What is The Reason We Will NOT Be in Self Driving Cars?

hawkeye10

Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:40 pm
Interesting

Quote:
Ahead of that innovation, which Tesla is calling “7.0,” an advancement this summer will allow Tesla cars to drive themselves on the highway, Musk said on a Thursday conference call.
The summer update is being tested on highways between San Francisco and Seattle, where trial drivers are “almost able to travel the entire route without touching any controls at all,” Musk said.
Still, Tesla said the new software won’t allow the cars to drive themselves in stop-and-go city traffic, citing safety reasons and the need for more research.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/20/teslas-new-model-s-will-park-itself-then-pick-you-up/
BillRM

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 12:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Ahead of that innovation, which Tesla is calling “7.0,” an advancement this summer will allow Tesla cars to drive themselves on the highway, Musk said on a Thursday conference call.
The summer update is being tested on highways between San Francisco and Seattle, where trial drivers are “almost able to travel the entire route without touching any controls at all,” Musk said.

The word you should be paying attention is almost and that almost is on a superhighway at that.
hawkeye10

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 02:01 am
@BillRM,
Can we get that in English please?
BillRM

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 06:02 am
@hawkeye10,
Seems straight forward to me Hawkeye, on a nice fairly straight superhighway a driver almost does not need to steer.

That is no big deal and where the rubber meet the road is driving on other roadways that are not superhighways and there can not be an almost involved as an almost could or would get you killed.

maxdancona

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 06:46 am
@BillRM,
Bill,

Why do you think humans should be allowed to drive on superhighways? Humans make deadly mistakes on highways everyday. Self-driving cars won't "almost" fall asleep at the wheel.

Give me an argument against self-driving cars that isn't a better argument against human drivers. (I will give you the hacking argument as the only one, but I think that there are proven solutions to prevent that).

Self-driving cars should be compared to human drivers. Human drivers do some really stupid things that causes thousands of deaths each years. If self-driven cars significantly reduce the number of deaths from driving, don't you agree that makes them worthwhile?

BillRM

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 07:01 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If self-driven cars significantly reduce the number of deaths from driving, don't you agree that makes them worthwhile?

No as I am a damn good driver that have been driving for over 40 years with not one serous accident on my record and see no reason why the state should force me to placed my life and my passengers lives in the hand on some computer software that does not have the judgment I happen to have.

Been around computers and computer control equipments all my working life and I am not willing to trust such with my life.

Question are you willing to fly in a commerce jet liner without a human pilot onboard?
Ionus

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 07:15 am
Chauffeur Union, Panel Beaters Union, Emergency Services Union, Taxi Union, and Vandals .
0 Replies

Ionus

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 07:17 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Question are you willing to fly in a commerce jet liner without a human pilot onboard?
They've already done that and the only comment was the flight seemed a bit smoother than usual till they told them the pilot never touched the controls . They still didnt want to fly without a pilot .
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 07:17 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Been around computers and computer control equipments all my working life and I am not willing to trust such with my life.

Have you flown on a commercial jet recently? Have you had surgery? Does your car have anti-lock brakes?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 07:20 am
@BillRM,
I wouldn't be willing to fly in a commercial jet with software onboard.

The pilot has a hell of a time operating a modern plane when the software goes down. The software operates so much better than a human pilot on so many things that we now depend on it.
BillRM

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 08:46 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The pilot has a hell of a time operating a modern plane when the software goes down. The software operates so much better than a human pilot on so many things that we now depend on it.

Oh? so you think that computers could have save the passengers on the plane that needed to be put down in the Hudson river after getting hit by birds and losing all it engines on take-off?

How about the plane that lost all it control surfaces in flight and just by adjusting the power settings on the engines the crew was able somehow to reach an airport and by doing so save about half the passengers?

Sorry but I trust train humans far more when the **** hit the fan then all the computers controls in the world.

0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I wouldn't be willing to fly in a commercial jet with software onboard.

Did you mean "without"?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:35 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Quote:

The word you should be paying attention is almost and that almost is on a superhighway at that.

Can we get that in English please?

I believe he meant:

The word that you should be paying attention to is "almost". And that "almost" is on a superhighway at that.
0 Replies

Chumly

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:01 am
The reason we will not be in self-driving cars?

Christian theology assures us that free will is necessary to redeem oneself from original sin. Self-driving cars are unquestionably deterministic and God will surely smote those self-driving satin-inspired contraptions plus everyone associated with them.
izzythepush

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:03 am
@Chumly,
Chumly wrote:
God will surely smote those self-driving satin-inspired contraptions

If they were inspired by satin, it should be a comfortable drive all round.
Chumly

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
I'd expect the heater to work well, the AC...not so much.
0 Replies

Ionus

Sat 21 Mar, 2015 08:57 pm
@Chumly,
Quote:
Christian theology assures us that free will is necessary to redeem oneself from original sin. Self-driving cars are unquestionably deterministic and God will surely smote those self-driving satin-inspired contraptions plus everyone associated with them.
Lots of smoting...just like the good ol' days...
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Fri 27 Mar, 2015 08:03 am
And liability from insurance is not the greatest problem... these damn self driving cars love listening metallic music only...

No... I'm definitively against these cars...
0 Replies

Agent1741

Fri 25 May, 2018 12:16 pm
One big issue is that computers cannot deal with all the various perameters & variables that the human brain can. It may also not be fast enough to do it. A computer is only as fast as or can react to the data its given. The computer is also programmed by a human that is not perfect & has flaws. I for one would not buy one.
0 Replies