Revisiting illustration transmittal

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 02:12 pm
The link I understand; but Last I looked into it, at least 253 keystrokes are required to copy an actual illustration from another site (Google for instance) to an a2k posting. And yes, I've asked before but wondering in the meantime if the process might've been simplified

Thanks all you patient creatures

But, but yes I remember your #....254 five years ago requiring only 13 steps of only 7 keystrokes each, and thanks for it. But hoping meantime even simpler
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,139 • Replies: 40

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 02:29 pm
@dalehileman,
253 keystrokes??? What??? I did this with two mouse clicks and zero keystrokes:
http://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Observer/Columnist/Columnists/2015/3/13/1426282984484/The-Erebus-left-England-f-007.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=40a634956ffbb5b6c213573e7806aa1a
Setanta

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 03:36 pm
This joker has been whining about the site since he got here--as though it should be changed to suit him, just because he's dull-witted.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 05:03 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
two mouse clicks and zero keystrokes
Tes, how exactly
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 05:22 pm
@dalehileman,
Actually it is 6 mouse clicks. This is how I do it. I use Mozilla Firefox, which has "tabs". In tab 1 I have a web page with a picture I want to show to A2Kers. In tab 2 I am replying to a thread, where I have the reply box (like right now) or the "Ask a Question" box. In tab 1 I right click the picture. (one click) A menu comes up. I left click "Copy Image location" (two clicks). I left click tab 2 (three clicks). Above the reply box I left click (four clicks) the "Img" button. The img and /img tags appear with the typing cursor between. I right click (five clicks) and select "Paste" (six clicks) in the menu that appears.
http://media.petsathome.com/wcsstore/pah-as01/images/mega-menu/kitten-bg.png
dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 06:22 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Six clicks! Wow! Tes thank you. I'm sending a link to my sons and others who understand this stuff better than I, who will help me implement it upon their next visit
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2015 07:21 pm
@dalehileman,
It may be a tiny bit different with your mac, but I'm not sure, and my mac is very old.

I start by finding the photo somewhere, possibly google images or some article.
I'll pick one (in google images) that has pixels listed as 900 or under for the width), otherwise you are apt to find yourself with a giant photo. There are usually plenty of them under 900 pixel width.

I double click on the small image on the google image page.

That brings me, in this case I'm using, to a bigger photo in a news site.
I hold down my control button and click on the photo.
That brings up a list of choices:
I click on OPEN IMAGE IN A NEW WINDOW.
The image shows up.

I copy the image URL, in this case -
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/66/16/222088/3/628x471.jpg
and put it in the Reply Box

I either manually add [img] in front of that URL and [/img]immediately after it, or do what Tes yeux noir said,
swipe it with my mouse and click on the image button in the Reply Box.

That's it, for me at least.

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/66/16/222088/3/628x471.jpg

Don't know if your mac is the same.

Adds, I don't have a left and right click mouse. If you do, I'd follow what Tes said, and use the left one.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 10:53 am
@ossobuco,
Oss, along with Tes you've made my entire day

One of the easier ways is to first transfer the snapshot to a Cloud Station (if no danger of embarrassment), then copy it to the a2k posting; requiring only 122 keystrokes
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 11:57 am
Why do you need all those keystrokes?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 05:53 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
Why do you need all those keystrokes?
Sorry Tes, exaggerating a little
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 12 Jul, 2015 08:09 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

Actually it is 6 mouse clicks...
Dale started losing interest right there (you mentioned a number larger than 2, and he knows that mice don't click, they squeak)
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
This is how I do it. I use Mozilla Firefox...
Oops, you lost Dale right there. Dale thinks Mozilla is a misspelling of Godzilla (which he will blame on MAC Auto-Correct functions), and he thinks Firefox refers to an old movie starring Clint Eastwood. The rest is just a pile of words you have jumbled into the paragraph to confuse him (so he ignored them). Smile

Next he will tell us how his #1 son (apparently the other sons are useless because we never hear about them) will solve the problem the next time he comes over. This will be followed by an open letter to some selected massive corporation (let's pick one at random for example... Hmmm... let's say... APPLE for example) complaining about some miniscule issue with their spell check (like how it doesn't understand the word "miniscule") or something.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 10:03 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
...followed by an open letter....for example... .APPLE... complaining about some miniscule issue...
Actually tho Tes the journs of our Friendly local Fourth Estate consider my Letters to the Editor pretty entertaining
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:06 pm
Self-delusion knows no bounds . . . anyone who abbreviates absolutely everything, and thinks "journs" is a readily comprehensible example is too far gone to reason with in the first place.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2015 01:39 pm
I don't understand why he needs to do so many keystrokes to copy an image url into a forum post, or, in fact, any keystrokes at all. OK, I don't have an Apple, and the last time I actually used an Apple computer was around 1990, but surely they can't be all that clunky? I know they used to have those weird one-button mice.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 07:51 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
...why he needs to do so many keystrokes
Tes forgive slight exaggeration for snicker
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 01:46 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Tes forgive slight exaggeration

If you are seriously asking for computer advice it is important, nay vital, to provide accurate information. If you say you use one hundred and fifty-three keystrokes to copy an image link into a post on here, the chances are that the people attempting to help you will interpret that to mean that you mean exactly that. If you just mean "too many keystrokes" then you should say so. if you wish to play with us for "snickers" then many of us will feel that you are wasting our time.
Setanta

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2015 02:02 pm
Of course he's wasting you're time--he's an attention whore. He doesn't really care about posting images, he just wants to be the center of attention.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 11:20 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
...then many of us will feel that you are wasting our time.

Tes my most abject apologies. I do realize many of us take it all so literally
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 11:22 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
He doesn't really care about posting images,...
Not so. For a future learning session with one of my kids I had fully intended to copy and print several of the above postings describing these various approaches, but then I realized I had forgotten how

Edited to remark that I do remember a method suggested by another a2k'er:

Copy desired posting
Open Word
Paste
Save As,
Type suitable file name
Save
Reopen Safari
Select "able2know"
Select "My Posts"
Select pertinent thread
Select posting in which to save
Edit
Place cursor
Hit return
Paste
Update

Too many keystrokes. Surely there's an easier way....
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2015 12:03 pm
@dalehileman,
Copy desired posting
Select "able2know"
Select "My Posts"
Select pertinent thread
Select posting in which to save
Edit
Place cursor
Hit return
Paste