Have you ever fallen asleep at the movie theater?

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 04:00 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I never have, but i have a friend, and i've gone to the movies with him many, many times. He always falls asleep.

Same here. He falls asleep at every movie he goes to. We're part of a movie meetup group too. He goes to a lot of movies.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 04:19 pm
Until recently it was not possible for me to sleep sitting up. So I never fell asleep at the movies.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 06:35 am
Not in a movie theatre, I fell sound asleep during the Irish play "The Weir" a few years back. (dinner, wine, exhaustion combined.) Others with me that night said I hadn't missed anything of importance.

The other night, Shelley and I were watching the Art of the Steal on Netflix in bed on her laptop. My eyes started to get heavy, but I thought I could hold on.... I opened them to find Don Draper talking loudly to some dark-haired woman which I thought was odd in a movie about an art collection.
I said "I think I'm going to go to sleep now."
She said "Sweetie, you've been asleep for an hour and half."

Joe(dinner, wine and exhaustion -the good kind- combined)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 08:30 am
@Roberta,
I am renowned for falling asleep in pretentious French films.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 08:33 am
Operas are my dead zone.

Get that chorus going and I'm

<thud>

gone
Tai Chi

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 09:02 am
@tsarstepan,
Once. Back in the day the Mr. and I had a membership at the Bloor Cinema. We would often have dinner at a Hungarian restaurant down the street that alas no longer exists. After a heavy meal we went to see Seven Samurai's or whatever it is called. Just remember it was really long and we slept through all of it -- both of us. Woke up totally freaked out when the lights came up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 10:25 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I am renowned for falling asleep in pretentious French films.

Wait . . . are you saying that they're pretentious because the put you to sleep? If you sleep through the fil-um, how do you know it's pretentious? My personal experience is that almost all French films are pretentious, but usually mercifully short.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 10:52 am
@Setanta,
I've seen some pretentious read overly dull and preachy French films where I wish I could have fallen asleep instead of watching them but I couldn't fall asleep.

Thankfully there are a lot of great French films to wash the proverbial bad taste from my brain.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 11:01 am
@Setanta,
That's a fair comment. I went to sleep at the beginning of Baghdad Cafe, because it looked as though it was going to be a German angst film partly in English, but woke up very quickly and greatly enjoyed it.

As for the French films, I speak of such offerings as Jean de Floret and Manon de Source.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 11:03 am
Apparently, French television really, really sucks. I have been told by Frenchmen and -women who were native to or long resident int Paris that there are just pages and pages of film adverts in the papers, because people got to the movie theaters in preference to the bad tee-vee. Personally, i think of that as akin to choosing between poison and blowing one's brain out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 11:31 am
Back in the late 70s and early 80s, i lived in a French speaking community, in the United States, so immersed that i would go days without speaking English. There was this one joker who was addicted to film, but who disparaged English-speaking cinema, whether American, Canadian, British, etc. (I later figured out it was largely because his English was so poor that he couldn't follow what was going on). He would have film fests in his apartment, during which nearly everyone fell asleep, including the other francophones and his girlfriend.

I therefore decided to expose him to Rocky Horror Picture Show. For those not familiar with this American cult phenomenon, the film has been in theaters continuously for almost 40 years. Some theaters run it every Saturday night. Cult fans will show up dressed as the characters and line up in front of the screen to act out the on-screen action. The audience will shout out more memorable lines along with the people on-screen. The audience also brings props--when the newly weds are struggling through the rain to Frank N. Furter's castle, they open umbrellas in the theater and start using their spray bottles filled with water. When Frank N. Furter proposes a toast, they all shout "A toast!" along with him, and throw pieces of toast around the theater. (Theater owners don't mind, they known they'll have a full house every Saturday night.) Our French cinema fanatic was speechless at first, but obviously excited at the thought of audience participation. He began shouting in French, which only annoyed the other patrons. At one point, we noticed he had slipped away. A few minutes later, he ran up the aisle, stark naked, and began dancing among the people in costume at the front of the theater. They helped management drag him out. Fortunately, he got so overwrought that he lost what little, bad English he had, so we were able to convince the police that he just didn't understand. I suspect they released him to us because they were fed up themselves, and were glad to be rid of him.

Here's an example of the lengths people will go to dress up like the characters in the film:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/229/d/1/Rocky_Horror_Picture_Show_4_by_PerlaNera83.jpg

I would be very much surprised to learn that anyone had ever actually fallen asleep during showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show.
dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 06:10 pm
@Setanta,
There's a new theatre production of Rocky in town as we speak!

We had the cult cinema audience thing for many years......no longer, sadly.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 06:26 pm
I had always wondered if the cult performances had spread beyond North America. Even if it is not done any longer, they had a hell of a good run. According to Wikipedia, it was made for $1.4 million US. According to their article, it's still in release, the longest running in history.
Germlat

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 06:53 pm
@ehBeth,
My husband would agree with you...and I hardly ever subject him to the torture....but, I love opera.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 07:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Dr Zhivago

oh yeah
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 09:53 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:
Dr Zhivago

oh yeah

http://media.giphy.com/media/TipjjeSlagWgU/giphy.gif
IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 10:56 pm
I can only remember falling asleep one time. It was the last movie my wife dragged me to see ... that boring Catching Fire Hunger Games movie.
dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 03:05 am
@Ticomaya,
Just watched that on DVD. Pretty damned white vanilla.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 03:22 am
@Ticomaya,
I said I never fell asleep during a film, but that's not true. My husband and my brother both believe that 2001 was the absolute best film ever until of course the follow up. I've tried to watch that movie at least 5 times and I always fall asleep during that movie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 08:25 am
I forgot about 2001. I was okay, until the last twenty or so minutes. I found the ending boring and zonked out.