote:
If he doesn't have a gun, he's not important.
But he wants to be important.

Don't go projecting serf nonsense on us free Americans.
McTag

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:17 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
whether or not anyone thinks he is a member of a militia.

No militia, no arms. It says so in the Constitution.

Quote:
serf nonsense on us free Americans.

You've got that backwards, as usual. You are enslaved by the NRA and its twisted philosophy, are you not. To be free of the fear of a bullet in the head, that's the kind of freedom that means something.
Freedom for everyone to do what the hell they want is not freedom. There's another word for that.
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:36 pm
@McTag,
oralloy insists on using these mantra lines about guns. He does it robotically and he fails to address the issues of safety for others. Protection of ones house or property is one thing, but carrying and brandishing guns about and making guns so easy to acquire by idiots and zealots is another , The US IS being held captive by the NRA and the gun industry. Every damn politician is afraid of the "funding challenge" tht crossing the NRA would get you and your political career.

I recall when the NRA was a"gun safety while hunting and marksmanship training" club that everyone was proud to be a member

It became a political movement when?
oralloy

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 03:58 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
No militia, no arms. It says so in the Constitution.

The Constitution says no such thing.

However, attempts to confine civil rights to members of a militia can only work if the government actually has a militia. The absence of such a militia invalidates such nonsense from the start.

McTag wrote:
You've got that backwards, as usual.

I have nothing backwards. You were trying to apply your serf mentality to free Americans.

McTag wrote:
You are enslaved by the NRA and its twisted philosophy, are you not.

I am not. The NRA are the ones who protect my freedom.

The notion that freedom is a twisted philosophy, is a twisted philosophy.

McTag wrote:
To be free of the fear of a bullet in the head, that's the kind of freedom that means something.

You are confusing freedom with security. And if you think that I am at high risk of being shot, you really have no idea what America is like.

McTag wrote:
Freedom for everyone to do what the hell they want is not freedom. There's another word for that.

Be happy that you have the lack of freedom that you desire.

America chooses freedom. Accept our choice for ourselves.
oralloy

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 04:01 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
oralloy insists on using these mantra lines about guns. He does it robotically

You mean when I point out facts?

farmerman wrote:
and he fails to address the issues of safety for others. Protection of ones house or property is one thing, but carrying and brandishing guns about and making guns so easy to acquire by idiots and zealots is another ,

People have the right to carry guns when they go about in public.

No one said anything about brandishing.

farmerman wrote:
The US IS being held captive by the NRA and the gun industry.

Nonsense.

farmerman wrote:
Every damn politician is afraid of the "funding challenge" tht crossing the NRA would get you and your political career.

Not really. The politicians are afraid that the NRA will instruct their members to vote them out of office.

The NRA's strength lies in the fact that they have legions of people who are happy to vote for and against whoever the NRA wishes.

farmerman wrote:
I recall when the NRA was a"gun safety while hunting and marksmanship training" club that everyone was proud to be a member

It became a political movement when?

When the Democratic Party decided to devote themselves to violating our civil rights.
0 Replies