Sun 15 Jun, 2014 02:50 am
If you HAD to chose between the following two, which would would be the worst thing to deal with?

1) You have a difficult pregnancy. Your child is born premature, then dies after only 2 weeks of life. You are heartbroken, but, the initial medical costs are covered by insurance. There are no after costs.

2) Your house collapses into a sinkhole. Everything you own and have worked for your entire life is lost. You don't have insurance, and are left with a mountain of bills. You are also being sued by neighbors who injured themselves when your house collapsed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,708 • Replies: 14
Topic Closed
No top replies

nononono

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 04:45 am
@nononono,
Any feedback would be appreciated. It's in the interest of a sociological experiment...

Some further information for these scenarios:

In scenario 1 (you) the parent(s) have tried several times to conceive with no success. You are left discouraged (and deeply saddened) to say the least about attempting pregnancy again.

In scenario 2 as a result of the disaster you are facing years of litigation and possibly filing for bankruptcy. Also you've lost irreplaceable heirlooms left to you by your parents who have long since passed on.

But which leaves you the worse for the wear?

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:03 am
Your neighbours attempt to sue you would never hold up in court because you never deliberately caused the sinkhole, it was a complete unforseen accident.
However the builders who built the house COULD be sued by you and your neighbours if it can be proved they knew there was a risk of sinkholes happening in the area.
nononono

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:07 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Your neighbours attempt to sue you would never hold up in court because you never deliberately caused the sinkhole.

Ok, whatever. Then same outcome, except your house burned down because your pyro teenage son set it on fire. Maybe you knowingly built it on an Indian burial ground; it was haunted and it imploded on itself while decapitating your neighbor.

It's a hypothetical question. You're getting caught up in the causes; I'm more interested in the outcomes and which is harder to deal with.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:09 am
Well i'll never become pregnant so I can't really say what I'd do..Wink
0 Replies

nononono

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:18 am
Just to be clear,

The question is:

Which is harder to cope with,

1) The death of your two week old premature infant, but little to no financial hardship

or

2) The loss of everything you own and an uncertain financial future filled with litigation and court costs

?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:29 am
Everybody's different, it depends on the individuals philosophy and spiritual outlook.
Personally if my wife lost a baby I'd think "Oh well, **** happens" and get on with our lives, and I'd think exactly the same thing if a sinkhole happened.
We just have to play out whatever hand Fate deals us, it's impossible to choose which scenario we'd prefer.
djjd62

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:30 am
in practical terms, folks are making kids daily, not much new land being produced, give me #1
nononono

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:33 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
So your vote is that these would both be equally easy/hard to rebound from?

Tallied.

0 Replies

nononono

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:34 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
in practical terms, folks are making kids daily, not much new land being produced, give me #1

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by what you wrote. So you're saying that scenario #1 (the loss of your two week old infant) would be harder to cope with?

djjd62

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:41 am
@nononono,
life is coping, both scenarios are tough, #1 seems easiest solved
nononono

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:44 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
life is coping, both scenarios are tough, #1 seems easiest solved

Thank you for your input
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:53 am
Quote:
Nono asked me: So your vote is that these would both be equally easy/hard to rebound from?

I just don't know.
Hypothetical questions are just that - hypothetical - so we can only guess how we'd react if it happened in real life.
Personally I'm a very resilient person (ie tough-minded sonofabitch) so I like to think I'd handle the loss of a baby or a house equally as well..Smile
0 Replies

nononono

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 06:24 am
Apparently this thread has been tagged "3 boobs".

I guess questions about dealing with child death and financial hardships are pretty moronic Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:43 am
Tagged where? What does tagging mean?
Anyway there are morons here who don't like ANY thread on ANY subject, welcome to the asylum..Wink
0 Replies