"Cram it, clown!" The Urban Legend of Bozo

Greyfan

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 04:55 pm
I can usually spot these a mile away, but this one happened before I even knew what urban legends were. In high school up in Michigan, the news spread that on the previous night's local syndicated version of Bozo, a belligerent kid has sassed the host. This story got a lot of mileage, or at least it seemed that way to me. At the time, I did a pretty decent and locally famed imitation of Bozo, so at least people made a point of telling me about it.

Never, over the course of the next three decades, did I doubt the truth of the story.

That is, until reading an article profiling yesterday's local TV stars in Orlando magazine, where I discovered that the SAME story circulated about Orlando's franchisee.

"It never happened," he says in the article. "Its an Urban Legend."

And sure enough, a quick trip to urbanlegends.com confirms it; there is no evidence this boy/Bozo confrontation ever took place. Not in Flint, Michigan, not in Orlando, Florida, not anywhere.

Or did it? Anyone ever hear the story, or, better yet, actually see it on TV?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 15,709 • Replies: 27

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:16 am
This is good news. I am glad that Bozo was vindicated here. Sadly, John Wayne Gacy set the cause for clown acceptance back many years. We are all still in recovery from that disaster.
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:29 am
Stephen King didnt help either. Somehow pointy teeth in a clown takes away from the fun look.
cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:38 am
farmerman wrote:
Stephen King didnt help either. Somehow pointy teeth in a clown takes away from the fun look.

Why do you think I ran him over? Uh oh...please note: that is not a confession, just a moment of outrage.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:51 am
Im uncomfortable around clowns anyway, something genetic I think. One time there was this clown hhired by a crafts fair in whhichh my wife was participating. This clown kept hitting on my wife , so I casually went and asked if there was anything I could do to help "dear" The clown got real, belligerent and , I think the anonimity afforded by his face and costume, gave him a sense of advocacy from the crowd. My wife was getting very uncomfortable so I asked thhe clown to move on and bother somebody else or Id stuff his big shoes up his ass. Thhen the clown tells me that he knows karate and he strikes a pose like Bruce Lee. Thhe picture of this guy in a clown suit with these huge shoes and a karate pose was really funny. We avoided a moment cause I just busted out laughing and hhe was making all kinds of karate poses until he realized that this was , indeed funny, so he departed, honor (aand teeth) intact and he walked around the midway doing karate poses on kids. A new act was born and I was there.
All this because a clown has needs too.
cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:00 am
Heh heh...nice clown story, farmerman. Hey, did you try that tea-smoking thing yet? My preference for tea is a good quality Jasmine. Now, back to clowns...this is still my favourite clown joke, courtesy of Jack Handy:

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:18 am
I did thhe tea smoke thhing and I used lapsang, intense . Ive used it in many meats now. (all except ribs-I dont think Id F with ribs, Im the ribmaster here and my family dictates how they want the sauce and crust .
Im going to try other teas and am gonna do another duck in Earl Gray. That bergamot taste plays over in my mind as maybe a not too floral but spicy taste,
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:21 am
Yeah, Earl Grey should be nice with duck.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:53 am
I heard the same story when we were living in Los Angeles in the mid 60s. I never talked with anyone who actually saw it themselves, but everyone knew someone who said they had.
0 Replies

brad60641

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 06:34 pm
In Chicago, a little girl was supposed to have said "oh s##t" and then, "crammit clownie!" This legend circulated in my jr high around 1975 iirc
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 06:49 pm
This one brought a up a little tear. I still remember what fun cav was.
panzade

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:07 pm
@farmerman,
You two were like Abbot and Costello.
Miss you dude.
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:19 pm
@panzade,
Somehow I shall always see an "Eat ****" sign every time I see a Ronald McDonald.
Eva

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:56 pm
That would make Cav proud, farmerman.

I still miss him, too.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 07:58 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
[Somehow I shall always see an "Eat ****" sign every time I see a Ronald McDonald. /quote]

I do this too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:00 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
This one brought a up a little tear. I still remember what fun cav was.

Yes.

So do I.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 08:41 pm
Willard Scott played Bozo and Ronald McDonald in my area, Wash DC.
0 Replies

elauer

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:15 pm
@Greyfan,
Yes, my brother and I were watching tv in Cleveland Heights Oh. I believe it was our first summer when we just moved there, so that would have been 1973. It had to be that year or the next, because we weren't in that apartment very long.
Anyway, i remember Bozo asking some sort of question and a little kid saying 'Cram it Clown!'. We were totally blown away! I'm pretty sure they could do 5 second time delay back then, but who would ever think you would need to for a kids show? I have frequently told the story, because I saw it with my own eyes.
diywriter

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 02:32 pm
@elauer,
In the Chicago version of the show, I remember a skit with Bozo and another clown (Sandy?) that featured a glass of sickly-bright-yellow lemonade. At one point Boze held the glass up and pronounced, "When it comes to lemonade, this is a really great specimen!" The boys in the band guffawed while the kids in the audience stared blankly.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 02:36 pm
@elauer,
elauer wrote:

Yes, my brother and I were watching tv in Cleveland Heights Oh. I believe it was our first summer when we just moved there, so that would have been 1973. It had to be that year or the next, because we weren't in that apartment very long.
Anyway, i remember Bozo asking some sort of question and a little kid saying 'Cram it Clown!'. We were totally blown away! I'm pretty sure they could do 5 second time delay back then, but who would ever think you would need to for a kids show? I have frequently told the story, because I saw it with my own eyes.

I think elauer is having false memories.
0 Replies