Hi, is my essay ok?

Sat 28 Mar, 2015 12:35 pm
Hi, I'm Joanna, I'm a polish student of American Studies and I'd be grateful if someone could check my essay. Is the grammar, vocabulary, syntax ok?

“Becoming Members of Society: Learning the Social Meanings of Gender.”

The article “Becoming Members of Society: Learning the Social Meanings of Gender” is selected from Aaron H. Dover's book, entitled “ Gender Blending: Confronting the Limits of Duality”, which broaches on a sensitive part of every person's life- gender identity. The author states that gender identity is the basic and the most important element on the way of becoming the “properly gendered members of society”, and that it has significant influence on person's behaviors in their life.
According to the author gender diversity varies from culture to culture. In some there are only two, where boundary between female and male is very strictly placed, gender role is connected with biological sex, and it is not possible to change gender without changing biological sex characteristics, but in others the difference among genders is not so highly respected, dissimilarities are blurred and people who want to live according to the gender role of other sex have their own social category.
As a starting point to talk about gender role the author presents results of research on development of gender identity among children. He states that at the same time when children identify themselves as members of specific gender group they learn about gender behaviors, which are appropriate for them. Growing up is the moment when they start to see themselves apart from others. Their view of themselves as individuals is strongly connected with how the society sees them. Sensitivity and susceptibility to influence make them strive towards fulfilling the requirements imposed by the society and they begin to treat them as the natural and true. Behaviors allocated for specific gender group make children observe their actions and censor everything that can be seen as wrong by the society.
To identify person by gender there are two definitions: femininity and masculinity. Since femininity's biggest predispositions are to extend the species, and childbirth, females should do everything to attract men. Females are characterized by passivity, submission and being eager to cooperate with others. Women are almost naturally given the role of mother and dependence on men so the way of dressing, moving and speaking must be attractive for them, thus their actions should show weakness and dependency. There are many things in society which are considered feminine. Specific body posture, keeping arms close to the body, legs together, using childlike gestures, invading personal space or smiling is seen as feminine.
Masculinity on the other hand is connected with aggression and dominance, and the same as femininity, it also manifests through body language. Standing with arms away from the body, sitting with legs apart, speaking loudly, serious facial expression is considered to be masculine. Men's behavior should cause the impressions of aggression and dominance.
Being masculine is also connected with success. The desire to dominate caused to see the society in hierarchical form. Achieving success requires aggression and competition, but also not being vulnerable for manipulation and being hurt. Such characteristics caused seeing masculinity as ideological structure, valuable and femininity as something worse what emphasizes dominance of masculinity.
Gender role characteristics are the reflections of society schema we live in- society based on dominance of the one gender. That schema causes us to believe that woman's submissiveness, helplessness, depending on a supportive and dominant man are natural. It makes us believe that male's aggression and dominance are essential features, which lead to males superiority over female. We are raised to confirm that vision of gender role, but researches shown by the author denies that thesis of dominance, there is no such thing superiority of one gender over another among children, which shows that our society is based on gender discrimination.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 3,987 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

jessback

Sat 25 Apr, 2015 06:12 am
I like it;)
kjbinukj

Sun 26 Apr, 2015 12:19 am
@jessback,
>>>The desire to dominate caused to see the society in hierarchical form<<<
I would like to correct it as -The desire to dominate forces one to see the society in hierarchical form
0 Replies

homeworkhelp

Tue 16 Jun, 2015 02:32 am
NIce I like it
0 Replies