Bernie the Jew. WWJD?

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 09:12 am
@Lash,
Being heckled despite having voting the way the crowd though Bernie should isn't particularly "Jew hate." Neither are gang-type heckling, violent trills while pointing out facts about Hamas, being treated as guilty while one is innocent, etc.

You hoping that his religion won't be unfairly used against him doesn't demonstrate "Jew-hate" from the hecklers.
Foofie

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 10:23 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Being heckled despite having voting the way the crowd though Bernie should isn't particularly "Jew hate." Neither are gang-type heckling, violent trills while pointing out facts about Hamas, being treated as guilty while one is innocent, etc.

You hoping that his religion won't be unfairly used against him doesn't demonstrate "Jew-hate" from the hecklers.

But, in a democracy one does not have to love everyone. So, what would be wrong if some in the crowd did not like the speaker, since they had issues with Jews? All the heckling shows is that the heckler won't afford the speaker respectful listening. If that isn't illegal at a public speech, then the concern is a non-sequitor. Is the moniker of anti-Semite limiting to the Gentile that is accused of that feeling? Sort of like saying that fair skinned people don't get sunburned more easily. My point is that if one puts the average Gentile into an ethnically Jewish environment, few Gentiles, in my opinion, can deal with the barrage of verbal jousting, etc. that permeates a very ethnically Jewish environment. I am not talking about Jews that are living assimilated lives in the U.S., but many of those in the ethnic enclaves of urban America.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 12:10 pm
@Foofie,
M'kay.
foundednotlost

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 01:56 pm
As a politician out on the road, heckling from the crowd is usually an integral component from strangers, after all, one cannot please everyone, especially when the masses run into the thousands. Some people will have their toes stepped on and some will be enthralled by the politician's words. If there were no heckling at all one would think the speaker bought the audience like Trump did when he announced his run for the US presidency.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 03:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
I almost presume Bernie can't get elected...

I don't "almost" presume it, Ossobuco...I presume it.

Anybody remember the big question of the 70's? "Jimmy Who?"
Lash

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 06:38 pm
@roger,
Smile Roger.

btw, in case the peanut gallery missed it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-weigant/hillary-and-bernie_b_7740032.html

Bernie Sanders is going to win the goddamn election.

When screaming enthusiastic Bernie voters filled the 7000-seat civic center, others stood outside. 4999 people and i streamed it live. NO body else comes close. How long will mutterers sit in the shadows counting the odds.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 07:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

M'kay.

Standard English, please.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 09:06 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

M'kay.

Yeah? Like shiksa is "Standard English."
CalamityJane

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 09:45 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Why don't you begin by explaining just why energy production is a global matter requiring local regulation by those who appoint themselves the judges of us all. Perhaps that's too hard. Why not instead explain the public benefits that accrue from 35% subsidies on operating expenses for wind power and forcing public utilities to buy it from the producers at premium prices even when they don't need it. That may also be a bit hard. You could even start with the environmental and economic benefits of subidies for corn based ethanol producers.

George, we have to spend more money on research and technology to
reduce the greenhouse gas emission. It has become a global matter as we are all affected by its outcome. Wind and solar power is using natural resources to produce energy. We have to find alternatives for fuel and even though corn based ethanol is still too expensive to produce, we're on the right track. Elon Musk and his Tesla is also on the right track and his success shows that battery driven cars are part of the future. I know you're a proponent for coal, however it is the single biggest air polluter in the U.S. and emission control regulations for coal power plants are severely lacking.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 10:33 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm not particularly fond of coal as a power source. However, I believe that the ready avaiability of electrical and other forms of power and energy have significantly improved human life for millions, and recognize that curtailing it would come at a very large cost to human welfare. (That's basically the argument put forward by Bjorn Lundberg, a well-known Danish environmentalist).

Nuclear power, of course produces zero airborne emissions of any kind, including CO2. In terms of public health effects and environmental insults (including waste disposal) it is far superior to any and all carbon based fuels. There's a lot of hype and exaggeration out there. For example over 15,000 people were killed in the tusnami that struck eastern Honshu a few yrears ago, while no one was killed at or by the Fukushima powerplant failure (which could/should have been prevented). According to Japanese government data, the most exposed worker at that plant got a radiation dose about equivalent to that from a cat scan of his torso. Tens of thousands of these medical tests are performed annually in this country.

Natural gas is an increasingly abundant power source, and in the past decade it's contribution to our energy mix has grown markedly. Per unit of energy produced, natural gas produces well under half of the CO2 emissions produced in the production of the same amount of power from, coal, and far less of other airborne pollutants.

The replacement of coal derived power with that from natural gas has, in the past five years alone, reduced carbon emissions by nearly 10 times the total reduction achieved through wind and solar power which, despite all the hype, deliver only a very small component of our power actually produced.

There is a reason for this. 100 units of power generating capability from either natural gas or nuclear power can deliver 100 units of power 24/7/365 except for periods when the plant is being repaired or mechanically unavailable, or shut down by choice during periods of low demand.

Wind and solar are different: the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine all the time. Wind turbines must be sized to absorb the peak wind, while the power they deliver is determined by the average wind. As a result they, on average deliver only about 24% of their rated capacity for output. Solar is about the same, depending on the location.

Capacity factor is the term of art used for the % of the generating capoacity that is actually reaslized by power systems.The national average of the nation's 98 nuclear plants is over 90%; for natural gas plants the average is a bit lower only because they are preferentially shutdown or throttled back during periods of low demand. Coal is somewhat lower still for the same reason. Wind and solar are way back there at less than 25%.- and that is not by choice, it is instead an inherent limit.

That's why the real cost of wind and solar power is more than three times that for conventional sources, and why they are so heavily subsidized by direct payments and statutory requirements that a certain fraction of them must be used regardless of cost. Without these costly subsidies it wouldnn't exist.

There is another matter here as well. Well-known primary effects of subsidies are (1) the creation od well organized lobbies that ensure the subsidies are preserved (that's why ethanol survives). (2) the suppression of investment in innovation for improved sources resulting from thoise subsidies and captive markets. Subsidies for wind and solar power are often rationalized on the basis of sustaining investment in new techniques, while the real effect is exactly the opposite.

All of this is relatively well-known by knowledgable people, but it hasn't changed the public perception very much. Could the large body of people be wrong about something so basic??? Look at Greece today.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 09:40 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
I almost presume Bernie can't get elected...

I don't "almost" presume it, Ossobuco...I presume it.

Anybody remember the big question of the 70's? "Jimmy Who?"

And also the similar question of the 90's, "An Arkansas Governor Rhodes Scholar?"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 09:53 am
Roger...Blue...

...if you want to think Bernie Sanders can be elected to the presidency...fine with me.

I could not possibly disagree with you more...and I will continue to voice my concerns with people wanting to play dice with SCOTUS appointments...and with the protection of safety net programs.

You two, and others of like mind, are certainly free to go in exactly the opposite direction. You are even free to say, "I don't care if we lose, so long as we stand up for our principles."

I am sure there are many extreme right wingers wishing you success.

roger

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 03:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You do understand I never said I had plans to vote for him?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 03:50 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

You do understand I never said I had plans to vote for him?

I have not seen you commit either way, Roger.

I did see you bring Jimmy Carter into the mix (others have mentioned Barack Obama)...and I brought Barry Goldwater and George McGovern in...in a counter measure.

We both did right by our feelings. I do not begrudge you whatever you feel...and I hope you do not begrudge me mine.
roger

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 04:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thank you.

Who I actually favor is pretty open at this time, depending mostly on how and if the Republicans ever get themselves sorted out. Someone recently referred to the field as a Clown Car, and that's not inappropriate. Some of the Republican candidates are simply not acceptable, and there are simply too many at this time to spend much time on.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Foofie wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

M'kay.

Yeah? Like shiksa is "Standard English."

Can you just explain what "M'kay" means? I never heard the expression before.

Shiksa is Yiddish (I don't think Hebrew). It might have originally meant "pagan maiden"? It doesn't have a pejorative inference, unless, as the old joke goes, a Jewish mother is referring to the girl her son in infatuated with.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:29 pm
@Foofie,
It's a colloquial way of saying "okay."
Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 02:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

It's a colloquial way of saying "okay."

Not in my neck of the woods. Regardless, thank you.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 09:58 pm
@InfraBlue,
Where?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 10:01 pm
@georgeob1,
hawkeye seems to use it regularly - so the where seems to be wherever people are inhaling