Vaping is all the rage!!

Germlat

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 03:56 pm
Vaping is the new alternative to smoking. It consists of a vapor mix of Propylene Glycol or vegetable Glycerin, in combination with varying percentages of nicotine and flavoring. The FDA states it is less harmful than tobacco . ...But, we still don't know how this vapor will affect us. I think it is important to keep in mind that vaping consists of inhaling nicotine ( non-carcinogen), yet, nicotine is still a vasoconstrictor (causes decline in blood flow), and a stimulant. I think warnings should be advertised more extensively. What are your thoughts on this new trend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 10,381 • Replies: 215
Topic Closed

hawkeye10

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 04:02 pm
@Germlat,
I think vaping is for pussies. Get some tobacco and light it up.

FYI: I smoke cigars and pot.
Germlat

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 04:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Should you change your name to Iron Lung or Tracheostomy?
hawkeye10

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 04:22 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Should you change your name to Iron Lung or Tracheostomy?

the negative health effects of smoking are greatly oversold. Lying trying to scare people into changing their behavior is a well that has been used over and over again, to the point that now it does not work well. The global warming sellers have been trying to use this pitch for years, and it is going nowhere.

My read of the science is that about 30% of people are genetically immune to any bad effects from smoking, and the rest can smoke up to 40 yo without any ill effects. If someone smokes all their life on average it takes about 5 years, which I consider to be no big deal. Long life is over rated, and enjoying the years we do have is under rated.

My grandpa smoked all of his life. He lived to 94, about 10 years longer than he wanted to. I dont expect to have a problem.
hawkeye10

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 04:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Does anyone remember the days when the anti alcohol crusaders claimed in a very loud voice and for many many years that alcohol shortens life? Where are they now? Oh ya, once the science came in it got proven that those who never drink tend to die early, so they had to shut up.

OOPS!

The anti smoking people can wake me when and if they get scientific proof that the negatives of smoking outweigh the positives (lower weight, less stress induced hormones for example). Even then I might very well decide that the enjoyment of smoking makes it worth doing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 04:53 pm
I lost two brothers to cancer. One smoked heavily. The other breathed much second hand smoke in the places he frequented. Not making a connection. They might have gotten the cancer from carrot sticks. Personally, I consider vaping and tobacco as one. Not saying about pot, because I have no practical experience there.
roger

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 04:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Really? Nicotine is exactly the same as the witches brew found in burning tobacco? I simply cannot believe any part of that.
edgarblythe

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 05:00 pm
@roger,
I just gave my personal take. I'm no doctor Welby or even Doc Holiday for that matter.
hawkeye10

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
consider vaping and tobacco as one

the only two things consistent between the two is putting something to your lips and getting nicotine.

Quote:
Tobacco smoke is made up of more than 7,000 chemicals, including over 70 known to cause cancer (carcinogens)

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/tobaccocancer/questionsaboutsmokingtobaccoandhealth/questions-about-smoking-tobacco-and-health-cancer-and-health

we dont know enough about the flavorings put in Vape, but I tend to doubt that any of the known 70 cancer causing chemicals are there.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 05:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I just gave my personal take. I'm no doctor Welby or even Doc Holiday for that matter.

and maybe just maybe your opinion is based upon pure ignorance.
edgarblythe

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 05:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
**** you for being rude.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 05:11 pm
Liquid nicotine is extracted from tobacco, but unlike tobacco leaves, liquid nicotine can be lethal. It can cause harm when it's inhaled, but it can also be harmful when ingested or absorbed through your skin. Only a small dose is dangerous -- less than one tablespoon of many of the e-liquids on the market is enough to kill an adult, and as little as a teaspoon could kill a child) [source: Richtel]. The number of calls to poison control centers regarding e-cigarette nicotine-infused liquids rose sharply every month between September 2010 and February 2014, from just one call per month to as many as 215 -- that's a rise from 0.3 percent to 41.7 percent of all emergency calls. As many as 51.1 percent of those calls involved accidental poisoning of kids under the age of 5 (roughly 42 percent involved adults age 20 or older) [source: CDC].
Some testing suggests it's not only the nicotine that may be dangerous. Certain e-cigarette devices may also release metals during use -- including tin in some cases -- as well as other impurities known to be toxic and/or carcinogenic.

Despite being on the market for several years, many regulatory agencies and health experts aren't sure just how safe e-cigarettes actually are. Among their concerns is the lack of disclosure of all the ingredients used as well as the lack of (or validity of) health and safety claims by manufacturers about their products. In 2009, for example, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) found some cartridges of liquid nicotine contained about 1 percent diethylene glycol (DEG), a toxic chemical ingredient also found in antifreeze [source: FDA].
To make matters worse, the amount of nicotine listed on a cartridge label may not match the actual amount in the cartridge. FDA testing has found cartridges under the same manufacturing label may release significantly different levels of nicotine, ranging from 26.8 to 43.2 micrograms nicotine per 100 milliliter puff. And those nicotine-free cartridges? Lab tests indicate you're still getting a low dose, despite the claims [source: FDA].

ossobuco

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 08:04 pm
@Germlat,
I started to answer this earlier but wasn't in the mood for cig talk.

I agree with you, Germlat, off the top of my head, for your reasons, but I've biases.

I'm probably not for nicotine gum either, for similar reasons. My bias is that I quit cold, ah, twice, the second one taking, a heavy smoker for twenty years long ago. I so like clean air, but never mind.

The thing was that I kept smoking and smoking to calm myself, relax, enjoy, but when I quit at last, I was... a much calmer person.

With these devices, it just prolongs nicotine attachment, sez me. Plus, being me, I bet if I saw someone with one of those I'd laugh. Apologies to people they are somehow saving (or starting up). That apology isn't completely insincere.
ossobuco

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 08:28 pm
@ossobuco,
I also thought off and on, after quitting, that if I found out I was terminal, I'd go buy cigs. That changed too.

On pot, I don't want to smoke, might gear up dormant smoking memories, besides being smoke to lungs. I'd be fine for it to be legal for me to have a plant for brownies.

My father used to smoke pipes and the occasional cigar. One of the things I bash myself about is that I let his pipes go in a garage sale. None of my memories of him smoking are bad - just the opposite.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 08:37 pm
I enjoyed pipes and cigars for a long time. I was about 50-51 when I quit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 08:48 pm
An hour or so ago, I read wikipedia about Joni Mitchell (because a jazz artist is working her stuff, so I wanted to read up), a person I have appreciated from afar for lots of reasons, somewhat coolly. Anyway, she is some kind of major smoker - the piece had words for that, that I already forget - maybe poster child of smokers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joni_Mitchell

She's about our age, eb.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 08:54 pm
Smoking likely helped her voice to change, but wear and tear and age have to factor in.
ossobuco

Fri 26 Sep, 2014 09:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
She was quoted as saying similar and that is true re singers (I think).

0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 27 Sep, 2014 02:36 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The last time I heard it called that was when I was fifteen, and my dad was warning me of the dangers of merryjuwaynee.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 27 Sep, 2014 02:45 am
@Germlat,
There's been a lot about it over here, mainly because it's a way of smoking in public enclosed spaces. It's also allowed to be advertised, and some brands have been bought up by the tobacco giants.

As with anything new, it's effects are unknown. There is a fear that young people may use it as a gateway to smoking, and that smoking, after years of decline, may actually increase.

So far there's nothing to back up those fears but there is a lot of evidence that people are using them to stop smoking.

Definite downsides are fires caused by charging up electronic cigarettes, there's been a few, and one analysis of 4 vapour liquids found a substance in one of them linked to lung problems in people working in the popcorn industry.