Can someone please help me with this sentence?

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 08:36 am
"Access to the regulated area was limited to authorized personnel only."

Microsoft Word does not like my usage of "authorized". Is it not an acceptable adjective?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 14,139 • Replies: 37

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 08:41 am
@sleeepy2,
It's fine. Word often screws up, and this is one of those times.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 09:09 am
@sleeepy2,
I don't know why MS Word grammar checker rejects the word. Frankly, personally I don't like that the grammar checker is set up and use it in a very broad way.

The word authorized is quite acceptable. However, I would use restricted instead of the word regulated.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 09:40 am
@sleeepy2,
The word "only" is not necessary.
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 10:02 am
@Glennn,
Only is quite an appropriate choice of words. Why on earth would you think it is not?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 10:07 am
@sleeepy2,
Word is thinking that you were trying for the infinitive "to authorize." If you had clicked on it for a correction, I suspect that is what it would correct to.

The sentence (or sign) works as nicely without the "only" as with it.
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 10:08 am
@Frank Apisa,
I disagree. The word only adds clarity so it is an acceptable ...make that. ..PREFERRED choice.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 10:31 am
@sleeepy2,
sleeepy2 wrote:

Microsoft Word does not like my usage of "authorized". Is it not an acceptable adjective?

Try this

"Access to the regulated area was limited to those who were authorized."
Because
word has a problem with your tense, in this case the word authorized

if you mean past tense change are to were. If you want to keep your original sentence drop the d on authorized
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 11:14 am
@argome321,
There is nothing wrong with the use of the word authorized as it is being used as an adjective or adjectival phrase. Grammar checker often times does not distinguish this sort of difference.

Plus the OP is aware of and has described authorized as an adjective.
imawonderingwhy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 11:15 am
@Ragman,
Glennn is misremembering the goofy "grammar" rules he was taught in school.
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 11:16 am
@imawonderingwhy,
I've wondered where you went to. JT is back
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 11:39 am
@Ragman,
Jiant Tit?
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:07 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the use of the word authorized as it is being used as an adjective or adjectival phrase. Grammar checker often times does not distinguish this sort of difference.

Plus the OP is aware of and has described authorized as an adjective.

I'm not saying something is wrong with the word authorized. i'm sayingWord is saying the grammar is incorrect. I can only tell you how Word interprets it and it has limited interpretations.

I tried it and it work so your argument is with Word not me

with a d authorized is past tense but the helping verb he used is present tense, that's the reason
I don't about what your grammar check does or doesn't but my version of Microsoft word does check this type of error.

I use it all the time.
Perhaps it would clearer if entire the paragraph was available to be read
imawonderingwhy

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:10 pm
@sleeepy2,
Do NOT, under any circumstances, trust Microsoft Word for advice on English grammar!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:12 pm
@argome321,
I'm not arguing with anyone. Just offering advice requested.

furthermore, I will restate that MS Word's grammar checker is less than helpful in many or most cases.

You'll pardon my bluntness...I mean no disrespect...but based upon your recent history and your entry here in this thread I've observed that you have a peculiar grasp of the English language.
contrex

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:20 pm
@sleeepy2,
sleeepy2 wrote:

My MS Word (2003, British English) also highlights "authorized" in that sentence as a grammar error, and suggests I meant to use the infinitive.

Interestingly, if I spell it properly (for my locale) i.e. "authorised", Microsoft Word sees no error.

Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:22 pm
@contrex,
well, that's some proof that MS Word is flexible enough to accept the alternate Brit English spelling and American English spellings.

Wait, I may have misunderstood your point. Have I done so? Are you saying that changing the spelling masks out the grammar correction condition?
argome321

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:22 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
I'm not arguing with anyone. Just offering advice requested.

furthermore, I will restate that MS Word's grammar checker is less than helpful in many or most cases.

I have no problem with his original sentence. Yes Ms word has it' s problems. I do notice that using grammar check on MS it takes into account an entire paragraph so perhaps it is basing it's correction on the entire paragraph which we don't have access to read.
Ragman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:25 pm
@argome321,
Contrex has addressed the issue.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 12:25 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
You'll pardon my bluntness...I mean no disrespect...but based upon your recent history and your entry here in this thread I've observed that you have a peculiar grasp of the English language.

I guess you mean that in the negative?