california cps question...

blng

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 03:52 pm
STBX filed for dissolution of marriage, property control kickout and a restraining order for her and kids mid_December of 2014. STBX instigates completely bogus CPS investigation over a month later in late January. Interestingly I noticed on the investigation that the CPS Investigator asked a specific question, "have you had any contact with Family Law"...

Me and the SBTX were asked this question.
I am assuming that question is asked for a specific reason...
It was stated on this site that CPS in certain states (Oregon in particular) will not even get involved if there is already Family Law involvement...

I would like to know the following...
Does California has any such stipulations?
Why does California CPS ask that question?
Since my STBX obviously lied, what are the repercussions?

Ragman

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 03:59 pm
@blng,
That would be a good question for a lawyer. These sort of specifics are best answered by legal counsel.

Furthermore, your query is unclear. Is there any way the reader would or should know what SBTX/STBX is?
blng

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 04:01 pm
@Ragman,
Lawyers cost money...
Ragman

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 04:04 pm
@blng,
And aren't the consequences of not representing your legal interests with a lawyer pretty dire?
blng

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 04:11 pm
@Ragman,
isn't the purpose of this board to get free advice?
jespah

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 06:20 pm
@blng,
It sure is. And our advice is for you to consult an attorney.

PS Our Terms of Service prohibit us from giving legal advice.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:14 pm
@blng,
Quote:
Since my STBX obviously lied, what are the repercussions?

Most states have some kind of law against filing false reports with official agencies, and laws against permitting prosecution for perjury for making false sworn statements.

That's "in theory." As a practical matter, it is highly doubtful that anyone would seek to impose some official penalty in these circumstances. Of course if someone lies in connection with some dispute, and that can be proven, it would affect their perceived credibility in the case at hand.

Btw, I have no clue what CPS is an acronym for, but doubt that it matters.
roger

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:45 pm
@layman,
Child Protective Services.
layman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:49 pm
@roger,
thanks Rog. That raises the question about what "family law" was intended to refer to in the original post.

while I'm posting, let me correct this part of my last post: I said: ".. laws against permitting prosecution for perjury..."

It's probably obvious, but I didn't mean to include the word "against" there.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:55 pm
@layman,
How can you give advice if you don't even know what CPS is?
That's such a common term, even myself as non native speaker know.
roger

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:56 pm
@layman,
I don't have a clue about Family Law, in the context of the OP. There, it sounds more like an institution of some sort, rather than an area of law.
layman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 09:57 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
How can you give advice if you don't even know what CPS is?

Nothing I said made any difference with regard to what it meant.

Quote:
That's such a common term, even myself as non native speaker know.

"Common" in the state you're in, you mean. The names for similar agencies vary from state to state.
layman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 10:00 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I don't have a clue about Family Law, in the context of the OP. There, it sounds more like an institution of some sort, rather than an area of law.

Exactly. You see my question, then. If CPS involves family affairs like this, then who are you "contacting" when you contact "family law?" Family law doesn't seem to fit as either an agency or as a particular area of law (unless maybe it is used to refer to a court of special jurisdiction, like a "family law court").
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 10:03 pm
@layman,
No, CPS is the same in every state - Child Protective Service !
Has nothing to do with various states...
layman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 10:08 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
No, CPS is the same in every state - Child Protective Service !
Has nothing to do with various states...

Ya think?

What does DCFS mean? Do you know?

I doubt it. That stands for Department of Children and Family Services, a term used in some states for an agency that does (among other things) what the CPS does in Oregon. There is no "CPS" in those states, sorry.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 10:33 pm
@layman,
You're just copying the wikipedia entry of it.

CPS is a different federal government entity than DCFS, which is part of DHS (Department of Human Services).
layman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 11:22 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
CPS is a different federal government entity than DCFS, which is part of DHS (Department of Human Services).

Do you just make stuff up as you go? There is no federal agency called the DHS that I'm aware of. There is a federal Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), also known as the Health Department, but it has no "entity" within it called the CPS.

Quote:
You're just copying the wikipedia entry of it.

I hadn't looked at wiki regarding this matter, but if you're interested in what the "CPS" is, maybe you should look there.

Quote:
Child Protective Services (CPS) is the name of a governmental agency in many states of the United States that responds to reports of child abuse or neglect. Some states use other names, often attempting to reflect more family-centered (as opposed to child-centered) practices, such as "Department of Children & Family Services" (DCFS).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Protective_Services

There are federal laws (not agencies) which are designed to provide FUNDS to state agencies (and also private non-profit agencies) but, beyond that, these are strictly state matters, not subject to federal administration. See, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Abuse_Prevention_and_Treatment_Act
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 11:43 pm
@layman,
If you were able to read correctly, you could understand correctly...
layman is a perfect moniker for you!

DCFS is part of DHS ...CPS ist a different entity.
layman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 11:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
If you were able to read correctly, you could understand correctly... layman is a perfect moniker for you! DCFS is part of DHS ...CPS ist a different entity.

You're the one who can't read, I'm afraid. Try again.

Do you have ANY authority for claiming that what you are calling the DHS is a FEDERAL agency? Any? At all?

Some states also have what THEY (not the feds) call a Department (or Division) of Human Services, as I understand it. But that just reinforces my original point, i.e., that different states have different designations for their STATE agencies which may have functions similar to other agencies, in other states, which go by different names.

Contrary to your assertions, and contrary to what wiki clearly says, "CPS" is merely the name which SOME states use. It is not the same in every state, as you assert (without basis) nor is the CPS some federal agency.
roger

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 02:15 am
Dayum. If I had ever heard DHS in the context of federal agencies, I would have been thinking of Department of Homeland Securities.

Not to change the subject, of course.