And some still doubt that the goal of the right is to make Joe Citizen stupid

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 12:07 pm
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/breathtaking-in-its-stupidity-wisconsin-gop-bill-would-allow-high-school-dropouts-to-teach-high-school/

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 01:00 pm
The stupider the better. Once people reach the intellectual level of cows and goats, they will be so much easier to manipulate.
FBM

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 05:17 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
“It’s breathtaking in its stupidity,” Evers told Wisconsin Radio Network.

Pretty much, yep. Wow.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 05:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
I dont think a cow would have been stupid enough to vote for Bush, especially the second time.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 06:58 pm
Teaching credentials and Teacher's unions are merely devices for avoiding competition and accountability for results obtained by teachers looking for a secure paycheck. Hard to see anything worse than what we have now. From what I read nothing in the proposed law prevents local rural school districts from testing the knowledge and ability of those they hire.

The products of our current public schools taught by credentialed teachers, as measured by the average abilities of public high school graduates in most districvts is nothing to brag about, and the lack of it is not necessarily a disability.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 08:24 am
@edgarblythe,
True
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 08:25 am
@RABEL222,
It is good to laugh at some of the political machinations and you made me laugh this morning.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 08:49 am
I am constantly bemused by this proclivity of those with Left Wing political views to suppose they are smarter than the rest of us. Marx and Lenin proclaimed that they (alone) had "discovered" the immutable laws of history. Generations of humans were either slaughtered or condemned to tyranny and poverty before the world recognized that these supposed immutable laws of history were neither immutable, laws or even remotely accurate.

Contemporary progressives announce sweeping plans to eliminate poverty; provide health care for all; and many other undertakings, but the results of these costly and ambitious undertakings always fall woefully short of their proclaimed goals. Poverty persists and goods & services remain unequally distributed simply because the world and hunan nature are far more complex than the theories their self-proclaimed "intellectuals" devise. In most cases we are all worse off as a result of such sweeping programs.

The repeated failure to learn from such experiences is a relaible hallmark of a fool (or at least a very stupid, credulous person).

I'm not suggesting that nothing good can come out of efforts to improve the organization of society. Improvements are possible, but a pragmatic approach that takes into account the need for human freedom and the inescapable responsibility each individual has for himself or herself, is a necessary prerequisite for it.

The author of this thread has the habit of labelling her students and those who disagree with her as "stupid". Perhaps she should also consider herself.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 10:52 am
We are not smarter than all Republicans, just the ones that are teabaggers in their hearts.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 04:19 pm
@georgeob1,
You are one of those who tag those of us who have the gall to disagree with you as a stupid liberal. Welllll, I would rather be a stupid liberal than an intelligent conservative.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 08:02 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

You are one of those who tag those of us who have the gall to disagree with you as a stupid liberal. Welllll, I would rather be a stupid liberal than an intelligent conservative.

Not true. Those who disagree with me are neither all liberals nor all stupid.
You are free to be, or just to label, yourself any way you choose. I wouldn't presume to judge the choices you make that affect only yourself.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2015 08:26 pm
@plainoldme,
Did you read this or just jump to conclusions? This will allow rural districts to hire qualified people to fill empty positions. Do you honestly think that the schools are going to go out and hire the local crack addict? That schools wouldn't actually interview people that would become teachers?

Please. This is a knee jerk liberal reaction. Do you think Truman Capote would be unqualified to teach English to high school students? What about Ray Bradbury or H.G. Wells? None of them graduated high school yet here you are saying how these people would be a joke if they became teachers.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 08:07 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The stupider the better. Once people reach the intellectual level of cows and goats, they will be so much easier to manipulate.

It appears you don't have much experience with goats.

The truly manipulated, the real slavish adherants to externally proclaimed doctrine, comes from progressives who buy into the nonsense that those who claim to know what's good for the rest of us endlessly spew out in the form of programs that don't work; cost far more than expected; and the self serving actions of their leaders who enrich themselves in the arbitrary abuse of the power they demand and get.

The sheep look for government programs. Adult humans look for freedom.
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 08:50 am
@georgeob1,
In Catholic schools, the nuns did NOT have ed degrees. Most were subjects of the convent systems and , Im sure, some had never completed high schools. YET, by some unknown reason, the kids being produced by Catholic schools (in my years as an elementary/secondary student) were superior to their public counterparts.
In pub schools we spend more on ADMINISTRATION than we do on actual excellence in teaching.

I used to teach these National SCience Foundation Summer classes for science teachers (this was back in the late 1970's early 80's). The teacher/students were the laziest most manipulative scroungers Id ever seen. (These were those that were "degreed" an had passed their PSEA minimal requirements imposed by the union rules)

These folks were not stupid, just lazy. They knew how to manipulate the system like pros and Im sure the quality of education was waaay high on theor list of important things they needed to accomplish .RIIIIIIGHT.

Ive never been a fan of 2ndary science teachers and their attitudes. Most were scamming a very liberally rewarding system.
Wed gone, in a single generation, from teachers being underpaid highly dedicated professionals to overpaid underperforming and professionals of low expectation.

Sorry, Id start by firing ALL Administrations in Pub SChools and hire all nuns (despite their lack of "Degrees")

I hate agreeing with George. I must be sliding to the dark side on this issue.

ANOTHER THING--newspaper reporters are among the least informed writers. They dont let any facts get in ther way of pushing a point.
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:03 am
ALSO--we teach the teachers with so much non technical claptrap about "Theories of education", that we fail to give our teachers anything to teach.
I say that we can do a better job with AI teaching and get rid of ALL teachers
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:13 am
Many drop out for reasons that are not their fault and go on to become well educated, sometimes by self, sometimes later going on to college after taking the GED, some go into the armed forces and move up though education frets there. Take the creator and owner of this website for example. He is probably smarter than the lot of us put together. He is very education oriented.

I'll agree that to be a high school teacher now, sans pedigree, should involve testing but I'm not clear on the specifics of that. It is probably the case that those who didn't finish regular high school and then progressed from that may have empathy for the students beyond the usual.

Oh, it happens that I am a left type liberal if that is what you care about.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:30 am
@georgeob1,
That's exactly what conservatives are doing today, now that they have clout. Trickle down along with wealthy tax cuts that decimates a government's ability to function and at the same time not only fails their stated function of "job creators" but lowers wages progressively, plus allows infrastructure to crumble, whines about excessive spending as an excuse to whack away at the safety net while allowing unbridled spending for military adventures. You want it in microcosm, look at states like Kansas.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I didn't know that Kansas was undertaking "military adventures". (Although there is a growing protest going on by those who signed up as paid protestors for Soros-funded "progressive" community organizations affter they were not paid as promised for their "citizen protest services".

Your blather is an odd jumble of falsehoods and nonsense. When pressed you have no ideas - only the mindless repetition of the propaganda and talking points you have consumed so credulously.

There have been no tax cuts for anyone in the past six years. The effectiveness of our government agencies in the past few years appears to have hit new lows, but there is no evidence that deficient funding is the cause. Read about the IG report on the recvent IRS hacking episodes and the indictment of the management of that agency over the past six years in that report. Consider the hapless ineptitude of the Health & Human Services department in the Obamacare rollout.

Our economy is stagnating under a still growing burden of mindless Federal regulations and continuing heavy taxes; many people have lost hope and dropped out of the work force; wages are stagnant and investment in new economic activity by people and businesses is at a new low, precisely because no one can figure out what an increasingly heavy handed and arbitrary government will do next.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 11:32 am
@georgeob1,
Talk about mindless repetition. Not to mention trying to twist my statement about Kansas. The only difference I see between your statements and the other teabaggers is the quality of composition. But the intelligence level is one of those G W Bush things that deserves mockery.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2015 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
What was your "statement about Kansas??? What exactly did I twist?? The truth is you said virtually nothing specific about Kansas ,except that it was a microcosim for some unspecificed things you don't like.

You are the last person here who should criticise others about repetition. Consider your own utterly repetitive threads.

I'm not a member of any tea partty organization. You really know very little about my intelligence of lack of it.
0 Replies