German OR French

ravii

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 05:46 am
Hi all,

This is ravi working in Testing field. Which language will be helpful for ma carrier German or French??

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:32 am
@ravii,
Testing what? Bed springs? Automobile brakes? The patience of your colleagues?

French or German for what? To travel somewhere? Pick up the phone and talk to a customer? Read trade journals?

How about learning to write specific information first? By the way, it's spelled my career, not ma carrier.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 06:41 am
@ravii,
Esparanzo
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:01 am
@ravii,
Hi Rav

But what's a "ma carrier"

Edited to note Jes' above with thanks
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:11 am
@ravii,
ravii wrote:

Hi all,

This is ravi working in Testing field. Which language will be helpful for ma carrier German or French??

It all depends on the following: What country do you reside in? What business are you working in?

You should also consider to polish your English skills before diving into learning a new language.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 10:13 am
@ravii,
As tsar has noted, you should probably start with standard English.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 11:42 am
If you wish to transport your mother up the Congo, French would be useful, if instead you wish to take her up the Matterhorn, either would suffice. If you want to take her to Bratwurst city, German.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 01:13 pm
@ravii,
In general (seeing I do not know which is more prevalent for where you are and for your industry), I would guess French - simply because it is more similar to other many other languages so understanding say Italien or Spanish would be easier once you know speak and understand French.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 01:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Did he ask about Polish?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 02:31 pm
@ravii,
Hi again Rav

It's clear we're not all entirely clear with your need, on your meaning
0 Replies

ravii

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 03:48 am
@ravii,
Thanks for response and sorry for the typo error.

I am working as a software Test Engineer. Have completed my MCA.
Now working for Both German and French language websites of online shopping on both Manual and Automation Testing.
Having a plan to become Business Analyst or coordinator.
But I am in a confusion which one to opt.
As French is used as a official language in 40+ countries whereas German is used in 6 countries.

Now tel me which language to learn that should be help full for my IT carrier. Suggest with specific reason What is the specialty in opting tat.

Thanks in advance
Ravi
jespah

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:35 am
@ravii,
Regardless of the number of countries where a language is spoken, where are you most likely to find and keep work?

Also, Business Analyst roles require a lot of communication, both written and verbal. Are you absolutely certain you want to be learning a language on top of everything else? The BA is usually the diplomatic go-between for management and IT. Your job is to translate requirements and specs from one group to another, to give the technical staff something concrete and technical from ambiguous management ideas, and to give management plain language information from technical complexities. Being a beginner in a foreign language where you have to do that is likely to be a disaster.

Why can't you just work as a BA/Software testing engineer in countries where you can already speak the language? Why make your job more complicated (and far more likely to be something that you'd fail at) by several orders of magnitude?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:38 am
@ravii,
Quote:
As French is used as a official language in 40+ countries whereas German is used in 6 countries.

I think you answered your own question. Unless your job is using significantly more german speaking countries the odds are that French is the better option from you state. And assuming that the populations of each country are similar in size (i.e. all the french countries have tiny populations and all the german have very large populations).

Also, from visiting Germany and speaking with some individuals from that country, it was explained to me that Germans usually speak obviously German, along with one other language which is typically either French, Italien or English.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:45 am
@Linkat,
Try speaking English in France, you won't get very far.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 08:02 am
@izzythepush,
so i heard - fortunately for me I do speak French - helped me out in Germany.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 11:44 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Try speaking English in France, you won't get very far.

I work in France, and my biggest problem when speaking French to people I meet is that often they want to try their English out on me.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 11:48 am
@ravii,
Please solidify your business English before attempting to add another language.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2014 01:02 pm
@contrex,
I once used to deal with our Luxembourg office quite a bit with work. They typically would start speaking french with me, however, I was told as they worked for an American company they were expected to speak English. One man over there giggled at me -- I asked him if my accent was funny (in a non-angry way) -- his reply -- not it is cute. Always flirting I guess - who would ever find a Boston accent cute.
0 Replies

German

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2014 11:08 am
@ravii,
hello, honestly u don't really need to speak german or french in europe because in nearly every country the students in the scool lear english so everyone will understand what u say. but when the pic german. them say. Hallo ich heiße ravii ich kann jetzt auch endlich fließend Deutsch sprechen. and when ur in germany try the beer called "pils" or "radler"
0 Replies