gollum

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 12:43 pm
I read in The New Yorker:
"Ocean water is rich in iodine, which is why endemic goiter is not observed in coastal areas. From the ocean, iodine is transferred to the soil by rain."

I thought ocean water evaporates without the substances contained in the water. Therefore the resulting rain I think should be pure.

Who is right?

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 12:59 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
I thought ocean water evaporates without the substances contained in the water. Therefore the resulting rain I think should be pure.

Rainwater is not pure like distilled water. There is plenty of stuff in it, and its makeup varies by location. The iodine contents of rain water diminishes as the distance from the coast increases.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 01:04 pm
@gollum,
Take into account gaseous iodine released by seaweed..
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2013 05:34 pm
@gollum,
Wave action raises raises mist into the atmosphere near shorelines without evaporation. It referred to as 'atomization.' The atomized seawater particles 'rain' out onto the shore and then evaporate leaving salt as deposits.

Rap
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2013 02:39 pm
@raprap,
atomized ocean evaporates contain all sorts of dissociated ions, including iodine and astatine. Sea salt also contains iodine and astatine as the ocean water evaporates in pools that get isolated from flushing. The multi acre salt pans at the base of the San Francisco airport are great examples of evaporate salts. Different bacteria colonize the various pans as the salt concentrations increase. These pasn take on severl different hues from the bacteria nd diatoms . Very neat colors patterns. I always hoped the planes didn't dump their looos right over the salt pans
0 Replies

RayEGarcia

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 06:11 am
@gollum,
Vapour pressure of sodium chloride is very low, and will not evaporate except at very high temperature. And when ocean water evaporates it only leaves nano scale particles of sodium chloride in air.

0 Replies

infodavidwatson

Reply Thu 16 Apr, 2015 04:24 am
Evaporation is an essential part of the water cycle. The sun (solar energy) drives evaporation of water from oceans, lakes, moisture in the soil, and other sources of water. In hydrology, evaporation and transpiration (which involves evaporation within plant stomata) are collectively termed evapotranspiration. Evaporation of water occurs when the surface of the liquid is exposed, allowing molecules to escape and form water vapor; this vapor can then rise up and form clouds. The tracking of evaporation from its source on the surface of the earth, through the atmosphere as vapor or clouds, and to its fate as precipitation closes the atmospheric water cycle, and embodies the concept of the precipitation shed.
0 Replies

selectmytutor

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 11:57 pm
@gollum,
Hi Gollum,
Rain water is considered as purest form of water due to evaportion by sun, every impurity present in earth water is left behind during vaporization, so the rain water is pure, but when it comes down than we can't say that it is pure because when it comes down to the earth as rain, it dissolve all the impurities present in the air or atmosphere. So the iodine can't be transferred to the soil by the rain water which is evaporated from the ocean water.
0 Replies