Acting performances that made you laugh yourself silly

Adrian

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 05:30 pm
I still crack up at the scene in "Roxanne" were Steve Martin insults his own nose. "How does it feel to wake up in the morning and smell the coffee.....
In Brazil?"

Also the scene in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" with Steve as Ruprecht.
"Ruprecht! Do you want the genital cuff?!?"

Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 06:09 pm
I'm not a cheap drunk, but I am a cheap laugh.
I even laughed at Ishtar (I think I was supposed to ... ?)

one of the film moments that kills me every time (not so much a performance but a moment) is in Gregory's Girl when Gregory, in a panic, puts deodorant on, on top of his clothes - and then gets out the blow-dryer. My ears just about water whenever I see that - or think about it.

(i just discovered that Gregory's Girl was an early Bill Forsyth film - he's created many film moments that make me giggle, wheeze, laugh and snort ------- Centered in the Eccentric .... click )
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:32 pm
From Bedazzled

When he wishes to be "the most emotionally sensitive man in the world", and they give him short cury hair, freckles and little teeth (I've seen people like that, hilarious), and he keeps crying when he "sees the beauty of the sunset"...LOL "When is that damn sun gonna set?!?!"

When he wishes to be an NBA all star, and he makes behind the back 3 pointers while making those "I'm da man" faces. Friggin' hilarious.

From Airplane

When they "assume crash positions"

Anytime the gay air traffic controller would talk. "Explain it to me from the beginning"--- "Well, first the earth was a big ball of molten lava...."

From Bruce Almighty

After Jim gives Jennifer all those orgasms while she's in the bathroom, she opens the door, charges him, and he body slams her onto the bed
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:42 pm
From Naked Gun 2 and a half;

When Leslie Neilson tried to sing the Star Spangled Banner.

"....and the bombs in the air, they were bursting up there..."

He had, of course, kidnapped the real opera star who was supposed to sing the national anthem at the baseball game.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:43 pm
Animal House. At the toga party when the guy is playing "I gave my love a cherry" on the stairs and Belushi stops, grabs the guitar, and smashes it to pieces against the wall, then hands it back to him. "Sorry."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:49 am
Laughing Very funny!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 06:13 am
You folks have me in stitches just remembering all this stuff.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:00 am
"Some Like it Hot" when Jack Lemmon is doing the tango with Joe E. Brown and then announces to Tony Curtis that he's considering marriage.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:50 am
"Our lives may not amount to a hill of of beans, but dammit! This is our hill and these are our beans!"

-Naked Gun

"I thought you said your Dog did not bite"
"I did"
"But your dog has just bitten me!"
"Ah! But that is not my dog."

-Pink Panther

"Excuse, may I go to the bathroom?"
"yes"
"aaahhhhh....thank you."

-Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:02 am
Those were funny lines but don't address the actors or the performances (scenes).
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:04 am
The half hour exchange between Cheech and Chong after Cheech picks Chong up off he road thinking he was a "chick" in "Up in Smoke". Never fails to make me cry.

Cheech: "Hey man......how my drivin'?"
Chong: "I think we're parked, man."
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:14 am
Naked Gun (and its inspiration, Police Squad) rocked.
Other scenes that made me shoot milk out of my nose:

- The detectives are at an adult store looking for a criminal:

Frank: "What the hell would someone use this for?"
Nordberg: "Sex, Frank?"
Frank: "Uh... not right now, thanks."

- When Nordberg challenges the criminal to a fight, "mano-a-mano" and then promptly gets his ass kicked.

- At the dinner party:

Bad guy: "Ah, Frank Drebin. So nice to see you. Funny, I don't see your name on the guest list"

Frank: "Thats quite alright...I sometimes go by my maiden name"
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:32 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
"Some Like it Hot" when Jack Lemmon is doing the tango with Joe E. Brown and then announces to Tony Curtis that he's considering marriage.

OH MY GOODNESS YES! When Tony Curtis asks Jack Lemmon why would a guy want to marry a guy and he says "Security", I thought I'd choke. That was indeed a very funny scene.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:33 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

OH MY GOODNESS YES! When Tony Curtis asks Jack Lemmon why would a guy want to marry a guy and he says "Security", I thought I'd choke. That was indeed a very funny scene.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 03:35 pm
That was the line! I was going to look it up as I haven't seen the film in a long time. I do remember Lemmon is still "shaking those maracas" and dancing about the room, rather unnerving his buddy.
0 Replies

Baggins

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 06:34 pm
The scene from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with Ruprecht and the genital cuff' and also the scene where Michael Caine whacks on Martin's supposedly lifeless crippled legs with a cat-o-nine tail.

The scene from Mister Roberts where they mix up the fake bourbon for Jack Lemmon.

The scene from The Odd Couple where Lemmon is left alone with the two tittering British women.

The segment from Rushmore where Bill Murray and the young student are trying to get revenge on each other, including running the kids bicycle over and the kid cutting the hydrolics on Murray's car in response.

Just a few of my favorites.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 06:43 am
John Cleese seems to be in the scene whenever I get into a laughing jag...also when Conan O'Brien appears on the Martha Stewart's TV show..it's just quirky.

In "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion", Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow brought me to laughter nirvana when one of them said they invented "Post It" notes.

Unfortunately most of the recent film comedies are geared to the "frat boy" audience but I do remember laughing at Jack Black in "School of Rock" and going back four years to some funny scenes in "Best in Show"
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:30 am
Watched two terrible movies lately in which the stars were horribly miscast.

One was Matthew Broderick in the Herald Hill role in the Music Man with the equally miscast ................ as Marian the Librarian. Broderick is too young looking and too innocent to be Hill. Besides, why presume to remake it? As for whatever her name is (Mary in something about Mary)... Oh! Cameron Diaz . . . she looked too old and too frankly sexual to play Marian.

ANother was Gregory Peck as horatio Hornblower in a bad early 50s movie, complete with three actors stealing two sets of clothes and fitting into them, bad French accents, bad Spanish accents and the leading lady wearing not historically accurate costumes but versions of 50s evening gowns.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 01:44 pm
plainoldme:
I also get a kick out of watching movies that are not intentionally funny but are bad and therefore they are funny.

Most films that have an exaggerated supernatural or monster premise are funny plus the "Planet of the Apes" series is quite humorous to me.

I always enjoy watching the 1958 version of "The Blob"....poor Steve McQueen.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 02:48 pm
Since we're going THERE, let's talk about 'The Ten Commandments'. My mother insisted that we watch it every Easter Sunday and as we got older, my brothers and I literally rolled on the floor in laughter. It's high camp and the dialogue is hysterical. I don't know who's got the funniest lines, Nefetiri, Ramses or Dathan.
"Oh Moses, Moses, I love you, I'd kill for you."
0 Replies