babette

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 04:39 pm
I would love for someone to help me! I'hvae had only a bit of Latin in school because I changed to a French based school > I have a simple question: I need to be sure how I say Je suis Charlie (I am Charlie) for a painting I'm, doing. What I've worked out I'm just not sure about! Thanks!!!

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 04:47 pm
@babette,
You go to a French based school and you don't know how to say Je suis Charlie?
Something doesn't ring true here...
contrex

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 04:54 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Pearlylustre wrote:
You go to a French based school and you don't know how to say Je suis Charlie?

I think the OP wants to know how to say it in Latin? (See the topic tag)

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 05:18 pm
@contrex,
Oh ok.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 05:22 pm
@babette,
Sum Carolus
Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 06:56 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Carolus sum, rather.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 10:22 am
@Olivier5,
No argument. The subject/predicate relationship is usually reversed in Latin. Apparently those Romans spke like Yoda -- "Charlie I am" indeed!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 10:30 am
@babette,
I would leave it in French. I think it loses something to translate it to another language.
George

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 12:37 pm
@engineer,
Agreed.
I don't believe "Charlie" itself is the French diminutive of "Charles".
Olivier5

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 12:51 pm
@George,
Indeed, 'Charlie' is an old reference to Charlie Brown.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 01:27 pm
@George,
George wrote:
I don't believe "Charlie" itself is the French diminutive of "Charles".

It isn't. Charlot is. (It is what Charlie Chaplin's comic movie character was called in France) A number of male diminutives end in -ot, e.g.:

Pierre -> Pierrot
Jean -> Jeannot
Charles -> Charlot
Jules -> Julot

They are a bit old-fashioned these days.

Also a rare female Margaret/Marguerite -> Margot which has become a name in its own right in the English speaking world.
contrex

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 01:33 pm
Carolus sum just means "I am Charles". Dull. You might as well ask to translate "Yo momma so dumb she think Taco Bell is a phone company" into Latin. The essence (and the reference) would be lost in the process. If the OP wants to pay homage to Charlie Hebdo, what's wrong with je suis Charlie? Or to be a bit argotique and maybe un peu branché, "moi chuis Charlie" ? Or even better, a Maurice and a Patapon? (I stlll weep at their loss, although, of course they can never die.) I can't help thinking that Charb would have drawn a cartoon about all the people jumping on the je suis Charlie bandwagon. It is still sinking in just how great the loss was.

http://www.mauriceetpatapon.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/01-grospaquet.png

babette

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 05:45 pm
@contrex,
haha (last one), only just saw all your answers! Thanks so much! Din't know one doesn't get email notifications upon replies. I was only looking for the Latin version because I have made other paintings with Latin on them, kind of in the tradition of the first "speech bubbles" like in the Annunciation by van Eyck etc. Otherwise I would agree that it becomes rather stilted to say Je suis Charlie in Latin. Does lose something. Let's see. Otherwise I might really be doing what the doggy on the last cartoon is saying...Would there actually be a Diminutive to Carolus? Tried to look it up - but sounds weird as it adds almost the same in the end...
ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 05:51 pm
@babette,
Babette, I'm not sure, but I think if you want email notifications, you have to check a box on the page where (and when) you are typing out your thread question (or discussion).

I'm not sure since I don't want the emails, being a long time habitue. But next time you ask a question, look for a small box below where you put the question itself.
babette

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 07:44 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks, I'll check...
0 Replies

babette

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 07:46 am
@contrex,
Thanks! I posted something yesterday thanking everyone for answers. Would there actually be a Diminutive to Carolus in Latin? Tried to look it up - but sounds weird as it adds almost the same in the end...
contrex

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 07:55 am
@babette,
Quote:
Would there actually be a Diminutive to Carolus in Latin?

Possibly Carolulus - plenty of hits for that on Google. See this Wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutive#Latin

George

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 08:15 am
@contrex,
Agreed
0 Replies

babette

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 11:09 am
@contrex,
That's what I thought - but sounded so silly because of the "lulu" in the word. In the Wiki reference it gives the example of the diminutive of gladius (sword) is gladiolus; another ref. says"When a vowel sound appeared immediately before -ula-, -ulo-, the -u- appears as -o-: gladiolo- (gladius) for *gladiulo- from gladio- (gladius);" Starts to sound to me as if Carolus is already a diminutive, maybe of Carus???
0 Replies